Author Topic: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs
« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:03 AM »
Anyone would've won with Silk Ladder's layout. That was gonna be a win no matter what team went to the temple. :roll: Could've been an easy Purple Parrots win. Even if they weren't very impressive in the temple games. :(

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 09, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »
The funny part is that I think Jeremy almost pulled a Ron and went down the central shaft.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: Sorry, but I really hate that kid. He was so slow and looked clueless. I have no problems with Erika, but Jeremy is probably my least favorite temple victory next to Bobby.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 09, 2014, 01:08:19 AM »
Honestly, I don't like Erika either. Yes she was speedy, but she wasn't THAT impressive. I don't know, maybe I would've felt differently about this run if the Purple Parrots got that layout instead.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 09, 2014, 01:09:34 AM »
Let's just say that this team probably wouldn't have won in any other layout in Season 1. Not even in Davy Crockett, which was just one extra room. ;)

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 09, 2014, 01:14:37 AM »
Or if they had this temple in say.... Season 2 or Season 3. They would've gotten eaten alive in a later season temple. Same with Bobby from Shaka Zulu. Let's see him get the "best/quickest win ever" in a Season 3 temple. He'd get eaten alive. :roll:

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Another two teams I'd like to discuss are the Robert the Bruce and Hans Holbein teams. These two Season 3 Chamber of the Sacred Markers runs share quite a few similarities, yet they appear to be perceived very differently. From my understanding, the general consensus is that Robert the Bruce is considered to be one of the worst runs of Season 3 (and in some people's minds, one of the worst of the whole show), while Hans Holbein is an average and forgettable run. However, I do not agree that this should be the case.

The Hans Holbein team faced a brutal layout that forced them to enter every single inner temple room, moving counterclockwise. Rachel entered the temple via the Crypt, encountered a guard there, was forced into the Ledges, and then went into the King's Storeroom from the Pit. She was removed in the Ancient Warriors. Keith then followed Rachel's path, entering the Crypt en route to the Ancient Warriors, encountered a guard in the Secret Password, and had time expire in the Dark Forest.

The Robert the Bruce faced a brutal layout that forced them to enter every single inner temple room, moving counterclockwise. Chrystine entered the temple via the Ledges, was forced into the Crypt, and went into the King's Storeroom from the Pit. She encountered a guard there and was removed one room later in the Ancient Warriors. Jeremy followed Chrystine's path, entering the Ledges en route to the Ancient Warriors, encountering a guard in the Quicksand Bog that forced the run to end (only one room shy of the other team).

As you can see, these runs are quite similar in their paths and general temple guard placements. Additionally, both girls were removed in the Ancient Warriors, and both male second runners entered an "extra" entrance room. So why is Robert the Bruce regarded in such lower esteem? The only major difference is that this run ended in triple capture. However, while Jeremy missed the extra half pendant, Keith entered the temple with a full pendant so a triple capture was impossible. On the other hand, Jeremy's run ended with a solid 30 seconds left on the clock, indicating that they were making better time than the Hans Holbein team.

Can someone enlighten me as to why Hans Holbein seems to be the favored of these two runs?

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
The problem with Robert the Bruce was, both Jeremy and Christine moved much too slowly in the temple. And Jeremy passed up the half pendant. By Season 3, that's inexcusable. Also, the Hans Holbein team made it one room further than the Golden Spider Web kids. I know they didn't move fast either, but they were way more competent than the Golden Spider Web team was. The layout are similar, but I prefer Hans Holbein because at least Rachel and Keith looked like they knew what they were doing.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »
The problem with Robert the Bruce was, both Jeremy and Christine moved much too slowly in the temple. And Jeremy passed up the half pendant. By Season 3, that's inexcusable. Also, the Hans Holbein team made it one room further than the Golden Spider Web kids. I know they didn't move fast either, but they were way more competent than the Golden Spider Web team was. The layout are similar, but I prefer Hans Holbein because at least Rachel and Keith looked like they knew what they were doing.

