Author Topic: College Life  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Toltendo

• Toltendo, person who watches Legends
  • Pharaoh
    • View Profile
    • My Artist Website
College Life
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
Quote from: ""The Ancient Warrior""
With me, I'm just not getting the material in Calculus II.  I'm trying and I think I get it but then I bomb on the homework and the quizzes (unless it's during the recitation on Thursday; the TA's classes always seem easier).  I mean, I'm trying and doing well at managing my time, but I just keep getting stuff wrong (as opposed to in high school where I was at the top of my Calculus I class).

Is there any way to take a workshop class or even a second class related to Calc. 2?

I suggest you don't think of all of the heavy work or if you're thinking so much about how hard it is, stop thinking like that and do the work anyway even if you get it wrong, it's the steps that are important.
"I literally spat Coke on my computer screen when I saw that new screen name." -The Bandit King

Sorry, but I'm caught in a bad romance. Could you pick up the telephone and just dance? The paparazzi are here to video phone us. -Toltendo

<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=Toltendo&mnOn=true&stat=1&imageNum=2&rankOn=true&projectsOn=false&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></ifram

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
College Life
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »
Like I said, it's not like I'm not trying.  I've been doing all the work and leaving no question without some answer, right or wrong.  I think I've been doing better with the homework lately, but when you're averaging 5 out of 8 correct and it's one of the only grades to go on, things tend to look grim.

When I went into the class, I thought it would be a smooth transition from Calc I in high school.  It didn't turn out that way, but I think I'm still better with math than I am at science, so I'd rather stick with this if anything.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline Toltendo

• Pharaoh
    • View Profile
    • My Artist Website
College Life
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »
Well it always happens whenever you're taking an AP Stat, Calc, or whatever it is. Did you also take the AP test if it was an AP class?
"I literally spat Coke on my computer screen when I saw that new screen name." -The Bandit King

Sorry, but I'm caught in a bad romance. Could you pick up the telephone and just dance? The paparazzi are here to video phone us. -Toltendo

<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=Toltendo&mnOn=true&stat=1&imageNum=2&rankOn=true&projectsOn=false&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></ifram

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
College Life
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2009, 05:08:49 PM »
I did; that's why I didn't have to take Calculus I first.  I scored a 4 on the exam.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline Toltendo

• Pharaoh
    • View Profile
    • My Artist Website
College Life
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
I see. I would have taken the class and not take the AP test. I feel that there is a need to do some repetition on a certain subject that I might have trouble with. Or maybe I love the subject so much, I would rather take the same subject at college.

The only AP classes that I took was Government and Economics, one semester for each. My goal was not to take the AP and receive that as credit. The two school system institutions may teach the same topics, but the way you learn it is different from high school.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
College Life
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
I see your point, but I didn't have trouble with the class at all in high school.  It's a continuation of the class that's giving me trouble I didn't expect.

That, and since I racked up just enough credits for one semester, the less money we have to pay for me to get a degree from here, the better. :)

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
  • Okay, I finally have a tagline. Happy now?
    • View Profile
College Life
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
I feel your pain, guys. I started out strong at the beginning of my Chemistry class, but it's all been downhill from there. The recent stuff we've been discussing is absolutely over my head (oxidiation-reduction, acid-base reactions, etc.). I made straight A's & B's in all my science courses in high school, but college is a whole different ballgame.

Plus, I have a Speechmaking test tomorrow. Fun stuff... :roll:
Favorite Episode: The Secret Map of the Bandit Queen
Favorite Room: The Chamber of the Sacred Markers
Favorite Team: Blue Barracudas

It's baaaaaaaack...
Legends of the Hidden Temple: Rebirth! (return date TBD)

1980s - Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, etc.
1990s - Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Nirvana, etc.
Present - Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc.
You do the math.

"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the questions!"
--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline Toltendo

• Pharaoh
    • View Profile
    • My Artist Website
College Life
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2009, 06:24:12 PM »
Actually, I didn't feel the need to take the class because of the influence of my AP teachers. We did not focus on preparing for the AP test, rather our teachers advised us that if we want to study for the AP, we should do it on our own. The teachers wanted to lean to a discussion-based class, with some required reading from at least one textbook that both of my teachers have critique.

for my Economics teacher, we had an AP textbook that he found to be very biased by having some exercise questions that are basically one-faced, mostly right-wing and capitalist. He took the time to really go through the book and give had us answer questions that were the least biased.

My government teacher had us read a AP approved textbook to read for quizzes that had little or no effect on our grades. The important assignment that would be based on our grade were 3 essays we wrote that was in total 20 pages (6 to 7 pages each). It's easy enough to finish the 3 essays, it was mostly repetition and giving lots of resources.

Offline The Bamboo Forest

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
College Life
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2009, 05:57:12 AM »
I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night, because I have only TWO CLASSES TODAY PEOPLE! GOHEAD GOHEAD!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

In imitation of TBK: I've lost my fucking mind, haven't I? :lol:

Favorite Season: Season Two
Favorite Episode: The Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor
Favorite Team: Orange Iguanas
Favorite Room: The Bamboo Forest

Seen all 120 episodes of Legends.
Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga: The Epitomes of Musical Fart

Fanfiction Projects (On hold): Legends: Wild Jungle

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
  • Okay, I finally have a tagline. Happy now?
    • View Profile
College Life
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2009, 06:13:47 AM »
Don't steal my lines! :D  J/K...
No Biology class today, so I'm making the most of it. Studying, reading...but mostly posting on this forum. :lol:
Favorite Episode: The Secret Map of the Bandit Queen
Favorite Room: The Chamber of the Sacred Markers
Favorite Team: Blue Barracudas

It's baaaaaaaack...
Legends of the Hidden Temple: Rebirth! (return date TBD)

1980s - Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, etc.
1990s - Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Nirvana, etc.
Present - Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc.
You do the math.

"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the questions!"
--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
College Life
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
Quote from: ""Toltendo""
We did not focus on preparing for the AP test, rather our teachers advised us that if we want to study for the AP, we should do it on our own.

Why is it an AP class if you don't study for the test? Why not just call it, like, "Advanced Economics?"

Offline Toltendo

• Pharaoh
    • View Profile
    • My Artist Website
College Life
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2009, 04:47:20 PM »
Quote from: ""nicklegends""
We did not focus on preparing for the AP test, rather our teachers advised us that if we want to study for the AP, we should do it on our own.
Why is it an AP class if you don't study for the test? Why not just call it, like, "Advanced Economics?"

My teachers are very radical. They rather want you to be engaged into government, current events, and so forth to prepare you for the future when we're the ones who are gonna be in control.

They know that the AP is BS, especially my government teacher.

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
College Life
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »
Quote from: ""nicklegends""

My teachers are very radical. They rather want you to be engaged into government, current events, and so forth to prepare you for the future when we're the ones who are gonna be in control.

They know that the AP is BS, especially my government teacher.

What I'm saying, is if the AP is BS, then why do they have an AP class?

Offline Toltendo

• Pharaoh
    • View Profile
    • My Artist Website
College Life
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
Because my high school wants to look good by bragging that they have these AP classes, assuming that the students excel better than the regular.

Personally, I expected AP to be hard and intense, but then it was all just BS because it wasn't as difficult. It's just looks good for the colleges to look on paper.

Offline The Bamboo Forest

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
College Life
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
Well, my room finally got a new LAN cable so I can start getting higher-speed internet. Downloads don't work well on wireless...

Favorite Season: Season Two
Favorite Episode: The Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor
Favorite Team: Orange Iguanas
Favorite Room: The Bamboo Forest

Seen all 120 episodes of Legends.
Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga: The Epitomes of Musical Fart

Fanfiction Projects (On hold): Legends: Wild Jungle