Author Topic: Temple Guard Locations  (Read 8473 times)

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Guard Locations
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »
Another thing a couple of the S2L5 1.5 pendant temple runs had in common were that the temple guards were more stationed near the beginning of the temple. Both the "Nathan Hale" and "Polynesian Girl" run had temple guards in one entrance room and the next two entered rooms after the Pit. Jason and Elizabeth already encountered a temple guard in the Laser Light Room and Room of the Mandarin Hand. So if this temple run were to follow the pattern of the two runs listed above, then the last guard would be in the Ledges. Plus, the half-pendant was on the Laser Light Room actuator. So usually that means there was at least one temple guard encountered before the half-pendant location.

Precisely, another excellent point. That is just one more reason to believe the final guard was in the Ledges in the "Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus" run.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
Up next is "Broken Wing of Icarus."

Guards Encountered: Mandarin Hand
Number of Unencountered Guards: 2
Rooms not Entered: Ledges, Laser Light Room, Dark Forest (right tree), Mineshaft, Secret Password

Notes: Most people in the past believed there was a guard in the Ledges, since the other S2, L5 runs had a guard in an entrance room. But as far as the other guard goes, there were conflicting ideas. Some people suggested the Laser Light Room held the last guard since the other runs from that production day were clustered near the outside of the temple. Others believed one of the inner temple rooms held the last guard because it would have made that guard more easily avoidable.

My Thoughts: Since this team had only 1 pendant, at least one guard had to be avoidable. As we can tell from the outcome of this run, two guards were avoidable. Nonetheless, we have to construct a situation where one of the unencountered guards may have been forced, while the other was potentially avoidable.

-- It was very common in S2, L5 to place a guard in an entrance room. Since the Crypt led to the Pit, it would not be surprising if there was a guard in the Ledges.
  • The Ledges may have been a dead end, forcing the team to encounter a guard before going up to the Crypt.
  • Another situation is that both the Crypt and Ledges would have led to the Pit. Just like "Milk Bucket of Freydis," it is possible that the bottom door of the Ledges would have opened to the Pit, allowing Jason to go straight across to the Laser Light Room. This would have forced an encounter with the Ledges guard, but may have allowed for the Mandarin Hand Room guard to be bypassed instead.

-- While the image below is very pixelated, if you watch the run at this particular moment with a very keen eye, you will see that the door leading back to the Laser Light Room opened when Jason activated the door in the Jesters' Court. Image courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf.

-- It is not clear if Jason would have been allowed to gain entry to the Laser Light Room from the Pit or Mandarin Hand (or both), but since the door from the Jesters' Court to the Laser Light Room opened, at least one of those doors had to have opened/been able to open. The reason I am making this assumption is that there was never a dead end Throne Room space when the team was already in the inner temple. ["Lost Logbooks of Magellan" and "Golden Cup of Belshazzar" featured a dead end Harmonic Convergence when the team was first trying to enter the inner temple. And "King Tut's Cobra Staff" was not technically a dead end because the door leading to the Wheel Room opened; it was only a 'dead end' because the rock slab was still down.] Given these facts, it is all the more possible that the Ledges would have led across the bottom floor of the Pit, and then into the Laser Light Room and Jesters' Court.

-- Since the cameras never zoomed out to show even a snippet of the Laser Light Room during the run, I suspect a guard may have been perched against the wall of the Laser Light Room. Had the cameras zoomed out like normal, we would have seen the avoided guard, so they purposefully stayed zoomed in on each room in which Jason was present.

-- By placing guards in the Ledges and Laser Light Room, that would have forced two guards to be encountered if the team began by entering through the bottom floor. The run only would have ended in triple capture if April decided to go up to the Mandarin Hand Room (if it was accessible) instead of the Jesters' Court.

-- Since it was common for the guards to be clustered near the outer temple in S2, L5, the Ledges and Laser Light Room seems like a logical and possible combination.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »
I think you're right about the Ledges and Laser Light Room. That's what I was thinking and the picture really helps the reasoning. However, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guards was hidden in the Mine Shaft. Do you think the producers would've put a guard in the other Dark Forest tree?

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
Favorite team: Purple Parrots
Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »
I think you're right about the Ledges and Laser Light Room. That's what I was thinking and the picture really helps the reasoning. However, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guards was hidden in the Mine Shaft. Do you think the producers would've put a guard in the other Dark Forest tree?

There is a very slight chance that the other Dark Forest tree could have held a guard. It was not always necessary for the guard to be in the tree that held the key. Likewise, the Mineshaft could always have a small possibility since there was a guard in the Mineshaft in "Golden Earring of Henry Morgan," which was another 1 pendant run.

But if you look at the last four runs from S2, L5 (the "Broken Wing of Icarus" production day included "Polynesian Girl," "Dolley Madison," and "Nostradamus"), you will notice that all of the guards were stationed in a cluster toward the outside of the temple. All of the guards were seen in the entrance rooms, central shaft, and King's Storeroom; there weren't any guards placed in the deep inner temple. Therefore, I think the guard placement mentioned above for "Broken Wing of Icarus" makes more sense, since it more closely aligns with the temple guard placements from the rest of that production day.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
"Bonnet of Dolley Madison" is up next.

