Author Topic: Ways to improve bad temple rooms  (Read 1163 times)

Offline The Viper

• Kirk Level
    • View Profile
Ways to improve bad temple rooms
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
*Feel free to move this to the Treasure Room if you feel the need to do so*

We all know that some rooms were way too easy *coughheartroomtreasureroomcough* and some were too difficult. Which rooms would you improve if you had the ability to do so, and how would you improve them?

One room I would improve is the Tomb of the Headless Kings. I would either make it so there's only 1 vine which drops all the bones, improve the lighting, or remove a skeleton. I would also change the Vipers Nest and the Lightning Ball room so that completing the objective is required no matter which direction you're going.
:mrpink:  :mrred:  :mrorange:  :mryellow:  :mrgreen:  :mrteal:  :mrblue:  :mrpurple:

Favorite episode: John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Gold Mine
Favorite Season: Season 2
Favorite team: The Bluuuuuuue Barracudas!

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to improve bad temple rooms
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:34 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the ones you said, and how about getting rid of the Treasure Room and/or Heart Room altogether. I mean let's face it, those were the most pointless rooms in the whole temple.

Offline The Viper

• Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26:58 PM »
They could have at least attempted to do something useful with those rooms, but they were lazy. The Golden Idols could have been if they were actually an objective instead of a useless decoration. They saw more use as decorations than they did while in the temple. :roll:  :roll:
:mrpink:  :mrred:  :mrorange:  :mryellow:  :mrgreen:  :mrteal:  :mrblue:  :mrpurple:

Favorite episode: John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Gold Mine
Favorite Season: Season 2
Favorite team: The Bluuuuuuue Barracudas!

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:29:02 PM »
The Room of the Golden Idols is a room that had too much wasted potential. The players should've been forced to press down an idol to open up any of the doors, and not just the one room below it. I know the objective might've been simple, but at least it was better than pressing actuators. And it would've made the Season 1 temple slightly tougher.

And they really could've done without rooms like the Throne Room, Treasure Room, Dungeon, and Heart Room. They were just a waste of space. I think the Treasure Room is the worst of them all. I mean it lasted for 5 layouts and the chest only worked once. :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
Yeah, they definitely should've utilized the Room of the Golden Idols more. Even Jennifer from John Sutter gave up and just pressed an actuator because nothing would open up. It definitely should've been required to finish to move on.

Offline JCW555

• Blue Barracuda
  • Watched all 120 episodes, been a fan since 2001.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
I'd remove the Heart Room entirely. It really served no purpose other than to be a transitioning room to Observatory/King's Storeroom (S3), or to the Idols/Treasure Room/Golden Orbs/King's Storeroom (S2)/Ancient Warriors rooms. Also, I'd make the Treasure Room NOT BROKEN. I actually liked the concept of going down into the Swamp area, but of course the Treasure Room only worked TWICE out of the episodes it was in.

Also, I'd either improve, or get rid of the Room of Harmonic Convergence. I swear, that room was broken half of the time. I liked the concept of it, but the execution of the idea sucked.

I'd also make the Room of the Golden Idols objective be the only way to complete the room. I swear, that room was a glorified press the actuator room. I can't remember an episode where it was completed.

Then comes Madusa's Lair. I loved the room as a kid, but looking back at it now, it was a completely broken and difficult objective. Thankfully they reduced the amount of snakes from 4 to 2, but still. That room was production error galore. I'd either remove it entirely, or make sure it worked. Thankfully the Room of the Mandarin Hand and subsequently the Chamber of the Sacred Markers actually worked.

Then comes the Room of Three Torches/Pirate's Cove combo room. Either get rid of the torches or the wheel, and not have it being a confusing mess.

I'd also remove The Well and Mine Shaft. SLOW ASS ELEVATOR. Enough said. 

Favorite season of Legends of the Hidden Temple: Season 2, Followed By Season 3, Then Season 1

Favorite episodes of Legends of the Hidden Temple: Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor, Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugkpak [Apanukpak], John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Gold Mine, Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain, Enormous Iron Nose Ring of Babe [the Ox], Lawrence of Arabia's Headdress, Applewood Amulet of Emiliano Zapata, Much Heralded Helmet of Sir Gawain, Jeweled Scabbard of Sforza, Lion Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta, Secret Map of the Bandit Queen, Galileo's Cannonball, Jewel-Encrusted Egg of Catherine the Great, Metal Beard of the Egyptian Queen, Snakeskin Boots of Billy the Kid, Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus, Ruby Earring of Benzibab, Milk Bucket of Freydis, Lucky Medallion of Atocha, Collar of Davy Crockett.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure everyone would want to see more than half the Season 1 rooms go.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
I actually wouldn't remove the Mine Shaft, even if it was slow and cost some teams like Mush Pot Hat and Two-Cornered Hat their wins. Mostly because it was a way to remind players that the shortcuts in the temple exist for a reason. Plus, I liked the design of the room too and it had some memorable moments. The Well and Dungeon on the other hand shouldn't have seen the light of day. :roll:

I also think that rooms like the Torch Room and Lightning Room should've made contestants complete the room objectives in order to use the elevator. For example, if Ty wanted to use the elevator to go down to the Mine Shaft in the Atocha run, he should've been forced to complete the Viper's Nest objective. (Even though he did so anyways :lol: )

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »
I actually really like the Throne Room, both for its objective as well as from an aesthetic point of view.

I liked the Heart room because it was exactly that, the center of the entire temple, and was the only room that offered movement in all four directions. That concept could have been built upon further. If anything, I would have made the Heart Room the ONLY room beyond The Pit that could only be cleared by hitting an actuator.

I would have made the wellevator move faster.

I would have placed the keyholes for the Kings Storeroom in the front of the room like they are in the Torch Room.

I would have considered putting a room similar to the Cave of Sighs in the Swamp space from time to time.

I would have constructed the webbing in the Spider's Liar out of a less elastic material so climbing it would have been easier.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:47:13 AM by AimYourBrent »
Top 10 episodes:
1. Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor
2. Lion Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta
3. Applewood Amulet of Emiliano Zapata
4. Milk Bucket of Freydis
5. Jewel Encrusted Egg of Catherine the Great
6. Much Heralded Helmet of Sir Gawain
7. Snakeskin Boots of Billy the Kid
8. John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Goldmine
9. Lawrence of Arabia's Headdress
10. Discarded Seal of Ivan the Terrible

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
I may have also considered installing some unconventional shortcuts between a few rooms. Imagine a passageway leading from the Treasure Room to the Well. Or from the Shrine to the Throne Room. Just a thought experiment. It creates the option of some less linear paths through the temple. The idea would need to be played with a little to see how practical it would be from a Temple Guard placement aspect.
Top 10 episodes:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:54:39 AM »
The Room of Fallen Columns should've replaced the Heart Room early on in Season 1. Like as early as Season 1 Layout 3. Even though the objective is technically the same as the Heart Room, at least it gave the room some sort of challenge to navigate. Although it did look way too cluttery too. But still better than the Heart Room.

And I agree about the Spider's Lair too. The webbing was so useless and it didn't even impede the player's movements like it was suppose to. And the webbing was so thin that the players had trouble using to climb. Like Jennifer in Lost Gold Mine having trouble using the webbing to reach the door. Or Billy in Lost Hammer struggling to climb. Not to mention, this room was an eyesore. I would've definitely made the webbing thicker, probably out of elastic.

The Bamboo Forest really deserved more air time also. It was actually pretty time consuming to navigate. I never understood why they only used it for 5 episodes only? It was a cool design and concept.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:56:35 AM by Wing Ding »

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »
They definitely should've used the Bamboo Forest more often. Preferably for the whole first half of Season 1. I much preferred that room over the same tired Swamp and the cluttery Spider's Lair.

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:52 AM »
The Room of Fallen Columns was nifty, but it was a cluttered MESS!! It was not very visually pleasing and I felt like it was difficult to navigate, but in a bad way. It could have used some refinement.

I think the Swamp could have been made a little trickier. I remember in Lucky Pillow, Missy just sort of walked through it and that was it. Obviously it was much more difficult if you had to climb it.

I would have liked to have seen a third tree in the Dark Forest just because so many other objectives involve threes (Silver Monkey pieces, torches, clay pots, royal gongs, orbs, etc) and threes are just more aesthetic.
Top 10 episodes:

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:53:40 AM »
Also, the Lightning Ball room, while a neat concept, felt totally out of place to me. This is an ancient Mayan temple. What the hell is an electronic device doing in there?!
Top 10 episodes:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Yeah, the Room of the Fallen Columns was way too cluttery and hard to navigate. Though I suppose it's better, and more challenging than the Heart Room. I also agree that the Swamp should've been made harder. Since most contestants did just mosey across the room like it was nothing. I do like the concept of having a third Dark Forest tree. But with an already cramped room, good luck fitting a third tree in there. :lol: Also agree about the Lightning Room. Not only was the objective only done twice, but it seemed so out of place in an ancient temple, like you said.