Author Topic: Temple Room Rankings Thread  (Read 1012 times)

Offline NikoMetsPlus

• Red Jaguar
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Room Rankings Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Ok, so I guess we are going in a counterclockwise order? It's only fitting to do finish the upper entrance rooms, so I think the Gong Room should go next. Then move on to the Pits possibly? If you want to do the Gong Room, you can go ahead, otherwise I can do it tomorrow (or maybe tonight).

I was actually surprised how low it scored compared to the Crypt, considering the room's basically had the same objective, hit or pull three objects to open a door. Memorable moments and how the room is conveyed was so important in this game show.

Offline NikoMetsPlus

• Red Jaguar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »
The Room of the Royal Gongs

We finish off the top entrance rooms with the Room of the Royal Gongs. Before we get started, I just want to speak about the layout changes entering Season 1 Layout 8. I always had this feeling that some lazy guy was tasked with creating two new rooms. The guy didn't do anything until the day he had to tell  the producer his concepts, and in a pinch, he created the "Lights" Observatory and the Gong Room. I know that's probably not what happened, but could the producers make two rooms that were so identical to the previous rooms housed there? Anyway. On to the Gong Room Review.

Room Name: 5/10

If this name was present in Season 2 or 3, it would receive a lower score, but at least it was wasn't "The Room of Three Gongs", or something obvious like that. The room name was actually pretty average for Season 1, it wasn't straightforward but wasn't something memorable either.

Appearance: 2/10

One thing to note about is that all of the rooms in further seasons were designed for their Season 1 Layout 1 counterparts. For example, the Mandarin Hand room wasn't built for that at all, it had the Heart Room Wallpaper, and it was a pretty small Room. The same thing with the (Season 3) King's Storeroom having the Observatory decor in it's room and the Dark Forest inheriting the Golden Doors. The only rooms that completely changed were the Center space when the Chamber of Sacred Markers came, and the Quicksand Bog (notice the Purple walls, front barrier, and the lack of a temple guard door.) Anyway, back to the Gongs. The fact that the Royal Gong room space did not look like a "royal" room let alone a room that had Gongs really lowered it's score. Some rooms, like the Dark Forest, did a better job at covering up it's season 1 counterpart, The Gong Room didn't.

Objective & Difficulty: 1/10

I know that I gave the Gargoyle Room a 2/10 here, but seriously? At least that was small and doesn't catch your eye very quickly. This room basically had three HUGE actuators that not even Kim could mess up. And honestly, what was the need to replace the Gargoyle Room? That room wasn't great, but if your going to replace it with this, you might as well not replace it at all!

Memorable Factor 2/10

This room wasn't memorable at all. They only reason it gets very small recognition is that it was entered in 7 out of 9 episodes it was in. Much better ratio that it's predecessor.

Overall Score: 2.5/10

Ha! Both entrance rooms in Season 1 got a 10 out of 40, even though they had different scores on all individual topics. I mean, they were the pretty much the same thing.

-------------------------------------------

Next up are the Pit's. If anyone wants to start with the Wall Climb, they can go right ahead, if not, I can do it.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
The Room of the Royal Gongs is pretty much one of those "ripoff rooms" that appeared throughout Season 1. Like the Swamp/Spider's Lair/Bamboo Forest, Mine Shaft/Well, Heart Room/ Fallen Columns, and in this case, a ripoff of the Room of Three Gargoyles. I am not sure why they even changed the gargoyles when they only had two layouts left. Although I do sort of prefer the Royal Gongs over the Three Gargoyles. The only good thing about this room is the name, which was pretty creative compared to the other rooms in Season 1. But the room is so bland and looks no different from the previous room. I guess Season 1 the producers didn't believe in scenery? At the end of the day, this room was just filler in order to "switch up" the Season 1 temple a little. It was a nice change I guess, but it was no different than Gargoyles. Especially when it appeared in only 9 episodes. :afro: