Author Topic: Temple Guard Locations  (Read 8774 times)

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Guard Locations
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
It's time to begin the third season! I can't believe we are already starting Season 3!

Before we begin looking at this season's episodes, I would like to point out some important things about Season 3 that should help to identify where temple guards could and could not have been.
  • First, I would like to mention that in Season 3, only doors leading toward the artifact opened upon completion of a room objective. Rooms that would force a team to backtrack or head in the opposite direction did not open. Also, with the exception of "Bifocal Monocle of One-Eyed Jack," there were no dead ends.
  • Temple guards could have been placed in different armors than the one that activated the next door in the Ancient Warriors.
  • The Dark Forest tree that held the key was not always the one to hold the guard.
  • The Jesters' Court never held a guard.
  • It was quite apparent when a guard was in the Quicksand Bog, because the piling of Styrofoam blocks was significantly higher than usual next to the slide.
  • I have a hypothesis that in all of the episodes in which the Ledges were dark at the start of the run, there was a guard stationed there. Since the guard would have easily been seen by the contestants at the temple gate, they had to dim the lights in the Ledges in order to hide the guard better. NOTE: This hypothesis is not a contrapositive. There may have also been episodes where a guard was stationed in the Ledges with the lights on.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
    • I have a hypothesis that in all of the episodes in which the Ledges were dark at the start of the run, there was a guard stationed there. Since the guard would have easily been seen by the contestants at the temple gate, they had to dim the lights in the Ledges in order to hide the guard better. NOTE: This hypothesis is not a contrapositive. There may have also been episodes where a guard was stationed in the Ledges with the lights on.

The temple guard in the Ledges for "The Dried Apple Half of William Tell" was hiding with the lights on I think.[/list]

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
    Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
    Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
    Favorite team: Purple Parrots
    Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
    Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
    Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: February 03, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »

The temple guard in the Ledges for "The Dried Apple Half of William Tell" was hiding with the lights on I think.

The "Dried Apple Half of William Tell" was the only episode in Season 3 to feature a team encounter a guard in the Ledges. While Olmec was telling Brett and Lauren about the temple guards and pendants, this was what the Ledges looked like (images courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf):

Notice that the lights in the Ledges had been dimmed so that the room was completely dark from the contestants' vantage point. Compare that image with this next one below, taken once Brett was in the Ledges:

The lights were turned on after Brett entered the temple, so that the Ledges were lit in their usual manner again. After he got taken out of the temple and Lauren entered the Ledges, the lights remained on. As Lauren was running up the steps into the temple, we can see that the Ledges were at their usual brightness once again (even from the contestants' vantage point at the temple gate):

So, as we can see from this sequence of images, the lights in the Ledges were off when the team had not yet entered the temple. Once the team first entered the Ledges, the lights in that room turned on so that the temple guard encounter could be seen. Once that guard was encountered, the lights in the Ledges remained on.

If you look at the other runs in which the lights in the Ledges were off at the start of the run ("Much-Heralded Helmet (ep 84)," "Mysterious Manuscript of Mary Shelley (ep 98)," "Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain (ep 103)," "Jeweled Scabbard of Sforza (ep 117)," and "Good-Luck Watch of Empress Eugenie (ep 118)"), you will realize that those teams did NOT enter the Ledges en route to their artifacts, and the lights in the Ledges never turned on; i.e. they looked like the first picture from "Dried Apple Half of William Tell" for their entire runs. Notice that those episodes were taped on different production days, with some of those episodes coming in the middle of days where no other run saw the Ledges unlit. Because of this, we can assume that it was not simply a lighting malfunction, since that same lighting effect was used for all of those episodes scattered throughout the entire season. Furthermore, all of those runs saw only two or less encountered guards, meaning the third guard could have been- and most likely was- in the Ledges.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: February 03, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »
    Oh, the lights turned on once a player entered the temple. Correct?

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
    Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
    Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
    Favorite team: Purple Parrots
    Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
    Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
    Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
    Oh, the lights turned on once a player entered the temple. Correct?

In the episodes aforementioned, the Ledges were left unlit until a contestant entered the Ledges. The only time this happened was "Dried Apple Half of William Tell." In the other five episodes, the lights in the Ledges remained off the entire because the team never entered that room en route to their artifact.

In every other Season 3 episode, the Ledges were lit as soon as they cut back from the final commercial break, and they left the lights on in the Ledges for the entire rest of the episode.

And all of the other rooms, besides the Ledges, were always lit the whole time in every Season 3 episode.

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: February 03, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »
    Let's kick off Season 3 with "Bifocal Monocle of One-Eyed Jack."

Guards Encountered: Ancient Warriors (armor 3), King's Storeroom
    Number of Unencountered Guards: 1
    Rooms not Entered: Secret Password, Quicksand Bog, Dark Forest, Jesters' Court, Ledges

Notes: Most people suggested the last guard was either in the Quicksand Bog or Dark Forest, but nobody made any conclusive decisions since the team did not make it that far into the temple.

My Thoughts: Since Thomas found the half pendant in the Tomb of the Headless Kings, we know that the last guard had to be further into the temple, eliminating the Ledges as an option.

-- The Jesters' Court never held a guard, so that room can also be eliminated.

-- Given the nature of the guard locations from the "Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag" and "War Fan" runs, it would make sense for the last guard in "Bifocal Monocle" to be in the room prior to the artifact, a number of rooms after the second guard. I am not too sure that the Dark Forest would have given immediate access to the Shrine, and I'm not sure that the producers would have forced the team up into the Secret Password, so my best guess is that the Quicksand Bog held the final guard.

-- At no point after Olmec's temple rundown (even in the final credits) do we see the Dark Forest or Quicksand Bog, so we cannot see if the arms of the trees or the piling of Styrofoam blocks in the Bog were unusual, to hint that a guard was located there. Still, my gut instinct is telling me that the Quicksand Bog held the final guard due to the temple guard placements from the proceeding episodes' runs.

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »
    Next is "Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag of William the Conqueror."

Guards Encountered: Crypt, Ancient Warriors (armor 2), Tomb of the Headless Kings
    Number of Unencountered Guards: 0

All of the guards were encountered during this run, so there should not be any question as to where they were.

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: February 04, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
    We have made it to one of the most controversial episodes of this topic: "War Fan of the Forty-Seven Ronin."

Guards Encountered: Crypt, Secret Password
    Number of Unencountered: 1
    Rooms not Entered: King's Storeroom, Ancient Warriors (armors 2 and 3), Dark Forest, Jesters' Court, Ledges

Notes: I was able to compile two pages of comments about the "War Fan" run. There are so many possible rooms that everybody has a different opinion. Some people believed the last guard was in the Ledges, while others were skeptical because that would have placed a guard in both entrance rooms. Not all of the armors were tried in the Ancient Warriors, so some people think one of the wrong armors held a guard; still, this only happened on a few occasions. Other people suggested that the Dark Forest held the final guard, some people claim that room is unlikely because then not all of the guards could have been encountered along a single path.

My Thoughts: The team was not given access to the King's Storeroom or Jesters' Court at any point during this run, and the Jesters' Court never held a guard anyways, so both of those rooms can be eliminated from consideration.

-- When Olmec is telling the team about the temple guards and pendants, there is a little bit of light coming from the Ledges. However, when Olmec lowers the gate after the prize sequence, the Ledges appear dark. Also, there is a brief instance when Elise is first entering the temple where the Ledges are shown. At that point, the Ledges are also dark. The two images are provided below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf. Even though there was only one other instance where there may have been a guard in both entrance rooms (Sforza), there is no reason why this run could not have seen that configuration as well. Jeremy only tried two of the skeletons in the Crypt, so it is possible that the last skeleton would have opened the door to the Ledges.

-- I don't think there was a guard in the Ancient Warriors, since there were only two instances where the guard was placed in an inactive headdress: Chandragupta and Ivan the Terrible. In both of those episodes, the guard was placed in the armor nearest the room the team had entered from. Since Jeremy entered the room from the Chamber of the Sacred Markers, it would have been most likely that a guard would have been placed in the rightmost armor, if there was going to be a guard in that room at all. He tried that armor, and there was clearly not a guard in that armor. For this reason, I am going to disregard the Ancient Warriors as a viable option.

-- The Dark Forest opened when Jeremy completed the Silver Monkey. I have provided an image below as proof, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf:

-- Since the Secret Password and Dark Forest both opened from the Shrine, it is quite possible that this was a divergent path, where both routes would have led to the Quicksand Bog. Seeing as how there were no dead-ends in Season 3 with the exception of "Bifocal Monocle of One-Eyed Jack," it would not have made sense for either room to be a dead end. Also, it was very common in 1 pendant runs in Season 3 to feature some sort of divergent pathway. Sometimes this meant two doors opening in the Pit, but in "War Fan," only the Tomb of the Headless Kings opened from the Pit. Instead, the divergent set of doors appeared in the Shrine. The last guard easily could have been in the Dark Forest since that was the only divergent path available to the team (aside from which entrance room to enter).

-- Having a guard in the Dark Forest would have played out similarly to "Thornwood Gavel of Judge Roy Bean," where the divergent pathways each held a guard somewhere along the route. The only way to encounter both guards would have been if the frontrunner took one of the paths, and then the second runner chose to take the other path (like Kelli detouring to the King's Storeroom when Mike had cleared the Tomb/Chamber). So, as you can see, it was not always necessary for all three guards to be on a single path. For this reason, the Dark Forest is another credible place for the last guard to have been.
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:15:35 PM by PurpleParrot4Life »

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
    • Recognized Legends God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »
    I always thought the Dark Forest was where the third guard was in the "War Fan" run. It could have served as a dead end guard, to punish the team for taking a wrong turn.

