Author Topic: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs  (Read 11268 times)

Offline JCW555

• Blue Barracuda
  • Watched all 120 episodes, been a fan since 2001.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Thoughts about Temple Runs
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
^ I don't consider Jammin John overrated either. Yes, he hesitated in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey a little, but this was the VERY FIRST temple run, so I can overlook it. I honestly think Jammin John is in my top 20 players of all time (if I was ever to create such a list), and deservedly so.
Favorite season of Legends of the Hidden Temple: Season 2, Followed By Season 3, Then Season 1

Favorite episodes of Legends of the Hidden Temple: Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor, Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugkpak [Apanukpak], John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Gold Mine, Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain, Enormous Iron Nose Ring of Babe [the Ox], Lawrence of Arabia's Headdress, Applewood Amulet of Emiliano Zapata, Much Heralded Helmet of Sir Gawain, Jeweled Scabbard of Sforza, Lion Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta, Secret Map of the Bandit Queen, Galileo's Cannonball, Jewel-Encrusted Egg of Catherine the Great, Metal Beard of the Egyptian Queen, Snakeskin Boots of Billy the Kid, Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus, Ruby Earring of Benzibab, Milk Bucket of Freydis, Lucky Medallion of Atocha, Collar of Davy Crockett.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
^ I can too. Plus season 1 had the most layout changes on the show, so I can forgive any season 1 contestants (except for John and Tia from Golden Cricket Cage of Khan, and the Keys to the Alhambra kids. Idiots  :roll: ).

I never understood how they got through that season with all the changes. :shock: But yeah, the layouts were really inconsistent in Season 1. One episode could have a piss easy layout (Buddha) while another episode from the same day is next to impossible (Stone Marker). Plus, half of the layouts were broken too. As much as runs like Lost Logbooks suck, they also had production errors and dead ends that were ridiculous.

To quote TRJ here:

Jammin John was great all day. His team was first in the moat, first in the Steps, won 1.5 Pendants in the temple games, and the temple run was a solid effort. I don't expect him to be as fast as Zac or Gator. Hell, give Gator or Zac the Galileo layout, and I am sure they would struggle in a couple of places because they would have no idea how the temple worked either. Not to mention, then an earlier temple runner coach Zac before he appeared in the Bandit Queen?

I can give players like Jammin John and Jennifer (Lost Gold Mine) a break because their runs were so early on in the show. To expect them to know the temple like the back of their hand is asking for way too much. If they were later season contestants, I might not cut them a break. But then again, they probably wouldn't make those mistakes in later seasons.
Exactly. You can't expect Jammin Jon' and Jennifer from John Sutter to have the whole temple memorized. Since this was still WAY early on in the show. Obviously this is a new show for both contestants and the whole production crew itself. Jammin' Jon was an excellent player all day. I think it's exaggerating honestly to call Jammin' Jon "he most overrated player ever." If anything, he doesn't get enough credit for what he does. Galileo was a great way to start the show off and I'm glad they won. :mrsilver:

And PS, Josh from Dead Man's Hans was supposedly Zac's "coach" when Zac went to try out for Season 3. ;) :mrorange:

I definitely think that is kind of exaggerating to call him the most overrated player ever. I can understand someone not liking Galileo's run due to how quirky and "off-beat" it felt, but that shouldn't take away from John's performance. The whole episode and run was successful in my eyes, and the little quirks is what makes it memorable. This is why I love Galileo and Map to the Lost Gold Mine. No one will ever change my opinion on those runs.  :mrsilver:  :mrblue:

And I thought it was Dead Man's Hand Josh. Poor guy, if he appeared in a later season, he would not doubt have more success. I have no problems with him or Sarah at all. Dead Man's Hand was another broken layout. :roll:

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
I agree TRJ, Jammin' Jon and Jennifer are great players, and they deserve the praise they get. :mrblue: :mrsilver: It's over exaggerating to call Jammin' Jon overrated because like I said, he really isn't talked about at all. And frankly, he should be, and he should be recognized more. ;)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2014, 06:44:10 AM »
Yeah, no one ever talks about Jammin John's performance at all. This is not a recent trend and it has always been like that. Which is unfortunate, because he was a strong player all day in the temple. I would be more than glad to give John the praise he deserves. Like I mentioned, I always liked Jammin John and Galileo's win since day one. It has always been my all time favorite Silver Snakes episode and win and it will always be that way.  :mrsilver:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »
I agree, even exciting runs like Bandit Queen and hell even Sultan Saladin don't hold a candle to Galileo. Don't get me wrong, Bandit Queen and Sultan Saladin were great runs, but Galileo is extra special since that was THE first temple run ever. And the way Jammin' Jon handled his long path was honestly, very impressive for a first ever temple run. I mean, look at how shoddy the production was on the first ever episodes taped. Dead Man's Hand was completely unwinnable due to a broken layout, and Belshazzar couldn't even film their temple run in S1L1 due to time constraints. Jammin' Jon called himself the "anchor" before the temple run started, and he lived up to that name like no other. Even Jennifer (his partner, there were so many Jennifer's on the show), did an alright job in her time in the temple. She looked a little lost, but my point again is, it was the first temple run ever. Obviously not everyone is gonna know where to go. Good thing Jammin' Jon was there to bail her out, both encouraging her from the sidelines, and to run through the temple after she was captured. I'd much rather see him in the temple than say, the Genghis Khan team or the Geronimo team. If anything, Jammin' Jon is underrated. :mrsilver:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:16 PM »
Am I the only one that never felt sorry for Brian and Irish during the Bent Shaving Pan run? I remember in the past that people would actually praise Irish and felt sorry for her because of the one room away guard. And Brian got a free pass too because he had little time to make progress. I'm sorry, but I never liked the Bent Shaving Pan run. Irish was way too slow to be a frontrunner. She wasted time in nearly every room she entered. Plus, making it 30 seconds away from the artifact is not impressive. Brittany from Pytheas took a longer path and got removed from the Shrine with much more time than Irish. But everyone criticizes her for moving slow. And Brian has no excuse for not making progress either. Look what Elisa and Katie from Imperial Wizard did with their little time? I hate the Bent Shaving Pan run.  :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
YES, me too! I seriously can't believe people would defend this team, especially Brian. I'm sorry, but Brian deserves all the criticism he gets, and I'll never have any sympathy for him. I don't care if you had under 30 seconds left on the clock. You have to at least TRY to make an effort to speed up. All he did was cluelessly walk through the temple, are you expecting me to take him seriously after seeing that? Imagine if he went into the temple first instead of Irish. She'd never have a chance to enter thanks to Brian. :shock: And what irks me the most is that all this Brian defense came out of nowhere. I mean, nobody used to talk about Bent Shaving Pan at all. Partly because it never aired on Nick Gas. But all of a sudden, we're all supposed to feel bad for Mr. Slowpoke here? I also hate Bent Shaving Pan, this is one of the worst, most filler episodes ever, and it is forgettable in every single aspect. I remember more about Stone Marker than I do of this episode. How is Brian "not that bad" again? How is he a "great player" here? Aside from being compared to Brittany from Pytheas, Brian was compared to Randy from Metal Beard once. Apparently Randy is a worse player because "she took 30 seconds to reach the Dark Forest too." Umm, what?! :shock: :roll:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »
Seriously? Do some people pick random contestants out their ass and try to compare them to ones that we try to criticize? outer space use to do that all the time. Like in one of the old elimination threads, he compared Jason from Nostradamus to Jarrid from Pirate Captain. How are they even are a like? As for Bent Shaving Pan, it is extremely boring and mediocre all the way though. I fell asleep almost when reviewing it. Apparently there was a tiebreaker in this episode? And I didn't even remember this episode existed until it was brought up in the poll today for the "Best Episode by Production Day" thread. :? I will take Stone Marker any day over Bent Shaving Pan. At least Keeli and Chris have an excuse for their poor temple progress. Brian was a waste of space and he deserves to get maligned as much as Dana and Lauren. In fact, I would put Bent Shaving Pan on my black list with the other crappy episodes that day like Xerxes and Snow Cone. :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
Yes, I wish I was making that up. Though I don't think it was outerspace who said it. Seems to be a recurring theme, that doesn't always happen on YouTube. It's like people are purposely trying to pick reasons to hate any contestant just to make their favorites look better. And just for the sake of hating a contestant for no reason. :roll: Like Jennifer from Melted Head. People hate on her just because she shouted at her partner. Like she was the only contestant to do that. First she's criticized for her shouting, and now people want to claim "oh, her and her partner had no chemistry." That to me is just grasping at straws, just for the same of not liking someone. And while we're on the subject of both Jennifer AND Brian, people hate on Jennifer and say "she didn't pull her weight" and "she only made it far because the top floor was accessible to her." What difference does that make? Even if she HAD to climb walls, she would've far and beyond did a MUCH better job at it than Lauren and Dana put together. Both Jennifer and Brian had under 40 seconds left on the clock by the time they entered the temple. Yet Jennifer gets maligned for it, but Brian gets nothing but praise. And like you said above, look at how well Elisa and Katie from Mystical Spellbook did in what little time they had. Neither player had any excuse for losing. I don't care what was left on the clock. Jennifer was MUCH faster than Brian and even her own partner Nicholas. At least she almost assembled the monkey in time. Brian just does a Sunday stroll through the temple. Damien from Lost Whale Bone wasn't even that bad. Anyone who can defend Bent Shaving Pan AT ALL must not have seen the episode enough, or really just don't know what really makes a bad player. I admit, I never use to think much of Bent Shaving Pan when I first saw the temple run and eventually full episode. I didn't hate or love it, I was just indifferent. But nowadays, I absolutely hate the episode. At least Stone Marker had something going for it, the Blue Barracudas with the same last name, and Keeli's hysterical screaming. Bent Shaving Pan.... well, it had a tiebreaker. And the same temple game sequence as Xerxes. But nope, I've got nothing. :roll:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 01, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
I can't believe I forgot about Jennifer from Madame Tussaud.  :shock: I never had a problem with Jennifer ever since I first watched her episode. She was a good player in her episode and much better than Nick. She may have screamed at Nick, but can you blame her? The kid was wasting too much time pulling on the same vines and putting himself in the wrong armor. Plus, he moved so slow in the temple too. By the time she entered, there was no hope at winning. And with her little time, she actually made some progress. First, she cleverly avoided the central shaft and cut straight into the King's Storeroom (something Nick failed to do). Secondly, she almost finished the Silver Monkey before time was up. I don't really mind if people don't think that she is nothing special. But to compare her to Dana and Lauren? Those two were a waste of space. I can guarantee that if Jennifer went into the temple first, the Madame Tussaud run would've more successful. Even if she chose to go up the central shaft like her partner.

