Author Topic: The Melted Candle of Descartes  (Read 773 times)

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
The Melted Candle of Descartes
« on: September 03, 2006, 02:42:25 PM »
Note: A more complete episode summary may be created in the future. For now, I would prefer just to write the general episode summary.

Name of Artifact: Melted Candle of Descartes
Season: 4
Layout: 4
Result: Ran out of time
Time Remaining: N/A
Team: Blue Barracudas
Pendants Won: 2
Location of Artifact: The Jesters' Court
Temple Diagram:

Additional Notes:

This episode seemed to have its share of stupid and smart players alike. The first three teams to complete the Moat challenge, which in this case was the classic "ancient Babylonian wheels" set-up, did so with flying colors, the Orange Iguanas finishing first, the Silver Snakes second and the Blue Barracudas not far behind. However, the remaining teams had some significant difficulty traversing the rings. They would slip off and return to the start multiple times... I suppose they just severely underestimated the challenge. Just as Kirk's commentary began to transform into passages of rambling, the exhausted Red Jaguars finally struck the gong.

But they weren't to last long, however. The Steps ended in much the same fashion. The Blue Barracudas managed to finish first and the Orange Iguanas second, with the Silver Snakes answering one question correctly on the way.

The Temple Games were more or less domininated by the Blue Barracudas, composed of Jerry and Mandy. The first game involved  retrieving words from the cubby holes of the giant spider-web like-wall to then spell out the phrase "I think, therefore I am." Not only did Jerry of the Blue Barracudas finish first, but his opponent, Mike, had placed two words out of order. The second challenge was meant to resemble some sort of dream Descartes supposedly had, whereby the players, Mandy of the Blue Barracudas and Elise of the Orange Iguanas, had to hold onto the galloping "demon." Mandy did fall off once early in the game, but Elise consistently fell off in the lst 25 seconds or so. I have a feeling she was getting a tad bit dizzy, or sick. I can't blame her, to be honest. The final temple game was almost a carbon-copy of another challenge earlier in the show's lifespan. Players had to climb up to the top of the giant stairway and press a button to illuminate an electronic candle. Here, most likely out of desparation, the Orange Iguanas were pretty speedy, but one of the feet of a player (I forget who) accidentally broke the foothold that was given to him or her right before the top step, which delayed them just enough to let the Blue Barracudas ascend to the top for the win.

I know that the production crew likes to use unique layouts, but this one made a very smart team look downright stupid. Jerry started off to the Crypt, were he abruptly met a temple guard. The only door that opened here, after Jerry tried all three skeletons twice, was the door to the Ledges, where he promptly descended to. Here, he was forced through the rarely-used lower tube to the Pit of the Pendulum. When he pushed over the column with his bare hands, all of the doors from the room opened, including the Crypt door which he could not open earlier. He moved into the Laser Light Room, completed the objective with ease, and then climbed up to the Chamber of the Sacred Markers. Here, he had a bit of difficulty attaching the correct markers to the wall, but not enough to cause a significant delay. When the objective was finally completed, Jerry fell a bit confused (and so was I, to be honest). The only door that opened did so  directly back into the Pit of the Pendulum! He hesitated at first, but eventually went through the open door, and then took the steps to the King's Storeroom. Just as he smashed the first pot (which had the key in it), he was caught by his second temple guard. Mandy was surely one of the most observant players the how ever had. She strolled up to the Crypt with roughly 1:10 remaining and took the now-open door to the Pit, climbed across the top, raced up to the Storeroom, and continued to smash the remaining two pots. Obviously, she had not seen the key drop from her partner's hands when he was captured (it is a long distance to look). She scrounged around for the key for a good thirty seconds (which was partially submerged in other clay pottery pieces on the ground), and after finding it, tried all three pedestals with it. The door at last opened to the Room of the Ancient Warriors. She was strangely hesitant to pull down on the armor, possibly because she knew there may be a guard behind... With the final seconds of the run ticking down, she tried the third armor suit and was caught by a guard, who held her until time expired. The only decision I can think of that would have saved the team time is if Jerry had gone immediately up to the King's Storeroom when he pushed over the column. But this is difficult to ask of a player whose sights are so strongly set on the artifact.

I don't know why the crew had to be so devious in this episode. Perhaps they saw that Mandy and Jerry were a smart team and wanted to test their wits? Either way, this was a good temple run, but it was difficult to see such smart Barracudas overcome.

EDIT: I just reliazed one of the rooms I used was inconsistent with The Green Monkey's original layout. I'm thinking of a way to fix that...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:33:13 PM by The Silver Monkey »