Guards Encountered: Ledges, King's Storeroom
Number of Unencountered Guards: 1
Rooms not Entered: Laser Light Room, Mandarin Hand, Secret Password

Notes: In the other thread, it appears that this run was rushed over, in that there weren't that many notes or details pertaining to this run. The only comments about this episode were that the Mandarin Hand and Secret Password were stronger possibilities than the Laser Light Room.

My Thoughts: The Laser Light Room seemed out of the way of the path, and I'm pretty sure that the Secret Password did not open from the Shrine. This leaves the Mandarin Hand as the only other room to potentially place a guard. It would have made a lot of sense to place the guard in the Mandarin Hand.

-- The door from the Observatory opened down to the Mandarin Hand when Matt aligned the stone column, and the door leading back to the Mandarin Hand from the King's Storeroom opened when Ashlie put the key in the correct pedestal. Since that entire triangular loop was open, it would not surprise me if there had been another guard in that loop. As I have noted previously in other Season 2 episodes, the producers seemed to love to put two guards in that three-room configuration whenever that whole loop was open. Placing a guard in the Mandarin Hand would have kept the temple guard placement for "Bonnet of Dolley Madison" within those same parameters.

-- And as I mentioned in the "Broken Wing of Icarus" comment, this production day saw all of the guards clustered toward the outside of the temple. "Levitating Dog Leash," "Broken Wing," and "Priceless Portrait" all saw guards in the Mandarin Hand. Therefore, it would make perfect sense to place the last guard for "Bonnet of Dolley Madison" in the Mandarin Hand Room, as opposed to the Laser Light Room or Secret Password.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:32:01 PM by PurpleParrot4Life »

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
And to complete Season 2, let's look at "Priceless Portrait of the Polynesian Girl."

Guards Encountered: Crypt, Mandarin Hand, Observatory
Number of Unencountered Guards: 0

All of the guards were encountered in this run, so there should not be any question as to where they were.

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
I always thought the temple guards were in the Ledges and the Mine Shaft. I know the Laser Light room was supposedly open, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a temple placed in the Mine Shaft, ala "Henry Morgan."

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »
I always thought the temple guards were in the Ledges and the Mine Shaft. I know the Laser Light room was supposedly open, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a temple placed in the Mine Shaft, ala "Henry Morgan."

Which run are you referring to? I'm guessing it's "Broken Wing of Icarus," but I'd like to be sure we're talking about the same episode. ;)

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
Yeah, I meant Icarus.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »

Which run are you referring to? I'm guessing it's "Broken Wing of Icarus," but I'd like to be sure we're talking about the same episode. ;)

Yeah, I meant Icarus.

Having the guard in the Mineshaft in "Icarus" would make some sense because it would have similar to "Henry Morgan." The "Henry Morgan" run featured guards in the Laser Light Room and Mineshaft, and probably had the last guard stationed in the Ledges.

However, even though both episodes were 1 pendant runs from the same layout, the two episodes were filmed on different production days. Since the other episodes from the "Icarus" production day featured all of the guards in the outer temple (or can be deduced to have the unencountered guards in the outer temple), I think having a guard in the Mineshaft would have been very out of place.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
I believe the last guard in Dolley Madison was in the Room of the Mandarin Hand and here is why:

- Matt already encountered a temple guard and dead end in the Ledges. In other S2L5 like "Nathan Hale" and "Polynesian Girl", James and Scott encountered dead ends in the Ledges and were forced in the Crypt also. From there, they were forced into the upper rooms of the Pit and not granted entry to the bottom floor.

- The Room of the Mandarin Hand both opened from the Observatory AND King's Storeroom. So I assume that the Room of the Mandarin Hand would've opened from the Pit of Despair also. If this was the case, I don't think the producers would've allowed the Laser Light Room door to open because it was rare for all three doors to open in the Pit.

- The Room of the Secret Password door did not open from the Shrine. You can also see the elevator down in the Mine Shaft, meaning that the team was not meant to enter the Room of the Secret Password from the Shrine anyways.

So I assume that both the Laser Light Room and Secret Password were locked during this run. And this run also seems to mimic the "Benjamin Franklin" temple guard layout: Entrance room temple guard, avoidable center of the temple guard, and a forced guard in the King's Storeroom. In "Dolley Madison" though, Matt avoided the center of the room temple guard and encountered his first guard in the Ledges.

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
Jim, not Scott. And he never entered the Ledges. ;)

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

If Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have been ruining the music industry since 2008, please copy and paste this into your signature for everyone to see.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
Yeah, Jim started in the Crypt, and never once went down to the Ledges. They weren't entered until Kristen entered there when time ran out. So "Priceless Portrait" can get skipped over because we already know where the three guards were. The Crypt being one of them.

As for Dolley Madison, the other temple guard probably was in the Room of the Mandarin Hand. Since the the door did open from the Observatory.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
It sounds like everyone is in consensus that the final guard for "Dolley Madison" was in the Mandarin Hand.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:05 PM »
It sounds like everyone is in consensus that the final guard for "Dolley Madison" was in the Mandarin Hand.

Pretty much. I agree.

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
Favorite team: Purple Parrots
Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court