Author Topic: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs  (Read 12642 times)

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs
« Reply #300 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:27 PM »
Yeah, Zac was a beast in the temple. He pretty much saved the whole run from being a complete disaster. Bandit Queen would have to be my second favorite Silver Snake run after Galileo. If not, they're both tied for favorite Silver Snake win for me. Plus, this was one of the first episodes I ever saw. So it does get extra points for being nostalgic for me. ;) :mrsilver:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 15, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »
Bandit Queen is in the same boat as Sir Gawain. I sometimes call Tiffani overrated due to her convenient temple guard placement and slow speed. But at the same time, I love this run to death too. Same with Bandit Queen, where I call it overrated sometimes but still love it to death. Even with some of the negativity it gets, I can't really consider Sir Gawain underrated because I know a lot of people love it. And I have seen Sir Gawain many times just like you have seen Bandit Queen a lot too.  :lol:  :mrorange:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:12 AM »
I think everyone has seen Sir Gawain over a million times. :lol: Whether it be on YouTube, and/or during the Nick Gas "20 episode cycle." But yeah, I also love Sir Gawain. My feelings of Tiffani are always changing, probably because I've seen the episode so many times, it's worn off on me a little bit. But I still love that episode, as well as Bandit Queen. I haven't even screencapped Bandit Queen yet, but I will probably get on that soon too. Of course, that's a totally different story. ;)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2014, 12:08:53 AM »
And here is another question. What win do you guys think has the "biggest target" on its back? This is the win that a lot of people love, and at the same time it gets picked on a lot at the too. I am not talking about runs like Shaka Zulu and Butch Cassdy where only casual fans call them the best wins. Those ones don't count because most people hate them.

I have to say that Annie Taylor is the one win that has the biggest target on its back. I have been reading a lot of old threads and I forgot how much people use to pick on this win in the past. If there is any run that gets over-analyzed, it is Missy's temple performance. It is like someone finds the little detail about Missy's performance and uses it against her. I have seen stuff about how easy her layout was, how she tried to take a direct path, how slow she moved in a few rooms, how people only like her run because of the emotional factor, how she didn't deserve to go to the temple because she only won her team game, etc. No run ever gets pick apart as much as Annie Taylor.  :?

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 16, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
And here is another question. What win do you guys think has the "biggest target" on its back? This is the win that a lot of people love, and at the same time it gets picked on a lot at the too. I am not talking about runs like Shaka Zulu and Butch Cassdy where only casual fans call them the best wins. Those ones don't count because most people hate them.

I have to say that Annie Taylor is the one win that has the biggest target on its back. I have been reading a lot of old threads and I forgot how much people use to pick on this win in the past. If there is any run that gets over-analyzed, it is Missy's temple performance. It is like someone finds the little detail about Missy's performance and uses it against her. I have seen stuff about how easy her layout was, how she tried to take a direct path, how slow she moved in a few rooms, how people only like her run because of the emotional factor, how she didn't deserve to go to the temple because she only won her team game, etc. No run ever gets pick apart as much as Annie Taylor.  :?

Before I even read your second paragraph, I was thinking Annie Taylor. It's my favorite episode and favorite temple run of all time and Missy is my favorite player of all time and I shall defend all three to the death.
Top 10 episodes:
1. Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor
2. Lion Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta
3. Applewood Amulet of Emiliano Zapata
4. Milk Bucket of Freydis
5. Jewel Encrusted Egg of Catherine the Great
6. Much Heralded Helmet of Sir Gawain
7. Snakeskin Boots of Billy the Kid
8. John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Goldmine
9. Lawrence of Arabia's Headdress
10. Discarded Seal of Ivan the Terrible

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
Yeah, no win is ever analyzed to the same extent as Missy's run. I don't mind the criticism for her "easy layout" or how she hesitated in a couple of places, but then you have people pointing out every little thing she did wrong. I remember outer space had something out for Missy because he use to criticize her every moment. Especially the direct path comment, which was a pretty poor attempt to belittle her. It didn't even affect the outcome of her run.  :| Now, if she made a direct path mistake like in the Electrified Key run before her, then I would call her out for it.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
I totally agree about Lucky Pillow. Just because "she wasn't fast" and just because "she took a direct path," boom, it automatically means it was a bad, undeserved win. Yet Paula gets nothing but praise for lucking into her layout and just barely winning the temple game. And we're called hypocritical just for liking Lucky Pillow better? Lucky Pillow definitely has a target on its back.

