Author Topic: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs  (Read 11184 times)

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs
« Reply #240 on: May 05, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »
I have no idea there. Maybe they were supposed to go straight to the artifact, ala Applewood Amulet and Cleopatra? We'll never really know, since Steven didn't put the stone column together correctly.

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 05, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
I think the "ideal" path for Silk Sash of Mulan was to enter Medusa's Lair from the Pit, and from there, to go down to the Laser Light Room, then back up from the Jesters' Court to the King's Storeroom. Not only would that make the Observatory guard avoidable (which we know what almost always the case), but it would also create a similar layout to Golden Goblet of Attila the Hun, which was taped immediately afterwards (and we know how much the producers liked to group layout styles/difficulties).

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
I think the Silk Sash team might've actually been able to enter the King's Storeroom from the Observatory. But at the same time, there is also the possibility that it was a "Missing Eye" type path down the central shaft. Here is the possible scenarios that come to mind:

1.) This layout will be exactly like Snake Bracelet and Applewood Amulet where the team could've taken the top floor to the entire artifact.
2.) This layout would've been similar to Mush Pot Hat where Steven would've had a path on the top floor all the way to the Shrine, but then he would've been forced down to the Mine Shaft and take the slow elevator.
3.) The Observatory was the beginning of a long path for the reason PP4L mentioned. If the Observatory would've opened to the King's Storeroom, that would've meant that Jesus and Steven wouldn't have one path where all three guards were forced. Not that it would be the first time that would happen (it happened in Thornwood Gavel and Henry Hudson too). And that would make the path similar to Attila the Hun, the run taped after Silk Sash.

Not that it mattered, because the Blue Barracudas were a pathetic team. I personally hate this run more than I use to. Mostly because this team was pretty undeserving and their performance was lackluster. People criticize runs like Golden Pepperoni and Iron Mask too much, but overlook crappy performances like in Silk Sash.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »
Jesus? What's a Jesus? :lol:

I'm guessing you mean Jessie....

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2014, 10:21:38 PM »
And frankly, I don't hate Iron Mask at all. I don't have any problems with that run. It's unexciting yes, besides Danielle's detour into Medusa's Lair and Justin's head first slide in the Dark Forest. But I don't think it's a terrible run by any means. Same with Golden Pepperoni, in which everyone blows Aqila's passing of the pepperoni way out of proportion. I definitely dislike Silk Sash a lot more. =/

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 06, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
Yeah, Silk Sash has more problems than Iron Mask and Golden Pepperoni. Iron Mask is definitely not a bad temple run either. It was just one mistake that ruined the whole run. Danielle and Justin still made it one room away despite the mistake. And if Danielle stayed low, she would've had a solo victory like Ahmed Baba. Except it would've been more impressive since she moved faster than Shane. Golden Pepperoni was not bad until the last two seconds of the run. Even then, Aqila's brain fart makes this run memorable. :lol: I like these two runs way more than Silk Sash. Silk Sash deserves more criticism.  :oops:

Offline The Viper

• Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 06, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
I agree with PP4L's reasoning. The Observatory guard was probably just there to detriment them if they wasted time by going into that room.
:mrpink:  :mrred:  :mrorange:  :mryellow:  :mrgreen:  :mrteal:  :mrblue:  :mrpurple:

Favorite episode: John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Gold Mine
Favorite Season: Season 2
Favorite team: The Bluuuuuuue Barracudas!

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2014, 09:54:14 PM »
What if Marie and Claude from Lost Lion Tail actually won their team game fairly without the Silver Snakes dropping their signs? Would they get a little less criticism for their temple appearance? I know the temple run would still be frowned upon thanks to Claude's incompetence, but do you think it would have such a bad reputation? I don't know, it feels like some teams carry a reputation to the temple before they even enter it. Like Ron and his cheating making the temple run look bad before even entering the temple.  :oops:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »
They probably wouldn't get THAT bad of a reputation. They would still get viewed the same way the teams in Oracle Bowl and Sacred Ring do, being lackluster temple runs. But I don't think Marie or Claude would get maligned nearly as much if they actually won their third game fair and square. You're right though, sometimes teams do carry a bad reputation with them to the temple. And it really sticks with you. Ron being the perfect example of that, like you mentioned. :oops:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 06, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
Here's a list of teams that get a bad reputation even before entering the temple:

* Golden Cricket Cage - Just because they are John and Tia. :roll:
* Alhambra - Lisa and Steve won their team game only, and then turn around and get to the temple only because the Silver Snakes get the tiebreaker questions wrong.
* Jean Lafitte - For the same reason as the Alhambra team, even though they don't receive the same level of criticism.
* Mata Hari - The Silver Snakes won the temple games on a couple of questionable calls, and the lackluster performance of the Blue Barracidas.
* Anne Bonny - For Ron cheating in the moat and getting away with it. Basically, his team didn't deserve to advance past the moat.
* Butch Cassidy - Paula and Matt barely scraping by, winning their team game on a close call, and basically coming from behind most times.
* Electrified Key - Peter and Michelle going to the temple after the Green Monkeys got the tiebreaker question wrong.
* Lost Lion Tail - Marie and Claude only got to the temple in the fist place because the Silver Snakes knocked down their Jean Petit sign in the team game while they were in the lead.
* Icarus - Jason and April's opponents screwed up an easy tiebreaker, and only for Jason to turn around and screw up the temple run too.
* Robert the Bruce - Jeremy cheating in his temple game even though he got punished and I see it as an honest mistake.
* Marble Armrest - For scraping by and having the easiest tiebreaker question ever. :roll:
* Smashed Printing Plate - Jason cheated twice in the temple games, and Dana's loud mouth makes them a hard team to like before the temple run even starts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:27:47 PM by Stone Marker »

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 06, 2014, 10:14:43 PM »
Out of those, the ones that get the least flack are Jean Lafitte and Electrified Key. Probably because those teams aren't nearly as memorable (or as controversial) as the other ones you mentioned. Also, nobody mentions Icarus either. Sure, Jason and April were a strong team pre temple, but they only got to the temple because the Silver Snakes choked at the tiebreaker. Only to have Jason go in there and screw everything up. I'm surprised nobody brings them up either. And they had a pretty easy tiebreaker question as well.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 06, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
I can't believe I forgot Icarus' tiebreaker. :shock: Another piss easy tiebreaker question, and the Silver Snakes screwed it up. I would've known the answer to that as an 8 year old. I mean Atlantis is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of a lost island. :roll:

I also added Smashed Printing Plate to the list too. Jason cheat not once, but twice in the temple games. And Dana was loud and annoying before the temple run. It is hard to like a team when they act like them.  :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 06, 2014, 10:35:28 PM »
I also added Smashed Printing Plate to the list too. Jason cheat not once, but twice in the temple games. And Dana was loud and annoying before the temple run. It is hard to like a team when they act like them.  :roll:
Which is why I never go back and re watch the full episode, besides the one time I saw the full episode. :roll: Even if Jason did cheat, I would still consider him an incompetent player. If only the Parrots didn't get destroyed in the temple games. -_-

Here's a unrelated question for you: Which episode is the most nostalgic for you, but it's an episode and/or team you don't like? Like, do you remember an episode from your childhood, but it was a really crummy episode? My three most nostalgic episodes to me would be Geronimo, Joan of Arc, and Icarus. The latter we were just talking about. :lol: For Geronimo, it was my first ever Season 1 episode. And I remember thinking "Wow, the temple/set looks so much different from the latter two seasons." And it was my favorite episode at one point. XD I pretty much felt the same way about Joan of Arc. Icarus I remember watching on Aaron's site back in the day. Like Geronimo, I actually liked the temple run and thought it was an exciting nailbiter. But now I dislike both temple runs. How about you? Which episodes bring back a lot of memories for you, for better or worse? ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:36:44 PM by booyouwhore »

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
I don't see Icarus as a really crummy episode until the temple run. So that is not really a bad thing for liking it. ;) Same with Joan of Arc. I can't stand Geronimo though, and not just because of the win. The Steps of Knowledge was almost as bad as Trojan Horseshoe and the rest of the episode is mediocre.

Here are some nostalgic episodes that were not really good:

Alhambra: Out of all the Red Jaguars episodes, I remember this one the most. Why? I remember the ball throwing game and the temple game where the players had to climb the wall and put the color panels at the top. And I remember the wall not breaking down and Lisa getting turned around. :oops:

Anne Bonny: I remember the legend being cool because it was about a female pirate. I also remember the rare temple rooms from this layout and Ron blowing an easy win.

Lucky Pig: This was the first episode I remember from Nick GaS. Mainly for the Bamboo Forest temple game and Kristen entering every room and getting lost. Also, for how excited Kirk was and supportive Scott was. And I use to feel sorry for Kristen too. -_-

Cracked Crown: An episode way overplayed on Nick GaS that when I came back in 2009, this is the first episode that came to mind. I can never forget how boring this episode is and how I hate every round. And I can never forget Kerry's slow ass either. :evil:

Cosa Rara: I HATE THIS EPISODE! An episode I remember from a long time ago back during the original airings of this show. And it was overplayed a lot on Nick GaS too. It hate everything about this episode. I could go die in a fire and i still won't miss it. ;)

Bifocal Monocle: I remember the retarded legend about Bluebeard disguising himself as a girl, the stupid artifact, the boy that could not jump in the temple games, and the horrible temple run. And for some reason, I remember that this was the last episode booyouwhore/PPF needed to see for completion. ;)

Imperial Wizard: Kind of like Joan of Arc is memorable for you, I remember this episode for the creepy crawlies temple game and how Jared stalled in the Dark Forest and Katie's amazing comeback but falling short. I remember this from the Nick days. Not really a bad episode, but not really a good one too.

These are just the episodes that were rubbish in some way. I can list a lot of nostalgic episodes that were good. ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:31:40 PM by Stone Marker »

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38:06 PM »
Oh yeah, Icarus was definitely a decent, if not exciting episode before the temple run. I remember the double sweep on the steps, the tiebreaker fail, and of course the temple run, where everything fell apart. But the temple run is so frustrating because Jason had everything in the bag, but blew it. But even then, it was still a nailbiter, and I'd be lying if I said it was a dull, uneventful run. ;) Joan of Arc isn't a bad episode either, but it was more boring, and nothing really happened. I only mentioned it because it was yet another episode I saw from Jon and/or Aaron's site from a LONG time ago. I also remember watching Oracle Bowl, Ponce de Leon, and Pytheas from Jon's site a long time ago. And those episodes aren't that great either, save for perhaps Oracle Bowl. I totally agree about Geronimo, especially the Steps round. Even the Blue Barracudas got some answers wrong. I also remember watching Xerxes, Cosa Rara, and Cracked Crown from back in the day too. If those episodes died in a fire, I certainly wouldn't miss them. :roll:

And PS, I wasn't the one who needed to see Bifocal Monocle for completion. That was TPP, so you got that part wrong. ;)