Author Topic: Temple Guard Locations  (Read 9114 times)

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Guard Locations
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
Next on the list is the "Enormous Feather of the Me Linh."

Guards Encountered: Tomb of the Headless Kings, Dark Forest (left tree)
Number of Unencountered Guards: 1
Rooms not Entered: Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Secret Password, Ledges

Notes: All three rooms were discussed as potential rooms to hold the final guard.

My Thoughts: The team was never given access to the Chamber of the Sacred Markers during the run. Only the Tomb of the Headless Kings opened from the Pit, since the red cover was still over the door to the Chamber when Karisa entered the Pit. And only the King's Storeroom opened from the Ancient Warriors, as you can see when Karisa began running up to the King's Storeroom. I have provided supplemental photos of each courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf. Since the team was not given access to the Chamber until after the artifact was grabbed, there could not have been a guard in that room.

-- The Ledges were not as dark as they were for "Dried Apple Half of William Tell" or "Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain" (or any of those particular runs mentioned at the start of the Season 3 discussion). I have provided a sequence of photos from before the prize sequence (top left), before the run started (top right), as Karisa entered the temple (lower left), and as Karisa exited the temple (lower right). Even though the lighting of the Ledges was not identical to the other runs, it is possible that the slightly dimming was meant to conceal a guard in the bottom of the room.

-- It is also possible, though less likely in my opinion, that the Secret Password held the last guard. As some people put it in the other thread, having a guard in the Secret Password would have "punished the team for trying to take the long way instead of taking shortcuts." My biggest reservation about the Secret Password holding the final guard is that the temple guard placement would then not have followed the pattern from the rest of the day (italicized rooms notate speculative guard locations):
  • Ivory Hunting Horn of Roland: King's Storeroom, Tomb of the Headless Kings, Quicksand Bog
  • Royal Torque of Queen Boadicea: Crypt, Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Shrine
  • Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain: Ledges, Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Ancient Warriors
You'll realize that each of these runs featured two guards toward the outer temple and one in the inner/deep temple. If the final guard had been in the Secret Password for "Enormous Feather," then there would have been deep guards in both the Dark Forest and Secret Password; conversely, having a guard in the Ledges would have upheld the pattern.

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
I'm not sure if it was the Ledges, the room was pretty well lit to me. I always thought it could have been in the Room of the Secret Password. For the "taking the long way" reason you stated. That or punish the team for taking one wrong turn. Though if the third guard were in the Ledges, it could have been another "Sultan Suleiman" scenario, where going into the Ledges would ruin the teams chance at winning.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »
I'm not sure if it was the Ledges, the room was pretty well lit to me. I always thought it could have been in the Room of the Secret Password. For the "taking the long way" reason you stated. That or punish the team for taking one wrong turn. Though if the third guard were in the Ledges, it could have been another "Sultan Suleiman" scenario, where going into the Ledges would ruin the teams chance at winning.

Not only would the Ledges guard have been avoidable, it also seemed as though the Dark Forest guard could have been avoided if David went directly to plowing through the stone wall into the Quicksand Bog. The temple spirit's arms were down, and we saw that the stone wall broke down to the Quicksand Bog. Even though Karisa did not try to find the key in the other tree, my guess is that there would not have been a key available to the team.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »
I think the Ledges makes more sense for the last guard. The only time the producers seemed to put a guard in the Room of the Secret Password would be when they wanted to force the team into that room. And most of the time, that was from the Shrine entrance. By putting it in the Ledges, at least one guard would've been avoidable. And yeah, I am sure David could've avoided the Dark Forest tree also. It would've saved this temple run from being one of the many Orange Iguana bottom feeder runs. Or I wouldn't have mind to see it end in triple capture either instead of sitting through Karisa's suckfest.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »
The only time the producers seemed to put a guard in the Room of the Secret Password would be when they wanted to force the team into that room. And most of the time, that was from the Shrine entrance.

That is a very good observation about the Secret Password Guards, TRJ. I hadn't noticed that, but it is definitely true. The encountered Secret Password guards were seen in "Thornwood Gavel of Judge Roy Bean," "War Fan of the Forty-Seven Ronin," "Missing Portrait of Hans Holbein," "Red Sash of Tokugawa Ieyasu," and "Mummified Hand of the Egyptian King." Every single one of those five runs featured the teams running in the counterclockwise path, meaning they had to enter the Secret Password from the Shrine rather than from the Quicksand Bog.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
The pictures aren't loading for me. :|

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
Favorite team: Purple Parrots
Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
They work fine for me. It's probably just your browser.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »
The pictures aren't loading for me. :|

Everything is working on my end, and none of the image links seem to be broken. Perhaps reloading the page would help?

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »
Reloading doesn't do squat. I'll restart my computer and see if that helps. :?

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »

Not only would the Ledges guard have been avoidable, it also seemed as though the Dark Forest guard could have been avoided if David went directly to plowing through the stone wall into the Quicksand Bog. The temple spirit's arms were down, and we saw that the stone wall broke down to the Quicksand Bog. Even though Karisa did not try to find the key in the other tree, my guess is that there would not have been a key available to the team.
If that were the case, this could have been a solo victory if David had just avoided the Dark Forest trees.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
They uploaded now.