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
    I always thought the Dark Forest was where the third guard was in the "War Fan" run. It could have served as a dead end guard, to punish the team for taking a wrong turn.

I don't think the Dark Forest would have been a dead end in "War Fan." Since the only episode of Season 3 to contain a dead end was "Bifocal Monocle," the very first run of the season, I don't think there would have been any other dead ends in any other Season 3 run. Instead, I think the Dark Forest would have served as a diverging, second route from the Shrine that would have led to the Quicksand Bog.

If Jeremy decided to go down into the Dark Forest instead of the Secret Password, it is very likely that the left tree would have held the guard, so that he could not plow through the wall. Once he got captured, Elise would have had to follow his path. If she followed Jeremy's path into the Dark Forest, she would have been given access to the Quicksand Bog. However, if she strayed and went into the Secret Password, her run would have ended in triple capture.

It's the same idea as what happened in "Thornwood Gavel of Judge Roy Bean," except Kelli had a whole pendant, so when she strayed into the King's Storeroom, she was allowed to continue.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
    • Recognized Legends God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #175 on: February 04, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
    I don't think that it would be considered that far of a reach to consider the Dark Forest a deadend in the "War Fan" run. Both "Bifocal Monocle" and "War Fan" runs were produced on the same day. The producers have a tendency to make the temple layouts on the same day to be quite similar in a way. Just look how the Ivan the Terrible/William Tell/Mary Shelley/Robert the Bruce day panned out with almost all of them having brutal layouts. Or how the last production day of S3 having temple layouts that were favorable towards the contestants.

But you do bring up a good point about the Judge Roy Bean layout, PP4L. It could be possible that the Dark Forest and Secret Password both unlocked to the Quicksand Bog. Just in case maybe one of the players were inattentive and enter the other room like Jared did in the "Imperial Wizard" temple run. As for the War Fan run, I am kind of hesitant to consider the Ledges to be the other possibility. I still think "Sforza" was the only run that employed the "double entrance room" guard trick. But since this is S3 now, I don't consider this possibility to farfetched now.
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:51:19 PM by The Red Jaguars »

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: February 04, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »
    I don't think that it would be considered that far of a reach to consider the Dark Forest a deadend in the "War Fan" run. Both "Bifocal Monocle" and "War Fan" runs were produced on the same day. The producers have a tendency to make the temple layouts on the same day to be quite similar in a way. Just look how the Ivan the Terrible/William Tell/Mary Shelley/Robert the Bruce day panned out with almost all of them having brutal layouts. Or how the last production day of S3 having temple layouts that were favorable towards the contestants.

While I understand that most production days were usually rather consistent in their temple guard placements and and layouts, none of the temple guard placements or layouts from that first Season 3 production day were that similar:

BIFOCAL MONOCLE: Guards in the Ancient Warriors, King's Storeroom, and possibly the Quicksand Bog. Featured a two-room-long dead end and a bit of backtracking. Only Shrine run that forced the team to begin in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers (and therefore, one of the longest paths forced for a Shrine run).
    COMET-EMBROIDERED BATTLE FLAG: Guards in the Crypt, Tomb of the Headless Kings, and Ancient Warriors. All guards forced. A rather long but straight-forward path, which was seen in a few other Center of the Rooms/Observatory runs.
    WAR FAN: Guards in the Crypt, Secret Password, and possibly the Dark Forest. Path forced the team from the Tomb of the Headless Kings to the Chamber, then straight across the top floor (identical to "Judge Roy Bean," except the King's Storeroom did not open). Featured a late diverging path from the Shrine.
    MUCH-HERALDED HELMET: No guards encountered, but probably in the Ledges, Chamber, and Secret Password or King's Storeroom. A very straight-forward path that offered a shortcut from the Shrine to Dark Forest. Minimal number of rooms entered in order to reach the Jesters' Court.

Considering the great variety in paths, path difficulties, and temple guard placements seen during this production day, it is not imperative that the Dark Forest had to be a dead end in the "War Fan" run just because the "Bifocal Monocle" run had a dead end in it.

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
    • Recognized Legends God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: February 04, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
    Just look how the Ivan the Terrible/William Tell/Mary Shelley/Robert the Bruce day panned out with almost all of them having brutal layouts.
    Robert the Bruce wasn't on the Discarded Seal filming day. Hans Holbein was.

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: February 04, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »
    Up next is the equally controversial "Much-Heralded Helmet of Sir Gawain."

