Author Topic: Rediscovery EP: The Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay  (Read 903 times)

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
Rediscovery EP: The Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay
« on: December 17, 2006, 07:47:09 AM »
Author's Note: This is one of the episodes of my independent project, Legends: The Rediscovery.  More information on the project can be found by following this link.

Episode 3: The Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay

The camera pans through a thick jungle to stop in front of an ancient temple.  The giant stone head at the base of the temple breaks the silence:
"LEGENDS OF THE HIDDEN TEMPLE! With your guide, Kirk Fogg!"

Kirk comes down swinging on a rope. "Thank you, Olmec! Welcome to Legends of the Hidden Temple.  The rooms are full of hidden treasures that are protected by mysterious Mayan Temple Guards.  Only Olmec knows the legend behind each of the treasures in his temple.  Olmec, which legend are we going to hear about today?"

Olmec replies:
"The Legend of the Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay."

"So the legend is set," Kirk says in response, "and one of these six teams will have the chance to retrieve the Missing Log Book.  Will it be:
"The Red Jaguars—" the camera pans to the cheering teams one at a time— "the Blue Barracudas— the Green Monkeys— the Orange Iguanas— the Purple Parrots— or the Silver Snakes?"

"They'll have to pass some tough physical and mental tests," Kirk says, "but in the end, only one team will earn the right to enter Olmec's Temple.  First, they must cross the moat, and here's how they'll have to do it today:
"In front of each team a series of four stone platforms hang above the Moat.  One player from each team will step onto the first platform when Kirk gives the signal, then pull the next platform toward them and make their way to the other side of the Moat.  If a player falls into the water, they will have to go back and start over! Once the first player is across, their teammate must follow the same way.
"When both players are across, run over and hit your team's gong.  The first four teams to hit their gongs will go on to the next round, so teams— are you ready?"
The players all cheer and shout in response.
"Olmec, are you ready?" asks Kirk.
"Let's get it started!" Olmec replies.
"All right," Kirk says. "On your mark, get set, GO!"

The teams take off at more or less the same rate, but soon the Red Jaguars start to fall behind.  The Blue Barracudas are the first to get one player across, followed by the Silver Snakes and Purple Parrots.  The Green Monkeys get their first player a few moments later.
The Blue Barracudas' second player makes it across and hits the gong just as the Orange Iguanas and Red Jaguars get their first players across.  Then the Silver Snakes' second player jumps down and locks in.  The Red Jaguars make an amazing comeback when they become the third team to cross the Moat.  Then the Purple Parrots beat out the other teams for the last spot in the next round.
"That's it!" Kirk announces, running over to stand with the Red Jaguars. "The Red Jaguars had an amazing comeback near the end there.  They'll go on to the next round— and so will the Blue Barracudas—" the camera pans to the other teams in order— "and the Purple Parrots— and the Silver Snakes.
"Green Monkeys and Orange Iguanas gave it a great effort too.  We've got a nice gift for them for playing, and here's what it is." The players on the Green Monkeys and Orange Iguanas will each be receiving a $50 U.S. Savings Bond provided by AND 1.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:20:18 PM by The Ancient Warrior »
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Rediscovery EP: The Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:14:06 AM »
The four teams are now at the top of the Steps of Knowledge accompanied by Kirk. "As the quest continues, it's now time for Olmec to tell us about the Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay. Pay attention teams, because your knowledge of the legend can bring you one step closer to Olmec's Temple."

Olmec begins to tell the story:
"Towering 29,035 feet over Nepal, many call the mighty Mount Everest the 'Forehead of the Sky'— though until only about fifty years ago, no one had ever reached the top. One of the first two people to climb all the way was a Nepalese Sherpa named Tenzing Norgay.
"Tenzing was a traveler by nature— he ran away to Katmandu twice when he was only a child, and he'd been on many expeditions in the Himalayas in his twenties. Then in 1953, Tenzing and Sir Edmund Hillary climbed to the peak of Mount Everest— a feat never accomplished before.
"Many people of Nepal began to worship Tenzing for his incredible feat, believing that he was an incarnation of the Buddha. Tenzing kept a log book during his expedition, but it eventually made its way to the Temple. Your mission is to find the Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay and bring it back here."

"Thanks Olmec," Kirk says after Olmec finishes telling the story. "So tell us, where is the Log Book?"
Olmec replies:
"The Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay can be found in the Room of the Secret Password."

