Author Topic: Nick Rewind channel?  (Read 2699 times)

Nick Rewind channel?
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
First I should say I think this belongs in this topic as it would greatly effect Legends, but if you feel it should be moved go ahead...

Anyways, I'm a member of a Salute Your Shorts group on myspace (obviously not the most reliable of sources) but they sent out a bulletin hearing of rumors that at the end of the year, GaS would be shutting down in place of a Nick Rewind channel...anyone else heard anything about this. I'm personally not a huge fan of the idea as I already own tons of classic Nick on DVD and am currently trying to tape all of Legends and Nick Arcade so I would at least like to have it on the air till I can complete that. Thoughts? Think there is any truth to this rumor?

Offline Piranesi

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 01:39:22 PM »
Haven't heard anything, but that would be pretty cool if they could just make it like Nick from, say, 1995.  If I can see Kenan and Kel, I'm happy.

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 01:49:03 PM »
I'm kind of indifferent, to be honest... There are some good old shows, there are some bad ones. Right now, I'm getting fairly tired of game shows, to be honest, so something new (but old) would be okay.

I will actually move this to the Dark Forest since it doesn't discuss Legends episodes. Thanks for your consideration, though. :wink:

Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 09:42:04 AM »
Quote from: ""nicklegends""
I'm kind of indifferent, to be honest... There are some good old shows, there are some bad ones. Right now, I'm getting fairly tired of game shows, to be honest, so something new (but old) would be okay.

I will actually move this to the Dark Forest since it doesn't discuss Legends episodes. Thanks for your consideration, though. :wink:

no problem  :wink:

I'm kinda in the same boat you are. Double Dare 2000, finders keepers, get the picture, and to a small extent GUTS aren't really doing it for me anymore. I've just seen them all far too many times. I am however still enjoying Nick Arcade and Legends and don't want to lose the channel as a result of those going with it. I do think this would be good though if they really did it retro and included 90s commercial bumpers, etc. Even though I own most of these for good programings sake I'd say these shows would make it a worthwhile viewing experience:

interchangable game show slot, basically GaS stuff (2 hours a day)
Rocko's modern life
Rugrats (early episodes only)
Doug
Salute Your Shorts
Kenan and Kel
Clarrisa explains it all
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Ren and Stimpy
My Brother and Me

I'm not so much in to these but I know others are and they could help fill out the network:
Roundhouse
All That
Maybe some old Nick Jr stuff like David the Gnome
Pete and Pete
Welcome Freshmen

I think if it was mainly structured around those shows the network would at least be very enjoyable and frequently tape worthy for the stuff that has yet to be released.

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I would divide it into 3 blocks: Classic Nick Game Shows, Classic Nick, and Classic Nick Jr.

It would be something like this:

Classic Nick Game Shows
Classic Nick
Classic Nick Jr.

12:00 AM- Kenan and Kel
12:30 AM- Welcome Freshmen
1:00 AM- Pete and Pete
1:30 AM- Clarissa Explains It All
2:00 AM- Space Cases
2:30 AM- Allen Strange
3:00 AM- Animorphs
3:30 AM- My Brother and Me
4:00 AM- Salute Your Shorts
4:30 AM- All That (Early Seasons Only)
5:00 AM- Noah Knows Best
5:30 AM- Ren and Stimpy
6:00 AM- Aaaahhh! Real Monsters
6:30 AM- The Angry Beavers
7:00 AM- Rocko's Modern Life
7:30 AM- Doug
8:00 AM- Rugrats (Early Seasons only)
8:30 AM- Kablam!