Guards Encountered: NONE
    Number of Unencountered Guards: 3
    Rooms Not Entered: King's Storeroom, Secret Password, Quicksand Bog, Tomb of the Headless Kings, Ledges

Notes: In the past, some people believed "there was a guard in the Chamber, but since the cover didn't go up when Tiffani completed, despite the flash of light that normally accompanies it, the guard couldn't capture her." The other two guard locations were not discussed at length, though some people thought there may have been a guard in the Quicksand Bog or Secret Password.

My Thoughts: Tiffani tried all three armors in the Ancient Warriors and tried both trees in the Dark Forest, so we don't need to worry about guards potentially being in those rooms.

-- The "Much-Heralded Helmet" is one of the aforementioned runs which featured the darkened Ledges. Even when Tiffani was climbing out of the Ledges upon her exit, the Ledges were pitch black. Due to this lighting effect, I think one of the guards was stationed there.

-- Another reason I find this run especially interesting is because the lights flashed and the sound effect played in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers to make it seem as though the cover/door leading to the King's Storeroom should have opened. No other run saw the flash of light and sound effect without the cover sliding up. Also, the half pendant was located above the left-hand column of markers in the room. The only times the half pendant was located there was when the cover slid up and the team either was forced up to the King's Storeroom from the Chamber, or was forced down from the King's Storeroom to the Chamber. For these reason, I believe that door was meant to open. And even though there were a few episodes that saw that door open without a temple guard behind the cover, I can only think of one (maybe two) instances; nearly every time that cover slid up, a guard was positioned behind it. It seems much more likely that there was a guard waiting behind that door, but since the cover never went up, he could not make the capture.

-- As far as the third guard goes, I cannot make an ultimate decision, but I can confidently say that the final guard was either in the King's Storeroom or Secret Password. I am eliminating the Tomb of the Headless Kings from consideration because the team did not have access to it during the run; only the Chamber opened from the Pit, and the door leading down from the Chamber to the Tomb of the Headless Kings should not have opened since it would have only led to a dead end, which would not have happened. I am also eliminating the Quicksand Bog from consideration because it is clear in the image provided below that the piling of Styrofoam blocks was not situated in the same way as when there was a guard in the room. Image courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf:

-- The image above also a provides a basis on which to understand why the Secret Password may have held the final guard. Once Tiffani completes the Silver Monkey, the doors to the Dark Forest and Secret Password open. The camera begins to sweep into the Secret Password before swinging back toward the Dark Forest to follow Tiffani. It seemed as if the cameraman was anticipating that she would go into the Secret Password. That seems a bit suspicious to me, even though it is but a minor point.

-- The King's Storeroom was not accessible through the path that Tiffani took, but had the cover opened in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers, then she would have been given access to the room, which would have ultimately led down to the Ancient Warriors anyway. Having guards back-to-back in the Chamber and King's Storeroom was seen in "Upside-Down Compass of Henry Hudson," so it would not be out of the question to have that temple guard combination.

So overall, my best guess is that the guards were in the Ledges, Chamber of the Sacred Markers, and either the King's Storeroom or Secret Password.

• Mayan God
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »
    Next on the list is "Lion-Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta."

Guards Encountered: Ancient Warriors (armor 1)
    Number of Unencountered Guards: 2
    Rooms not Entered: Crypt, Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Dark Forest, Jesters' Court, Tomb of the Headless Kings

Notes: In the past thread, there was not much discussion about this run either. One person suggested the last two guards were in the Crypt and Dark Forest.

My Thoughts: I agree that the Crypt and Dark Forest would have been the best two places for the guards to have been placed. Only the King's Storeroom opened from the Pit, and only the Ancient Warriors opened from the King's Storeroom. For this reason, the Chamber, Headless Kings, and Jesters' Court were inaccessible.

-- The Crypt was accessible because it was an entrance room. It is not clear if the Crypt would have only led down to the Ledges, or if the Pit would have been accessible directly from the Crypt as well. Either way, though, it does not matter because it was one of the only two unentered accessible rooms for the two remaining guards to have been placed.

-- Just like in "War Fan of the Forty-Seven Ronin," both the Secret Password and Dark Forest opened from the Shrine. In the "Lion-Headed Bracelet," however, there was not a guard in the Secret Password. Still, since the Dark Forest was the only other unentered accessible room, I am guessing that the last guard for "Lion-Headed Bracelet" was in the Dark Forest in the left tree. When Andrea exits the Quicksand Bog with the Bracelet, she kind of trips and falls, grabbing onto the left tree's right arm. The arm's movement coincides with her grabbing it. However, it is interesting that as Andrea is exiting the room and the left tree is nearly out of the camera's frame, that arm twitches again, even though Andrea is clearly no longer anywhere near the tree. This is further evidence that there was a guard in the Dark Forest.