"Teams," Kirk begins, walking down the steps, "you are now standing on the Steps of Knowledge, and in a minute, Olmec will ask you a question about the legend. If you think you know the answer, stomp down on the ancient marking in front of you. If you're first, your step will light up, and you'll have three seconds to answer. If you're right, you can move down to the next level, but if you're wrong or run out of time, one of the other teams will get a chance to answer. The first two teams to make it to the bottom level will be one step closer to Olmec's Temple. Okay Olmec, we're now ready for your first question."

Olmec begins:
"Tenzing Norgay lived in what country: India, Bangladesh—?"
The girl on the Red Jaguars rings in: "Nepal."
"Correct," replies Olmec, and the Red Jaguars get to move down one step. Olmec then asks:

"Which of these is a nickname for Mount Everest: 'Forehead of the Sky,' 'Arm of the Sky,' or 'Chest of the Sky'?"
No one tries it for a second, but then the girl on the Silver Snakes stomps down and guesses: "Forehead of the Sky…?"
"Correct," replies Olmec, and the Silver Snakes also move down one level.
"Silver Snakes are on the board," Kirk says. "Next question, Olmec."

Olmec asks:
"How does Mount Everest rank in terms of height: Tallest, Second t—?"
The boy on the Red Jaguars buzzes in and confidently shouts: "Tallest!"
"That is correct," Olmec says in response, and the Red Jaguars move down again.
"One more correct response from the Red Jaguars, and they're going to the Temple Games," Kirk explains. "Next question."

Olmec then says:
"Who reached the top of Mount Everest with Tenzing Norgay: Sir Francis Drake, Sir Edmund Hillary, or Sir Isaac Newton?"
The girl on the Silver Snakes stomps down first: "Sir Francis Drake…?"
"Incorrect," replies Olmec, and then the girl on the Blue Barracudas stomps down only to blank out and say nothing before a bell sounds.
"Time's up," Olmec says. "The answer was: Sir Edmund Hillary." He then goes on to ask a new question:

"What mountain range is Mount Everest located: The Andes, The Rockies, or The H—?"
The girl on the Silver Snakes rings in again and confidently shouts: "The Himalayas!"
"That is correct," Olmec answers, and the Silver Snakes step down again.
"One more correct answer from the Silver Snakes and they're going to the Temple Games," says Kirk. "Next question, Olmec."

Olmec now asks:
"What item belonging to Tenzing made its way to the Temple: A pickax, A log book—?"
The boy on the Red Jaguars buzzes in first again: "A log book."
"That is correct!" Olmec shouts, and the Red Jaguars go on down to the last step.
"Red Jaguars are going through to the next round!" Kirk announces. "We're still looking for one more team, and there's still time for the Blue Barracudas and the Purple Parrots to catch up. Next question, Olmec."

Olmec now asks:
"Which of these is a group of people native only to Nepal: The Kurds, The Gypsies, or The Sherpa?"
The boy of the Blue Barracudas rings in: "Sherpa…?"
"Correct," Olmec replies, and the Blue Barracudas move down one step.
"Blue Barracudas are on the board," Kirk says. "Next question."