9:00 AM- Allegra's Window
9:30 AM- Gullah Gullah Island
10:00 AM- Rupert
10:30 AM- Kipper
11:00 AM- Maisy
11:30 AM- Little Bill
12:00 PM- Little Bear
12:30 PM- Muppet Babies

1:00 PM- Alex Mack
1:30 PM- Taina
2:00 PM- Hey Dude
2:30 PM- Are You Afraid of the Dark
3:00 PM- Cousin Skeeter
3:30 PM- The Brothers Garcia
4:00 PM- Nick Cannon Show
4:30 PM- Caitlin's Way
5:00 PM- Invader Zim
5:30 PM- CatDog
6:00 PM- Hey Arnold!
6:30 PM- Pelswick
7:00 PM- Nick Arcade
7:30 PM- You're On!
8:00 PM- Legends of the Hidden Temple
8:30 PM- Finders Keepers
9:00 PM- Get the Picture
9:30 PM- Figure It Out
10:00 PM- Wild and Crazy Kids (No 2002 episodes)
10:30 PM- What Would You Do
11:00 PM- Guts (Including Global)
11:30 PM- Double Dare (All versions except DD2K)

It's sad I remember all of that :P

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

Offline Piranesi

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:57:36 PM »
I would aspode if Legends was only on once a day.  But I'd trade one of the current 12 for one of Kenan and Kel.

Offline Aiselne

• Purple Parrot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yugiohforums.com/
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 03:54:09 AM »
Wouldn't it make better sense to have the programs geared for older audiences on at the prime time hour. So make the game shows on from 11:30 to 6:00 a la Adult Swim (obviously not repeating at 2:30). Also, make a few of the shows hour-long blocks while nixing a couple of the shows. (You're On, Pelswick, Nick Cannon Show, Caitlin's Way) These shows marked the beginning of the end in terms of animation and real-life quality.

====UNDER CONSTRUCTION====
7:00 AM - Welcome Freshman
7:30 AM - Adventures of Pete and Pete
8:00 AM - Weinerville
8:30 AM - Space Cases

9:00 AM- Allegra's Window
9:30 AM- Gullah Gullah Island
10:00 AM- Rupert
10:30 AM- Kipper
11:00 AM- Maisy
11:30 AM- Little Bill
12:00 PM- Little Bear
12:30 PM- Muppet Babies

1:00 AM- Adventures of Rin Tin Tin/Fraggle Rock
1:30 AM- Bill Nye the Science Guy/Fraggle Rock

2:00 PM- Rocko's Modern Life
2:30 PM- Rocko's Modern Life
3:00 PM- Rocko's Modern Life
3:30 PM- Rocko's Modern Life

4:30 PM- Doug
5:00 PM- Invader ZIM
5:30 PM- Hey Arnold!
6:00 PM- Alex Mack
6:30 PM- Cousin Skeeter
7:00 PM- Adventures of Pete and Pete
7:30 PM- Salute Your Shorts
8:00 PM- Taina
8:30 PM- Taina

9:00 PM- Movie
9:30 PM- Movie
10:00 PM Movie
10:30 PM- Hey Dude ?

11:00 AM- Legends of the Hidden Temple
11:30 AM- Legends of the Hidden Temple
12:00 AM- Nick Arcade
12:30 AM- Nick Arcade
1:00 AM- Wild and Crazy Kids (No 2002 episodes)
1:30 AM- Wild and Crazy Kids

2:00 AM- Get the Picture
2:30 AM- Guts
3:00 AM- What Would You Do?
3:30 AM- Double Dare (All versions except DD2K)
4:00 AM- Scaredy Camp (idk...)
4:30 AM- Nickelodeon Launch Box
5:00 AM- WMAC Masters
5:30 AM- WMAC Masters
6:00 AM- Daria
6:30 AM- Daria

NOTES:

Using the orginal "Face" instead of the monkey thing they have going on now. It's not cute, it's creepy.

