Author Topic: The Best and Worst Temple Prizes  (Read 3724 times)

Offline PAK Man

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
The Best and Worst Temple Prizes
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:33:23 AM »
What do you think were the best and worst prizes given away to teams who made it to the Temple? I can think of a few.

The best, for me, was the trampoline people got just for getting into the temple. All you have to do is know how to walk up a few stairs, and you'll get a trampoline. My cousins used to have one, and I've always wanted to get one. When I saw that prize, I was so angry the show had been cancelled. Usually, the teams got something lame like a remote-controlled car, but this topped every single "For Just Getting into the Temple" prize.

The worst prize was also one you got for just entering the temple. It was an acquarium. You know, not everybody wants to buy fish. I personally have had a bad experience with a fish. My sister brought home a fish from her summer school last year, and it died a day later. Although if you didn't want it, you could just use it as a trophy case (assuming you have one) or a water cooler.

Offline tss1011

• Silver Snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:47:54 AM »
I always thought the bikes were good prizes.  Also, in "The Secret Map of the Bandit Queen", the first temple prize was a TV.  Not bad for just getting there.

The worst?  Nikko Scorpions!  Not even Dee's helium voice could get one excited about remote-control cars.

Offline The Purple Parrot

• Green Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 10:06:55 AM »
The worst was the microscopes by far.

Offline sag_2006

• Blue Barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:14:34 PM »
Best: I remember one team got a game chair for their efforts.  I thought that was pretty cool.  And of course, the grand prize trips are always awesome.

Worst: Probably the RC cars.

Offline Frogger49

• Purple Parrot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »
I don't know about the best temple prize, but the worst medium prize was the Singaleodeon (the karaoke machine).  At the time, those retailed for $75-90.  Ultra cheap for a medium prize (that was often the "you automatically get it for entering the temple" prize.)  Had a bad experience with one around 1994.  Got it for Christmas and it broke within 2 days, forcing a return to Bradlees (for those of you who've never heard of it, it was a New England-based discount store chain that got run out of the industry by Wal-Mart in the 1990's).

EDIT:  What I meant by "run out of the industry" is much closer to "undersold."  They couldn't compete with the infamously "Always Low Prices."

Offline Bluebarracuda7

• Blue Barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »
i'd have to say those cheap skateboards. :?

Offline The Purple Parrot

• Green Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »
Quote from: ""Frogger49""
I don't know about the best temple prize, but the worst medium prize was the Singaleodeon (the karaoke machine).  At the time, those retailed for $75-90.  Ultra cheap for a medium prize (that was often the "you automatically get it for entering the temple" prize.  Had a bad experience with one around 1994.  Got it for Christmas and it broke within 2 days, forcing a return to Bradlees (for those of you who've never heard of it, it was a New England-based discount store chain that got run out of the industry by Wal-Mart in the 1990's).

*sigh* Bradlees... they turned that old building into a "The Dump". :?

Offline The Mandarin Hand

• Green Monkey
  • Benzibab.
    • View Profile
    • Truncated Power Rangers
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 08:22:23 AM »
Quote from: ""Frogger49""
I don't know about the best temple prize, but the worst medium prize was the Singaleodeon (the karaoke machine).  At the time, those retailed for $75-90.  Ultra cheap for a medium prize (that was often the "you automatically get it for entering the temple" prize.  Had a bad experience with one around 1994.  Got it for Christmas and it broke within 2 days, forcing a return to Bradlees (for those of you who've never heard of it, it was a New England-based discount store chain that got run out of the industry by Wal-Mart in the 1990's).

Bradlees went bankrupt.  They weren't necessarily run out of the industry by the Waltons.

Offline tazz765

• New Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
I always thought The Compton?s Interactive CD Rom was a lame prize. Who wants something educational?

Offline Olmec

• Ronin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/vipersnest120/
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 01:22:49 PM »
Man, I loved Bradlee's, even though NYC isn't New England haha, they still had them.

Offline The Mandarin Hand

• Green Monkey
  • Benzibab.
    • View Profile
    • Truncated Power Rangers
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 02:27:25 PM »
Trips to Universal Studios in Florida.

"Congratulations, you can go outside!"

Losers are subsequently chained away in basements.  Hence, the props for the Crypt and the Tomb of the Headless Kings.

Offline tss1011

• Silver Snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 02:30:51 PM »
Quote from: ""Renegade Pancake""
Losers are subsequently chained away in basements.  Hence, the props for the Crypt and the Tomb of the Headless Kings.

Also, lest we forget, whenever a player entered the Dungeon, Kirk always pointed out that "a few people didn't make it out of there".

Offline panik100

• New Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 06:54:56 PM »
I don't know about Temple prize, but for the losers who didn't make it past the Moat, they gave away a can of Chef Boyardee.  That one cracks me up to this day.

Offline Aiselne

• Purple Parrot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yugiohforums.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 06:57:32 PM »
I loved it when the losers from the moat got $50 and the ones who made it to the temple messed up and only got RC cards worth about half as much. Irony, sweet vengeful irony.

Offline tss1011

• Silver Snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 07:47:44 PM »
All the Singelodeon talk earlier reminds me...it's a bad 2nd prize anyway, but it seemed especially so in "The Broken Wing of Icarus".  The team already botched a perfectly good shot at winning, and walking away with only a cheap karaoke machine just adds insult to injury.