Olmec asks:
"Which of these is another mountain located in the Himalayas: K2, O2, or X2?"
No one buzzes in for a second, but then the girl on the Blue Barracudas guesses: "X2…?"
"Incorrect," Olmec says, and the Blue Barracudas are locked out of this question. The girl of the Silver Snakes now rings in:
"K2…?"
"That is correct!" Olmec shouts, and the Silver Snakes move down to the bottom level.
"We've got our two teams!" Kirk announces to the audience. "The Red Jaguars— and the Silver Snakes! They're going head-to-head in the Temple Games! Blue Barracudas and Purple Parrots, you won't be leaving empty-handed. We've got some nice parting gifts for you." The players on the Blue Barracudas and the Purple Parrots will each be receiving a copy of RV on DVD.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:20:59 PM by The Ancient Warrior »
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 02:26:38 PM »
"Now," says Kirk, "the glory goes to the fastest and the strongest, so let's get to know our teams a little better. On the Red Jaguars we have Christine. How old are you?"
"Thirteen," replies Christine.
"I hear you say that music is your life," Kirk says. "Let's hear about that."
"Well, I have a wicked big collection of CDs," explains Christine, "I'm in my school chorus, and I'm learning to play the guitar. And this is my friend Damien," she says, gesturing to the boy standing next to her.
"And I hear she calls you a sports freak," Kirk says to Damien. "Why's that?"
"My baseball card collection's bigger than her CD collection," Damien starts.
"I've seen him wear all these different sports jerseys to school before," adds Christine.
"And I play football with my friends every day after school," Damien says.
"What position?" Kirk asks.
"We rotate a lot," Damien explains, "but I think I'm best as a running back."
"Will the Red Jaguars run off with this competition?" Kirk shouts to the audience. "We'll find out! Let's hear it for the Red Jaguars!" The audience applauds as Kirk goes to interview the other team. "And on the Silver Snakes, we have Michael. How old are you?"
"Twelve," Michael replies.
"It says here you're making an action comic series," Kirk says. "Tell me about that."
"Well," explains Michael, "It's all based on a bunch of kids learning Pencak Silat— that's the same type of martial art I'm taking."
"Well that makes it easy, I guess," says Kirk. "And your partner here is Trisha. How old are you?"
"Fourteen," answers Trisha.
"And you want to be a writer when you're older," Kirk says. "Tell me about that."
"I've actually got a novel in progress called 'The Spirit of the Dark Forest,' " Trisha explains.
"No offense, Olmec," Kirk says, turning to the rock after Trisha says the title of her story. The audience gives a short laugh. "You're also very fond of horses, it says here."
"Yeah, we used to live at a ranch just outside El Paso and we had a lot of horses around," Trisha says. "But then when we moved to San Antonio, I was so sad that I wouldn't be around horses anymore. I always include horses in my stories so I'll never forget the ones back at the ranch."
"Time to rope 'em and ride 'em, gang!" Kirk shouts, as the audience instinctively applauds for the Silver Snakes. "The Temple Games are waiting, so go get set up for them while I tell all of you at home what's going on here.
"In the Temple Games, these two teams will be competing for Pendants of Life. The winning team will need their Pendants to protect themselves from the dreaded Temple Guards when they go to Olmec's Temple. There are three Temple Games, and Olmec will tell us about the first one."

Olmec begins:
"Mountain climbers have used bottled oxygen for ages to survive in higher areas. Here, you must first retrieve the oxygen bottles for the journey ahead. You are now strapped in a rotating lever and, when Kirk gives the signal, run around to grab an oxygen bottle off the stone platform and drop it in your basket.
"The first player to retrieve all six oxygen bottles— or the player with most bottles in 60 seconds— wins, but be careful— if a bottle misses the basket, it will not count."
The camera now fades to Kirk. "Let's put those 60 seconds on the clock and get moving. On your mark girls, get set, GO!"
Trisha and Christine now take off, running around in the lever and lifting off the floor to get to their stone platforms. They both miss the platform the first couple of times, and can't seem to find a good rhythm to grab the bottles.
"The key to this game is to get the momentum right," comments Kirk. "There's a pattern to this, and you have to find it to get to the bottles." Christine makes it first, and Trisha has to go once around again to get her first bottle, though by then Christine has two. After a little longer lights flash from above to indicate that time is up.
"Let's see how they did!" Kirk says, running over to count the bottles. "Christine got three in the time limit, but Trisha only got two. Red Jaguars win a half Pendant of Life!" The audience applauds for a moment here. "Silver Snakes can catch up in this next game, it's also worth a half Pendant. Olmec, tell us about it."

Olmec continues:
"Here, you will need to clear a path to get started on the mountain. When Kirk gives the signal, run out to grab the boulder in front of you, then toss it onto the ramp above you. If the boulder stays atop the ramp, it will roll into the basket on the other side of the wall behind you.
"The player who has thrown away the most boulders in 45 seconds wins, but be careful— if a boulder misses the basket, it will not count."
"Let's get rollin', then!" Kirk shouts. "We'll put 45 seconds on the clock. Ready, get set, GO!"
Damien and Michael run out to grab the first boulders, but only Damien's bounces off of the edge of the ramp. Michael scores a couple of boulders within the time limit, but Damien isn't too far behind. After the 45 seconds are up, lights flash from above to stop the players where they are.
"It looks like Damien got three boulders," Kirk counts, "but Michael got four! The Silver Snakes get a half Pendant of life!" The audience applauds for a second here. "So right now it's all tied up, and the third and final game is worth a full Pendant. Olmec, tell us about it."