Back-to-Back Switches out nightly with other (real-life only) programs

Possible Canidates:
* All That (1994-2005)
* The Brothers Garcia (2000-2004)
* Clarissa Explains It All (1991-1994)
* Kenan & Kel (1996-2000)
* The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo (1996-1999)
* Taina (2001-2002)

Switches out daily with animated programs and real life oldies (plus 12 years)

Possibles

* Salute Your Shorts (1994-1997)
* Doug (1991-1994)
* Rocko's Modern Life (1993-1997)
* All That (1994-1999)
* You Can't Do That on Television (1979-1991)
* Welcome Freshmen(1991-1993)

Would switch out the hour time slot with other game shows bi-weekly

Possible Canidates:
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Figure it Out
Finders Keepers
Make the Grade
Think Fast
Wild and Crazy Kids
Nick News (Hey, learn something.)

Hoping for it, alot of buzz on YouTube for this sort of campy thing. If not then,
5:00 AM- Mr. Wizards World
5:30 AM- Mr. Wizards World
6:00 AM- Ghostwriter
6:30 AM- Gumby

Suggestions?

Offline TBombMadeEZ

• Blue Barracuda
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:07:13 AM »
I don't think Doug can air on Nickelodeon anymore, as Disney owns the rights.

That's a lot of shows to put on there, I think it'd have to be cut down rather significantly, but I think it'd work. Some of these shows, while some might like, just aren't that good and should be off the list.

I don't think there is a doubt if this channel was made, "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?", "The Adventures of Pete & Pete", and "Clarissa Explains It All" would be on this channel.

P.S. Nick Jr. Rewind???  Who's watching that, when Spongebob is on?

Offline Aiselne

• Purple Parrot
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:55:22 AM »
From what I understand (very little): Nickelodeon owns the episodes it produced from '91-'94. The only episodes it couldn't air would be the revival eps and the feature length movie.

I thought about the quality of shows on and I agree, but the overall purpose of a show like this is to attract as many viewers as possible, especially in the late hours to dent the adult swims copies out there.

I can almost guess the ones youre describing:
Taina.
Weinerville
Cousin Skeeter
Hey Dude
Fraggle Rock <-Personally, if I were in charge of the world, I would force children to watch the entire series.

The idea behind the Nick Jr. thing would be toward parents who grew up with Nick Jr. and want to get their children into it. Sort of getting the kids to like something because of the parents.

Offline TBombMadeEZ

• Blue Barracuda
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 01:35:36 PM »
Yeah, but with Adult Swim, they put on shows that appeal the most to the 18-34 demographic. (Family Guy, Futurama, Aqua Teen, Robot Chicken etc.)  These are all quality, entertaining shows.

You look at some of these Nickelodeon shows, and you think to yourself that the quality of entertainment just isn't there.  Whether it's humor, storyline, or even acting, these types of shows definitely lack, and ratings would show that.

You don't want to give the public EVERYTHING, you want to give the public enough to keep them satisfied, otherwise they'll take things for granted.  Simple marketing strategy.

The two shows in one hour thing Nickelodeon likes to do works well.  If they can pull you in for one half hour, you'll probably stay for the second, so therefore you want you best television out there.  Why do you think certain shows air "x" amount of times throughout the day?

Offline Aiselne

• Purple Parrot
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »
I would stop short of giving the title quality to shows like Family Guy, 12 oz. Mouse. Shows that have to slam someone over the head trying to convince the audience that it's funny. In addition, you have to be careful of are subscribing to the theory that all viewers have a short attention span and can accept seeing the same shows over and over again. Wrong! That might work with young, impressionable children with malleable minds, but older viewers are a different breed altogether. Here I'm trying to address Nick's constant problem: shoving the same idea down someone's throat no matter how half-thought out (another word was supposed to be here, but no cursing) they appear to be.

The main demo of Nick lies between 2-14. The problem does not lie with the 2-6 yr. olds who actually do have short attn. spans, but with not trying to attract the 15-24 yr. olds who wants that nostalgic look
back. Unfortunately,  they always seem to run into Spongebob and Fairly Odd parents being run 5+ times a day (thats 60% of Nick's schedule). When a channel has to depend on a couple of shows for at least half of their air time just to hold a small demo like the 6-14 yr. olds, then there is a problem. A big problem.