I agree that the last guard was in the Ledges. Having the guard in the Secret Password seems unnecessary to me. The layout was already long enough, no need to make it overkill.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2013, 12:31:31 AM »
The only time the producers seemed to put a guard in the Room of the Secret Password would be when they wanted to force the team into that room. And most of the time, that was from the Shrine entrance.

That is a very good observation about the Secret Password Guards, TRJ. I hadn't noticed that, but it is definitely true. The encountered Secret Password guards were seen in "Thornwood Gavel of Judge Roy Bean," "War Fan of the Forty-Seven Ronin," "Missing Portrait of Hans Holbein," "Red Sash of Tokugawa Ieyasu," and "Mummified Hand of the Egyptian King." Every single one of those five runs featured the teams running in the counterclockwise path, meaning they had to enter the Secret Password from the Shrine rather than from the Quicksand Bog.

It makes me wonder if the last guard in the "Mary Shelley" run was in the Room of the Secret Password? That would've made it similar to the Egpytian King and Judge Roy Bean temple run layout where the team was forced into the Room of the Secret Password from the Shrine. And judging from the other layouts that day (Ivan the Terrible, William Tell, and Hans Holbein), I doubt that Kate and Larry would be simply allowed into the Dark Forest from the Shrine.

They uploaded now.

I agree that the last guard was in the Ledges. Having the guard in the Secret Password seems unnecessary to me. The layout was already long enough, no need to make it overkill.
It wouldn't have really been overkill because it's not like Karisa and David were forced into that room. If the room was entered, then it would've been Karisa's own stupidity.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:32:18 AM by The Red Jaguars »

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »

It makes me wonder if the last guard in the "Mary Shelley" run was in the Room of the Secret Password? That would've made it similar to the Egpytian King and Judge Roy Bean temple run layout where the team was forced into the Room of the Secret Password from the Shrine. And judging from the other layouts that day (Ivan the Terrible, William Tell, and Hans Holbein), I doubt that Kate and Larry would be simply allowed into the Dark Forest from the Shrine.

It would not have surprised me if Kate and Larry were to be forced into the Secret Password and Quicksand Bog before arriving at the Dark Forest. Given the lengths and difficulties of the other paths from that production day, it seems likely that they should have been forced into a large number of rooms. However, because of the strong indicators that I suggested earlier in this topic, I still believe the Ledges held the final guard in the "Mysterious Manuscript of Mary Shelley."

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
"Red Sash of Tokugawa Ieyasu" is up next.

Guards Encountered: King's Storeroom, Secret Password, Quicksand Bog
Number of Unencountered Guards: 0

All of the guards were encountered in this run, so there should be no question as to where they were.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
Up next is "Broken Trident of Poseidon."

Guards Encountered: NONE
Number of Unencountered Guards: 3
Rooms not Entered: Ledges, King's Storeroom, Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Ancient Warriors, **Dark Forest

Notes: Most people thought there was an alternate path that led from the Tomb of the Headless Kings to the rest of the central shaft, allowing guards to be stationed somewhere along that route. Some people believed they saw the right tree in the Dark Forest with its limb up, which may have suggested a guard was there.

My Thoughts: This is a very peculiar and baffling run. It is clear that at least one of the guards had to have been in the upper central shaft or Room of the Ancient Warriors, since the known accessible rooms to this team were the Ledges and Dark Forest, but that would only account for a maximum of two guards. The image below will hopefully narrow our choices of guard locations, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf.

-- In the top left and top right photos, I have provided images of the Ledges from before the prize sequence and before the run began, respectively. As you can see, the room is pretty well-lit. I am not sure whether a guard would have been stationed here or not.

-- The bottom left photo shows that the only door that opened from the Pit of the Pendulum was to the Tomb of the Headless Kings. Since neither of the upper doors opened, this is not a simple case where the path split and the portion of the path with extra rooms held a guard. What is interesting to note is that there was a very unusual sound effect when the skull was placed on the correct skeleton in the Tomb of the Headless Kings. Perhaps both the Jesters' Court and Chamber opened?

-- As you can see from the bottom right photo, when Kimberly was exiting the temple, the cover went up in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers. While there was a very long time gap between when Kimberly grabbed the artifact and when they showed that door, I don't think a guard would have been stationed in the room. The only was this team would have had access to the Chamber was from the Tomb of the Headless Kings. Since the Chamber probably would have only led up to the King's Storeroom, the guard would have been located behind the cover. The only time the guard was stationed in the side door was when the cover failed to go up, or when the team was descending from the King's Storeroom.

-- Kimberly did not try either tree in the Dark Forest, but my gut instinct is telling me that one of them probably held a guard.

To summarize, I think that there was a guard in the Dark Forest, but none in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers. The Ledges seem like a likely place to hold guard, but the lighting tells a different story. The final guard had to be in the King's Storeroom or Ancient Warriors, but I am not sure how either room would have been accessed or which room seems more likely to have held the final guard (or perhaps both of those rooms held a guard, and the Ledges was clear?).