Olmec narrates:
"Any successful mountain climb requires teamwork, and now you must climb this mountain. Stand on your teammate's shoulders to reach the ledge above you and climb up. Then, pull your partner up to the ledge. This process must be repeated— there are three ledges on the way to the top.
"When both players are at the top, run over and hit the gong." The camera zooms in on the pair of Temple Gongs on the top of the steps. "The first team to reach the top of the mountain and hit their gong wins."
The camera fades to Kirk. "This is for the Temple! Remember, there's no time limit here. On your mark, get set, GO!"
Damien bends over to help up Christine, and Trisha helps Michael up to the first ledge. Christine quickly yanks Damien up to the first ledge and promptly goes over to make a human foothold for him, whereas Michael pulls up Trisha and waits for her to go over to help him up. The game more or less goes the same way until the Red Jaguars get to the top and slam down on their light pedestal first.
"That's it!" Kirk announces. "The Red Jaguars got to the top first. That gives them the full Pendant, they have a Pendant and a half, the Silver Snakes had a half. The Red Jaguars are going to the Temple!" The audience now cheers loudly for Damien and Christine. "Silver Snakes, you did a good job too. You won't be leaving empty-handed, we've got a $100 sports package for each of you."
The camera then pans to Damien and Christine at the top of the mountain. "We're not done with you yet, Red Jaguars," Kirk calls. "We're going to see if you can make it through Olmec's Temple."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:22:39 PM by The Ancient Warrior »

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
"Olmec!" calls Kirk. "Damien and Christine have proven themselves worthy and have earned the right to enter your Temple. But before they go, can you offer any hints to help them retrieve the Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay?"
Olmec begins to give the rundown:
"You could start by running up the stairs to the Crypt. Grab the book from the skeletons and pass into the Great Chasm. You could swing across the gap and climb into the King's Storeroom. Smash the clay pots to find the key which will lead you into the Chamber of the Sacred Markers. Match the symbols on the right to the runes on the left and pass into the Room of the Ancient Warriors. Place yourself in the correct armor to open the door to the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. Assemble the statue and you may be headed toward the Room of the Secret Password, where you can grab the Missing Log Book. Find the tablet with the correct inscription, and shout it out to open the door to the Pharaoh's Secret Passage.
"Slide down the tunnel to the Quicksand Bog, where you could smash through to the Dark Forest. Find the key in the tree, and you can pass into the Junction of the Secret Shafts. Race across the room and you'll gain entry to the Tomb of the Headless Kings. Attach the skull on the altar to the correct skeleton to release the doors. Then, pass through the Great Chasm, climb through the Ledges, race down the stairs and back through the Temple Gate. The choices are yours and yours alone." Olmec pauses for a second here. "You won 1½ Pendants in the Temple Games. Who's going first?"
"I am!" shouts Damien eagerly.
"Very well, Damien," replies Olmec as Kirk hands out the Pendants of Life. "Good luck to both of you."
"All right then," Kirk says, beginning to explain the rules. "When I say 'go,' you'll race through the gates into the Temple and make your way toward the Missing Log Book. Be careful though— the temple contains many locked doors and dead ends. But there are three old shafts somewhere in the Temple. If you can find one and it's open, you can jump in and slide down to the Junction of the Secret Shafts. Also beware, because there are Temple Guards assigned to protect three specific rooms. If you enter one of those rooms, the Temple Guard will jump out and grab you. You can trade your Pendant for an extra life and go on, but if you're caught without a Pendant, you'll be taken out of the Temple— and it'll be Christine's turn to enter and try her luck. Now, you have a Pendant and a half, but hidden somewhere inside the Temple is the other half of your Pendant. If you can find it and you're carrying the other half, you will get an extra life. If you can reach the Missing Log Book, all the doors of the Temple will instantly unlock, and the Temple Guards will vanish. Return through the gates with the Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay in three minutes, and you will both be handsomely rewarded— and here's how!"
• No matter what happens, Damien and Christine are each guaranteed a Regent sports package.
• If they get to the Log Book with time still on the clock, they'll also win $1,000 Toys 'R' Us gift cards.
• Getting the Log Book out of the Temple before time is up will earn them four-day vacations for four in Montreal!

"Sounds great!" Kirk shouts. "I'd love to see you guys take it all home. What's your strategy, Christine?"
"Well," she replies, "if Damien doesn't find the half Pendant before he gets grabbed, I'm going a different way to find it."
"I hope that works," Kirk comments. "Lower the gate, Olmec."
Damien and Christine get into position and put in their mouthpieces as the Temple Gate opens.
"And let's put three minutes on the clock," Kirk says. "Ready, GO!"

Damien races right up into the Crypt and pulls on the skeletons immediately. The door down into the Ledges opens on the second pull, but Damien would rather go directly into the Great Chasm. Unfortunately, the third pull doesn't open any new doors, so he goes down into the Ledges where he meets the first TEMPLE GUARD!
Damien has a Pendant of Life, and he gives it up to go on. He quickly finds a crawl tube into the Great Chasm and now decides to stay low for as long as he can. Passing into the Tomb of the Headless Kings (2:15), he grabs the skull on the altar and picks the king closer to the open door first, but has to attach it to the other one to open any new paths. The doors up into the Chamber of the Sacred Markers and into the Junction of the Secret Shafts. Damien then rushes into the Junction of the Secret Shafts, where he is grabbed by the second TEMPLE GUARD!
With a half Pendant and 1:57 left, Christine races up into the Crypt and then goes down through the Ledges. After escaping the Ledges, she follows Damien's path up until the Tomb of the Headless Kings, where she instead goes up into the Chamber of the Sacred Markers. (1:21) She finds all the tiles and matches them up fairly quickly, and the doors open— except for the one into the Room of the Ancient Warriors, forcing her to go up into the King's Storeroom.
55 seconds remain as Christine appears in the King's Storeroom. She picks up the extra half Pendant dangling from one of the pedestals, then goes to complete the objective. As usual, the key is concealed in the last jar she smashes, but she gets a little lucky and finds the correct keyhole on her first try. (0:32) Both doors open, but Christine doesn't see the one into the Room of the Ancient Warriors open. Bewildered, she slowly retreats into the Great Chasm and crawls through the door there back into the Chamber of the Sacred Markers.
25 seconds to go, and after double-checking to confirm that she can't enter the Room of the Ancient Warriors from there, Christine re-enters the Great Chasm yet again and jumps down to crawl into the Tomb of the Headless Kings. (0:11!) She begins climbing the ladder back up into the Chamber, but changes her mind and goes into the Junction of the Secret Shafts— but we're out of time!
"Darn!" Kirk shouts. "Christine, come over here. What happened?"
"I kept running into dead ends," she explains. "I didn't know where to go."
"The door from the Storeroom to the Ancient Warrior Room opened," Kirk points out. "Too bad you didn't see that, I think it would've made all the difference. But you still get the $500 sports packages just for making it here. I know you had a great time, I did too. Join us next time for another great legend of the Hidden Temple!"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:24:34 PM by The Ancient Warrior »

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 03:13:01 PM »
Episode Summary
Episode 3: The Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay

Name of Artifact: The Missing Log Book of Tenzing Norgay
Season: 1
Layout: 1
Result: Failed acquisition
Team: Red Jaguars
Pendants Won: 1 ½
Location of Artifact: The Room of the Secret Password

You know, I have a saying about the Temple Runs: "One room can make all the difference." In this particular case, that one room was the Room of the Ancient Warriors.  Damien had a good concept of the room objectives, although he wasn't particularly fast going through the Temple— he was removed from the Junction of the Secret Shafts with just under two minutes.

The Red Jaguars' strategy was to have Christine take a different path from Damien's if and only if he didn't find the other half of her Pendant.  So, she slowly scaled the central shaft searching for it, and eventually picked it up from one of the pedestals in the King's Storeroom, suggesting that Damien might have hit a Temple Guard trap in the Junction.  However, after Christine found and correctly placed the key, disaster struck.  She didn't notice the door to the Room of the Ancient Warriors open, so she began wandering back up and down the central shaft until she finally decided to see if she could progress from the Junction of the Secret Shafts.  Unfortunately, time ran out just as she was entering the room.  

Trivia and Records:
Christine is the only player in The Rediscovery's tenure to pass through all three doors leading left from the pit room (this only happened once in the original show as well, in Season 2's "The Golden Stallion of Ali Baba").
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:05:53 AM by The Ancient Warrior »