Top 10 Combined Broadcast/Basic Cable shows among Kids 2-11 for the week of 5/28-6/3/2007 , 6a-6a:
K2-11 Total Delivery (000)
NICK: SpongeBob SquarePants (6/2; 9:30a) 2062
NICK: SpongeBob SquarePants (6/1; 4p) 2033
DSNY*: Hannah Montana (5/30; 7p) 1937
DSNY*: Cory in the House (5/30; 6:30p) 1920
DSNY*: Suite Life of Zack & Cody (5/30; 7:30p) 1899
NICK: Drake & Josh (6/1; 5:30p) 1856
NICK: SpongeBob SquarePants (6/3; 9:30a) 1844
NICK: Fairly OddParents (6/2; 10a) 1828
NICK: SpongeBob SquarePants (6/2; 3:30p) 1806
NICK: SpongeBob SquarePants (6/2; 9a) 1759

This channel serves to not only solve that problem, but make a dent into the adult swim market (notice I said "dent" not capsize).

As for quality, no channel can constantly pack quality entertainment into a channel day in and day out (especially when it runs 24 hours). Your idea couldn't be done without constantly using the hour block 3+ times, a slippery slope to the tar pit Nick is currently in.

Offline Piranesi

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 03:19:32 AM »
We need to start brainwashing kids from age 1 to like Legends.

Offline TBombMadeEZ

• Blue Barracuda
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 07:38:40 AM »
The main demo of Nick lies between 2-14. The problem does not lie with the 2-6 yr. olds who actually do have short attn. spans, but with not trying to attract the 15-24 yr. olds who wants that nostalgic look
back.

Yes, but my point is if you're trying to get more people to watch from that demographic, don't you want your best shows on most?  Those 2-6 year olds, are watching spongebob no matter what you put on other channels.

My main point is that Nickelodeon putting on every single show they've ever made on this channel is a ludicrous idea.  First off the quality of some of these shows are awful. If you want to attract the very young crowd, then quality of shows don't matter, but if you're trying to attract the 15-24 year olds, you want to put on shows that don't suck.

Second off, you can't give the public what they want all the time.  Nickelodeon knows this, and I don't think they'd put half the shows on this channel because of this.  You gotta put the most popular, best quality shows to attract ratings and advertising.

Offline Aiselne

• Purple Parrot
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »
(I'm really enjoying this)

Yes, you want to make money off your shows but one must learn from the example of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, when you find something that works, and over saturate the market with it, then it gets stale and people stop watching. Spongebob's time will come and Nick needs to think about like after the show has ended.

This channel doesn't include even 2/3rds of whats available. In addition, one person cannot be the final judge of whats will suck and what will air well. "Family Guy" is constantly (and deservedly) argued to be one of the worst cartoons in prime time history, yet it still exsits. If you truly believe some of these shows "suck" then point out which ones.

Offline bluelobster

• New Player
    • View Profile
Nick Rewind channel?
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 12:01:03 AM »
Nickeloden (and it's parent company) own the 1991-94 episodes of Doug and can air them at their discretion - I know I've seen them on the Nicktoons channel before.

If this changeover did happen, and I wouldn't be surprised - GAS seems to be  completely on computer automation at this point - Legends will probably have a spot on the lineup.  It's become one of the signature "classic Nick" series, particularly among college students and young adults, which is probably who they'd be targeting this network towards.   Double Dare would probably also return, at the very least, in terms of game shows. The three most-remembered game shows from the Nick era are usually DD, Legends, and GUTS, so they'd probably be the three that remained, at the very least.

The channel will no doubt start off with an extremely diverse lineup of pretty much everything that fits the channel's image (pretty much every show they own), then they'll start adding and removing  until they get the lineup they want.  If they DO air What Would You Do, record it, it might not last forever.

They almost assuredly won't lease anything - at least unless the channel starts to become successful, so don't expect to see You Can't Do that on Television, David the Gnome, or anything like that. It could happen, but it probably won't.