But as I already mentioned, although the Hans Holbein team made it one room further, they reached that room about 30 seconds later than the Robert the Bruce team did (seeing as how Jeremy already broke the stone wall down to the Dark Forest when the run officially ended). And there were plenty of other Season 3 teams to pass up half pendants, and they don't seem to take as much heat for passing it (Lost Taj Mahal Turban of Aurangzeb and Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain are two that come to mind from Season 3, and Applewood Amulet of Emiliano Zapata also comes to mind from Season 2). So saying it is "inexcusable" means that it should be "inexcusable" for all teams, not just the Robert the Bruce team.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:20 PM »
But what about the Missing Eye team? They never found their half pendant, supposedly in Medusa's Lair. That pendant wasn't hidden very well. I would say they sort of had an excuse to not find their half pendant. So it doesn't apply to every single team who went to the temple with 1.5 pendants. Plus, it was almost never hidden well throughout most of Season 1. Hence some of the triple captures like Great Seal, Magellan, and Golden Ship. But of course this was Season 1 here, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
The Robert the Bruce team would've had more success if Jeremy wasn't so slow and hesitant in every room he entered. He tried putting himself in the suits of armor when the door to the Shrine was already open. And in the Shrine, he was fumbling the pieces of the Silver Monkey around. And he also missed one of the most obvious half-pendants in Season 3 too. The half-pendant was at eye level and right next to the door to the King's Storeroom, and Jeremy still missed it. I know Chrystine missed it in Lost Taj Mahal Turban, but her half-pendant was pretty high above the Chamber door and at least she went to try and go back to look for it. Jeremy did not. Overall, I can't stand the Robert the Bruce run mostly because I have seen it many times. Although I am not one of those people that say that Jeremy had the triple capture coming because of him cheating in the temple games. And I don't ever recall people showing much Missing Portrait much favoritism over Robert the Bruce either. If they do prefer Missing Portrait, than that is because it did not have the triple capture outcome. Truth be told, neither of them are remarkable in my book. I just dislike Robert the Bruce more due to seeing it buttload of times.

And I don't think every single run deserves criticism for missing the half-pendant either. In Pirate Captain, the half-pendant was hidden near one of the King's Storeroom jars. It was no where as obvious as Robert the Bruce's half-pendant. And people always criticize Jarrid for his detour into the Room of the Secret Password. People don't think any less of Jessica and Jarrid just because they missed the half-pendant. If they get criticism, so should the Roland team.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:18:43 PM by Stone Marker »

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 11, 2014, 10:44:05 PM »
The Robert the Bruce team would've had more success if Jeremy wasn't so slow and hesitant in every room he entered. He tried putting himself in the suits of armor when the door to the Shrine was already open. And in the Shrine, he was fumbling the pieces of the Silver Monkey around. And he also missed one of the most obvious half-pendants in Season 3 too. The half-pendant was at eye level and right next to the door to the King's Storeroom, and Jeremy still missed it. I know Chrystine missed it in Lost Taj Mahal Turban, but her half-pendant was pretty high above the Chamber door and at least she went to try and go back to look for it. Jeremy did not. Overall, I can't stand the Robert the Bruce run mostly because I have seen it many times. Although I am not one of those people that say that Jeremy had the triple capture coming because of him cheating in the temple games. And I don't ever recall people showing much Missing Portrait much favoritism over Robert the Bruce either. If they do prefer Missing Portrait, than that is because it did not have the triple capture outcome. Truth be told, neither of them are remarkable in my book. I just dislike Robert the Bruce more due to seeing it buttload of times.

And I don't think every single run deserves criticism for missing the half-pendant either. In Pirate Captain, the half-pendant was hidden near one of the King's Storeroom jars. It was no where as obvious as Robert the Bruce's half-pendant. And people always criticize Jarrid for his detour into the Room of the Secret Password. People don't think any less of Jessica and Jarrid just because they missed the half-pendant. If they get criticism, so should the Roland team.

