Author Topic: So...  (Read 790 times)

Offline Gawain

• New Player
    • View Profile
So...
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:58:22 AM »
Look at the Spanish language. They exclamate phrases, such as iQuero queso!. Why don't we? If we're reading something with an exclamation at the end, we won't know until we get to the last word! See? You probably just put the exclamage on "word" and not the whole sentence. English needs help.

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
So...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:03:01 AM »
Good point, but most Spanish sentences place the verb towards the end of the sentence, which means you don't really know what's going on until the last words. :wink: Kinda like English exclamation points.

Offline Mstrgmr

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
So...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 11:17:22 AM »
Actually most verbs are at the beginning of sentences in Spanish.  I've taken Spanish for three years, and I haven't seen many sentences with verbs towards the end

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
So...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »
Quote from: ""Mstrgmr""
Actually most verbs are at the beginning of sentences in Spanish.  I've taken Spanish for three years, and I haven't seen many sentences with verbs towards the end

Really? Then I stand corrected. I was thinking more along the lines of "To me the garden is pleasing," etc. instead of, "I like the garden." I've taken two years.

Offline Mstrgmr

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
So...
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 01:21:43 PM »
I think it might go either way, depending on where you're at.  Spanish people talk diferent than Mexican people, even though it's the same language.  And you definetely can say "I like the garden" like that.  It would be Me gusta el/la whatever garden is, but you might here it the other way too

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
So...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »
I'm taking Portuguese and it's not the case there, plus it's probably the closest language to Spanish.  But then again, no upside-down punctuation marks in Portuguese either.  You'd say Desculpe! or Droga! not iDesculpe! or iDroga!  And they put verbs near the beginning, like in A T?nia gosta de ir fazer compras no centro comercial do Rio de Janeiro.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
So...
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »
Quote from: ""The Ancient Warrior""
I'm taking Portuguese and it's not the case there, plus it's probably the closest language to Spanish.  But then again, no upside-down punctuation marks in Portuguese either.  You'd say Desculpe! or Droga! not iDesculpe! or iDroga!  And they put verbs near the beginning, like in A T?nia gosta de ir fazer compras no (mall) do Rio de Janeiro.

(Sorry, I don't know the word for mall.  But you get the picture.)

El centro de comercial, but yes, I do see what you're saying. I didn't realize the languages were similar like that.