Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Discussion Topic  (Read 21238 times)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda Discussion Topic
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
If Mido would've died in the Forest Temple instead of Saria, no one would've even cared. Probably not even Saria or the Great Deku Tree. ;)

And speaking of the Forest Temple, I found this interesting analysis of the Forest Temple where a user from GameFAQS posted his thoughts behind the history of the Forest Temple. Now this whole analysis is just fan-made and none of it is actually true, but it is an interesting theory and a very good read. Its kind of long to read but worth it.

Everyone knows that the Temples in OoT are mainly based off of other types of building structures: Shadow Temple is a mausoleum, Fire Temple a jail, Spirit Temple a shrine of worship. So what is the Forest Temple? And what can we extrapolate about the Forest Temple (FT from now on)?

Immediately entering the area of the Sacred Meadow directly outsid the FT, we see high stone walls. Walking into the actual FT, we are inside the walls, but still outside a large building. In the center of the building, the main room, are branches to all other rooms in the building. In the back, there are two courtyards where you can even see the sky and more high walls away from the building. Deep inside the FT, the boss lair looks like a parlor. Judging from the building's defense structure, courtyards, a sewage system, and hidden location in the woods, the FT was most likely a castle.

However, now it is an abandoned castle, a haunted, abandoned castle. Why might this be so?

Considering Hyrule's bloody history, written all over the torture chambers in the Shadow Temple, it makes me believe that a great atrocity happened at the FT. The FT is situated in the far back of the forest, hidden deep away. It was most likely a final stronghold against invaders. After invaders got through the Lost Woods, they had to go through a small maze in the Sacred Meadow, most likely some sort of defensive measure. Indeed, a portcullis can even bar off the maze, trapping invaders within, forcing them to reach the FT. Guards of the FT, from the higher ground gained by the ladder could snipe off victims in the maze.

If invaders somehow broke through, they'd have to enter a narrow passage. More archers at the top could snipe away enemies and only a few guards could tackle on huge armies and still successfully defend (think 300). When all else failed, the actual FT is on yet even higher ground, with stairs (crumbled now) to reach it. Higher ground is always more advantage, especially for defense.

Thus, I feel that the FT is a castle, although more precisely a stronghold as a final defense. Inside, there are fine carpets, many rooms, a fairly relaxing courtyard (if monsters weren't around). This makes me believe that nobility or royalty used the FT as a final stand against invaders, and that they hid here.

However, the FT is now destroyed mostly; perhaps the invaders made it into the FT. That would explain some of the crumbling architecture. Moreso, if invaders actually made it into the FT, everyone inside was most likely slaughtered. This probably explains the ghosts and ghouls and inhabit the FT now, remnants of people's souls, lingering in the FT, wanting revenge. Eventually, they even obtained magic as they aged, creating twisting corridors, falling ceilings, and a rotatable superstructure, without even destroyed the upper buildings.

Perhaps that rotatable superstructure was designed before. There are many rooms below, hidden behind the thick walls, shut off by bars. Perhaps this superstructure was always there, and that basement was a jail. Perhaps then, the parlor was actually a high class torture chamber, where the nobles would entertain themselves with the screams of victims. But I digress.

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • http://freewebs.com/thelightningroom
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:00 AM »
I'm thinking of getting Skyward Sword. If only I get the grades for it.
Favourite Team: Red Jaguars
Favourite Episode: The Jewel-Encrusted Egg of Catherine the Great, tied with the Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugpak and the Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain
Favourite Season: Season 3

When artists like LMFAO, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jespen and Justin Bieber and songs like "Party Rock Anthem", "Call Me Maybe", "Thrift Shop" and others are succeeding in today's music industry and about 99% of the world is buying their shit and any argument you make is followed by nonsense from these people, you would wish the world had ended on 21st December 2012.

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »

Apparently, you can do this for the N64 games.
Favourite Episode: The Jewel-Encrusted Egg of Catherine the Great, tied with the Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugpak and the Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain

When artists like LMFAO, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jespen and Justin Bieber and songs like "Party Rock Anthem", "Call Me Maybe", "Thrift Shop" and others are succeeding in today's music industry and about 99% of the world is buying their shit and any argument you make is followed by nonsense from these people, you would wish the world had ended on 21st December 2012.