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »
Let's not forget to mention that she was the first to ever retrieve an artifact from the center room of the temple, AND she did it with a single pendant solo victory!!

Absolutely Legendary.
Top 10 episodes:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 16, 2014, 01:48:07 AM »
And while we're on the subject of Silver Horseshoe, (sort of), some people used to consider Matt, and NOT Paula, one of the best players in the shows history. Obviously, he never got to go into the temple, and I'm not gonna hold that against him either. But I remember some people even went as far as considering Matt their "most favorite player ever." Reasons being his impressive (if you can call it that) performance in the moat, sweeping the steps for his team, and ringing in with the tiebreaker question. Also, I've seen people say we'd like this temple run a lot better if Matt went in first instead. But truth be told, even if Matt had gone in first, I'd still be unimpressed with Silver Horseshoe's win. So my question is, do you consider Matt an amazing player, despite not entering the temple? Is his moat crossing performance really as superb as some people say? What do you guys think?

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2014, 02:51:11 AM »
I don't believe that a moat crossing and tiebreaker question are enough to warrant "GOAT" status. You have to be good in all four facets of the game. Sure, you can't hold it against someone for not getting to enter the temple, but you can't just overcompensate either.

Look at the Purple Parrots on Lion Tail before they entered the temple and then look at their run. That's why.
Top 10 episodes:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 16, 2014, 03:14:49 AM »
Exactly. We're looking at the whole package here, not just one performance in one round. I'm obviously not gonna hold Matt not entering the temple against him, but only dominating a few rounds doesn't exactly mean you're a great player. Plus, Matt was incredibly mediocre in the temple games.

And LOL at "GOAT." :lol:

Offline AimYourBrent

• Headless King
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:00 AM »
Exactly. We're looking at the whole package here, not just one performance in one round. I'm obviously not gonna hold Matt not entering the temple against him, but only dominating a few rounds doesn't exactly mean you're a great player. Plus, Matt was incredibly mediocre in the temple games.

And LOL at "GOAT." :lol:

LOL, just in case there was any confusion, that means "Greatest Of All Time".
Top 10 episodes:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
I definitely remember somebody calling Matt from "Butch Cassidy" one of the best players on the show. I can't remember who it was, but I am pretty sure it was THK. It was in one of the elimination threads in the temple games forum I believe. I only remember because how he actually called "Annie Taylor" a bad episode. :? As for Matt, what makes him so special over the rest? Oh yeah, he swept the SoK, big deal. Tim from "Gordian Knot" helped his team finish first in the moat, swept the SoK too, actually won his OWN temple game, and he was fast in the temple. Where is Tim's praise then? "Butch Cassidy" is seriously the most overrated episode of all time.  :roll:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:53:40 PM by Wing Ding »

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
It was the steps TRJ, NOT temple games. They won only 1 pendant in the temple games. :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 16, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »
And yeah, I agree. Just because someone crosses the moat in a unique way, and just because someone sweeps the steps, doesn't mean they're "amazing players." And yes, it was THK who also put in his siggie that Matt was "his favorite player ever." I mean, we all have our contestants that we like. But that doesn't make him amazing in any way, shape or form. But he's not the only contestants to sweep the steps either. The Galileo team did, Tony from Billy the Kid did, hell even Levi from Xerxes swept the steps for his team. And Matt's moat crossing performance wasn't THAT impressive. He was pretty fast, and it was a unique way of crossing the ropes. I believe he hung upside down and shimmied his way across. But I guess that's enough right there for others to consider Matt and Paula a better team than John and Missy because "they were a fast team." I swear, the more and more people praise Silver Horseshoe, the more and more I hate it. :roll:

Sorry for bringing Matt into this, back to Lucky Pillow. Give me that episode any day of the week.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:13:19 PM by booyouwhore »