Author Topic: Short survey for a Linguistics term paper  (Read 358 times)

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
Short survey for a Linguistics term paper
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »
Nothing too big, I just want to see who might reply to this with some answers to help me out.  I've got a term paper to write for my Linguistics class, and I'm trying to base it on a little survey of plural endings that people use.  So, I've written fifteen terms, and all I want you to do is give me a private message with each in the plural form you usually use for the words.

Please don't look the words up until after you've sent the message off. Just think of the form you'd most likely use to turn each word into a plural, but try not to overthink it as you're doing so.  Many of these have more than one acceptable answer.  But even then, I'm not trying to judge anyone's intelligence or knowledge with this, simply to analyze why one ending might be used over another.  That said, here are the words:

1. octopus
2. samurai
3. larva
4. millennium
5. index
6. stigma
7. virus
8. thesis
9. moose
10. focus
11. caucus
12. sphinx
13. white dwarf
14. genus
15. phenomenon
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:00:23 AM by The Silver Monkey »
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
Re: Short survey for a Linguistics term paper
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
I'll just lock this so no one can post in it.

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.