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2012, 12:23:43 AM »
I'm never getting Skyward Sword at this point.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 15, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »
I actually wanted to get Skyward Sword this summer, and I regret not doing so. Now I have to wait until I get out of school in December to even try the game. I heard that it was really good though, and the story takes place before the events of OoT.

And speaking of OoT, what is everyone's favorite tracks in that game? For me, my top five would be:

1.) Spirit Temple
2.) Forest Temple
3.) Gerudo Fortress
4.) Zelda's Lullaby (especially the one that plays when you talk to Young Zelda)
5.) Song of Storms

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 15, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
My favorite tracks would be:

1. Forest Temple (Very addicting music)
2. Song of Storms (Also addicting)
3. The music where you sneak into the castle (Even as a kid, I always loved this tune and trying to avoid the guards)
4. Zelda's Lullaby (Both the background music and the ocarina tune)
5. Spirit Temple (One of the few temples that has a memorable tune)
6. Saria's Song (Darunia's dancing just makes it better XD)
7. Zora's Domain theme (Goes perfectly with the water/aquatic theme, and it's catchy)
8. Gerudo's Fortress (What makes it so great is it's theme of "avoiding the guards")
9. Hyrule Field theme (Even though it's played a little too much in this game)
10. Kakariko Village theme (I know it's a blander tune than the rest, but something about it makes it catchier)

Yes, I made a Top 10 instead of a Top 5. But there are so many good OOT tunes, it's hard to pick just five. My last two listed is more of an honorable mention, but they're all good tunes nonetheless.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:32:32 PM by Purple Parrots Fan »

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
No one included the end credits music? :(

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »
I think I said this before, but if the Kokiri leave the Forest, they will die. So Link leaving the Forest and not dying should have been the first indication that he was never one. Apparently, only Saria knew that he wasn't a Kokiri.

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
Ooccoo is so awesome.

I mean, it's the color of Link's tunic.

Okay, to be clear, 00cc00.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:21:31 PM by Red Jaguars Fan »

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
I actually wanted to get Skyward Sword this summer, and I regret not doing so. Now I have to wait until I get out of school in December to even try the game. I heard that it was really good though, and the story takes place before the events of OoT.
Actually, it's the first story chronologically. It explains the origins of the Master Sword, the Temple Of Time and the rebirth cycles.

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
No one included the end credits music? :(
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's definitely in my honorable mention, if not Top 10. I could replace the Hyrule Field music with the end credits tune. Oh well, still a good tune nonetheless.

I think I said this before, but if the Kokiri leave the Forest, they will die. So Link leaving the Forest and not dying should have been the first indication that he was never one. Apparently, only Saria knew that he wasn't a Kokiri.
Wasn't Link Hyrulian though? If so, he definitely wasn't a Kokiri. Though there were some Kokiris celebrating at Lon Lon Ranch in the end credits, and nothing happened to them. Maybe it takes a while before they finally die?

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
Yeah, there were Kokiri at Lon Lon Ranch at the ending of OoT. I always assumed that the whole "Kokiri dies when leaving the forest" was just a myth to keep the Kokiri from leaving the forest. It was probably to try and keep them safe because they lived a simple life in Kokiri Forest their whole life and outside of the forest was too dangerous for them. That's what I think anyways.

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
Hero for each game:

The Legend of Zelda:
Hero of Hyrule

A Link To The Past:
Legendary Hero

Ocarina of Time:
Hero Of Time

Oracle of Ages and Seasons:
Hero of the Essences of Time and Nature

The Wind Waker:
Hero Of Winds
Waker OF The Winds

Twilight Princess:
Hero Chosen By The Gods

Phantom Hourglass:
Hero Chosen By The Ocean King

Skyward Sword:
Hero Chosen By The Gods
Goddess's Servant
Hero Of Legend

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
  • Okay, I finally have a tagline. Happy now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »
Bought a Wii Points card today with some of my paycheck, and I intend on getting Majora's Mask over the weekend and seeing how much I progress.
Favorite Episode: The Secret Map of the Bandit Queen
Favorite Room: The Chamber of the Sacred Markers
Favorite Team: Blue Barracudas

It's baaaaaaaack...
Legends of the Hidden Temple: Rebirth! (return date TBD)

1980s - Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, etc.
1990s - Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Nirvana, etc.
Present - Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc.
You do the math.

"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the questions!"
--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Speaking of Virtual Console, weren't one of you looking for a Wii-compatible SNES controller to play ALttP with?: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee14/

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.