And I don't blame you for being indifferent to the Bent Shaving Pan run. I probably felt like that when I first watched it myself. But then people started feeling sorry for Brian and Irish and that is when I started hating it. This is an episode that will go on my blacklist because there is nothing special about it.  :roll: Bent Shaving Pan also kind of reminds me of Attila the Hun. People feel sorry for Rachelle because of the long path she had to take. Yet, she moved way too slow as a frontrunner. Unlike Bent Shaving Pan though, I actually don't have a problem with Attila the Hun. Will I go back and watch it? Definitely not. But I can show some sympathy for Rachelle. She had a little bad luc with her path.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 01, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
Yeah, even if Jennifer DID mean anything mal intended with her shouting, can you blame her? Nicholas was moving like a slow moving rock in the temple. He pretty much ruined the whole temple run. By the time Jennifer went inside the temple, victory was impossible by then. I always thought Jennifer was just over excited, if anything I thought she was more encouraging to Nicholas in a way. There's a difference between shouting words of encouragement, and shouting words of frustration. Lauren and Dana were in the latter category. Unlike Jennifer, Lauren and Dana made ZERO progress in the temple, when they hypocritically shouted at their respective partners from the sidelines. Yes victory was hopeless for the Bent Shaving Pan team by the time Irish was taken out. But you have to at least TRY to make up for some time. You're totally right that this run would've turned out A LOT better if Jennifer had gone in first instead. Hell I think it even might've been a solo victory had she gone in first instead. Then people wouldn't think she was this horrible person. :roll:

And I totally agree that I didn't start hating Bent Shaving Pan until people completely out of nowhere starting defending Brian. It literally came out of nowhere. I just don't see how we went from thinking nothing of Brian, to defending him and suddenly we're "hating on him too much." I might even skip over that episode too with all the re watching of episodes I've been doing. And I agree about Rachelle from Golden Goblet too. People feel sorry for her too because she both moved too slow, and had a hard layout. But at least Rachelle knew somewhat what she was doing. And she did have a valid excuse for losing, her layout was hard. I feel sorry for Rachelle a little bit, but not by much. Plus, nobody talks about her THAT much anyways. Probably because Golden Goblet is also a forgettable episode, just like Bent Shaving Pan. But there's nothing remarkable about Bent Shaving Pan whatsoever. It's funny how it had all three temple games in common with Xerxes, which totally helps it case. :roll:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2014, 01:08:52 AM »
These are the second runners that do not deserve sympathy for making little progress:
- Jessica (Lost Fountain of Youth)
- Roberto (Leonardo Da Vinci)
- Rinette (Mata Hari)
- Dana (Smashed Printing Plate)
- Lauren (William Tell)
- Brian (Bent Shaving Pan)

Anyone I am missing? I know I am probably overlooking a couple, but none of these players deserve sympathy. They actually had enough time to do something, but totally blew it. This worst offender is Lauren. :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »
I agree with all except Roberto. I know he made some weird moves in the temple, but he was more unremarkable than he was bad. I don't know, I feel like if Roberto is on this list, so should Chris from Stone Marker. I mean, didn't he try to enter the Bamboo Forest himself when time ran out? =/

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Chris entering the Bamboo Forest. And we were just talking about Stone Marker's run. :lol: Maybe I would include both Roberto and Chris as an honorable mention. The reason I mentioned Roberto was because:

1.) He never tried all three tongues in the Gargoyle Room. (Even though this was a clever move and the Trouble Bridge probably would've opened)
2.) He put himself in the giant wheel when he didn't need to.

But both players had impossible layouts, so maybe I should just leave them off the list. :P

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2014, 01:31:48 AM »
Probably not a bad idea. :P Otherwise, I agree with all the rest of them. Especially Jessica from Ponce de Leon. That girl kept going between the Observatory and the Treasure Room for no reason. Is she trying to recreate Cricket Cage here, entering all the same rooms? :roll: That's a contestant I don't know why people defend. But I guess just because "she was fast" and "didn't have a lot of time," she gets a free pass.