Chrystine never went back to look for the half pendant in the Lost Taj Mahal Turban run. She stopped for a second, but never went back.

And what exactly does the Roland team have to do with your argument? The half pendant was in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers, which was not even entered during the run.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 11, 2014, 10:56:03 PM »
I forgot the Roland team didn't enter the Chamber.  :oops:

Also, I always see the Applewood Amulet team get criticized for passing the half-pendant since day one. A lot of people put other wins ahead of that one for that mistake alone. Hell, I have done the same thing in the past for Olivia-Emma and Robert. Obviously no one is going to mention it to the same extent as Nathan Hale or Robert the Bruce because it had no bearing on the final outcome of the run. Same thing with Jarrid and the Pirate Captain run. People always point out how Jarrid entering the Room of the Secret Password could've been costly. But people still praise them because there are more redeeming qualities about that run than that one mistake.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 11, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
I forgot the Roland team didn't enter the Chamber.  :oops:

Also, I always see the Applewood Amulet team get criticized for passing the half-pendant since day one. A lot of people put other wins ahead of that one for that mistake alone. Hell, I have done the same thing in the past for Olivia-Emma and Robert. Obviously no one is going to mention it to the same extent as Nathan Hale or Robert the Bruce because it had no bearing on the final outcome of the run. Same thing with Jarrid and the Pirate Captain run. People always point out how Jarrid entering the Room of the Secret Password could've been costly. But people still praise them because there are more redeeming qualities about that run than that one mistake.

And that "redeeming quality" is that the team ended up having the good fortune of not getting screwed over by their mistake and went on to win?

So if the Robert the Bruce team did not end up getting caught in triple capture due to the passing up of the half pendant, would this run be held in higher regard? Or for that matter, would any run that featured a triple capture be thought of more fondly if the team had time expire rather than get caught in triple capture?

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 11, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »

And that "redeeming quality" is that the team ended up having the good fortune of not getting screwed over by their mistake and went on to win?

So if the Robert the Bruce team did not end up getting caught in triple capture due to the passing up of the half pendant, would this run be held in higher regard? Or for that matter, would any run that featured a triple capture be thought of more fondly if the team had time expire rather than get caught in triple capture?

Would Robert the Bruce be held in higher regard? I guess so, because Jeremy and Christine would've added on a couple of rooms of progress and more people would look past the triple capture and show sympathy for them for the tough layout. It would probably still receive the same amount of attention as Missing Portrait. And Missing Portrait is not even that highly regarded around here anyways. And I can see a lot of runs getting more praise if they did not end in triple capture. Most notably, the runs where there was more than a minute left on the clock: Golden Ship, Missing Eye, and Harriet Tubman are the ones that come to mind.

Also, triple capture doesn't necessarily mean that the run is bad. Kamehameha and Great Seal ended in triple capture and some people still think highly of those runs.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 11, 2014, 11:28:41 PM »

Would Robert the Bruce be held in higher regard? I guess so, because Jeremy and Christine would've added on a couple of rooms of progress and more people would look past the triple capture and show sympathy for them for the tough layout. It would probably still receive the same amount of attention as Missing Portrait. And Missing Portrait is not even that highly regarded around here anyways. And I can see a lot of runs getting more praise if they did not end in triple capture. Most notably, the runs where there was more than a minute left on the clock: Golden Ship, Missing Eye, and Harriet Tubman are the ones that come to mind.

Also, triple capture doesn't necessarily mean that the run is bad. Kamehameha and Great Seal ended in triple capture and some people still think highly of those runs.

Even so, would Kamehameha and Great Seal be thought of even more highly if their runs did not end in triple capture? Sure, Nick wouldn't have jumped out of the temple, but would they be more highly regarded for being more successful, even if it made the run less memorable in that way?