Author Topic: Temple Guard Locations  (Read 12239 times)

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Guard Locations
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2013, 01:00:26 AM »
The Observatory did not open to the Troubled Bridge in the Cosa Rara run actually. When Jessica is in the Rock Quarry, you can still see the Observatory door closed from the Troubled Bridge. So if the team did enter the Crypt, it looks like they would've been forced down into the Ledges all along.

While the door was not slid over, the step in the staircase had lowered. I have provided an image below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf. It is similar to what happened in the Pit of the Pendulum during "Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain" run, only we will never know if the door's mechanism got stuck in this run as well.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
Next up will be "Jeweled Necklace of Montezuma" and "Lost Lion Tail of Little John."

Jeweled Necklace of Montezuma
Guards Encountered: Crypt, Medusa's Lair, Dark Forest (left tree)
Number of Unencountered Guards: 0

Lost Lion Tail of Little John
Guards Encountered: Ledges, Swamp, Dark Forest (left tree)

Both of the teams encountered all three guards, so there shouldn't be any question as to where the guards were.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
Up now is "Shriveled Hand of Efoua."

Guards Encountered: Observatory, Medusa's Lair
Number of Unencountered Guards: 1
Rooms not Entered: Ledges, Laser Light Room, Dark Forest

Notes: All of the rooms were mentioned at one point or another as being a likely location to hold the last guard. The Ledges could have been a dead-end that held a guard and forced the team up to the Crypt. The Laser Light Room holding the guard may have allowed for a second path along the bottom floor of the temple, similar to what happened in "Treasure Map of Jean Lafitte." Some people believed the Dark Forest held the last guard, saying it would not have been the first time that all three guards were unavoidable. Since the team had 2 pendants, it would not have mattered if all three guards were forced.

My Thoughts: It is hard to narrow down where the final guard was, but I have a feeling it was in the Ledges.

-- I doubt that the guard would have been in the Laser Light Room because it was very uncommon for all three guards to be in the central shaft. There was only one (maybe two) other episode where the guards were all stationed there, and that was in "Collar of Davy Crockett" from Season 1. That only leaves the Dark Forest and the Ledges as viable options to hold the last guard.

-- If you look at the other runs for this production day (Iron Mask, Nzinga, and Napoleon, which we will be getting to in the next few posts), you will notice that all of those episodes featured clustered guards that were primarily stationed in the outer temple. The only guard to not follow this trend was the Dark Forest guard in Nzinga. Since temple guard placements tended to stay quite consistent over any particular production day, it would not have made sense to place the final guard in the Dark Forest in the "Shriveled Hand" run. The Dark Forest would have been the final room before the artifact, and there would have been 4-5 rooms between the second and third guards, depending on whether the second runner bypassed the Lightning Ball Room or not. The Ledges, on the other hand, would have been a potentially avoidable room in the outer temple that would have been clustered with the other guards from the "Shriveled Hand" run. To me, the Ledges seems like a more probable room to hold the last guard.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
I think the last guard in "Efoua" was in the Ledges. If the last temple guard was in the Dark Forest, then that means that all of the temple guards were forced. It was pretty uncommon for all three temple guard encounters to be forced in any given season. I am not saying that it never happened (it happened in Sojourner Truth and Gordian Knot IIRC), but it was still pretty rare for a team to encounter all three guards. The Ledges makes more sense where the last temple guard would be avoidable and I would assume the Ledges were just a deadend anyways like in Sultain Suleiman and Ivory Elephant.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
I always thought the last guard was in the Dark Forest. However, I guess TRJ is right when he said that three forced guards is rare. Maybe it was the Ledges.

Also, I'm still confused with the Atocha run. I still don't see how there could be two guards in both entrance rooms with a layout like that. It just seems impossible for that to be a possibility. I still say the final two guards were in the Throne Room and Swamp.

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
Favorite team: Purple Parrots
Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »
I don't think the last guard in Atocha was in the Crypt either. We don't really know what doors would've opened on the bottom floor of the temple, but I am thinking the last guard was in the Swamp and Throne Room too. Since Ty and Jennifer had one pendant, it seemed unfair to put a guard in both entrance rooms. That is way too gimmicky of a temple layout to put a guard in both entrance rooms. The only temple run I ever see having a guard in both entrance rooms was in the Sforza run. And it makes sense too for that temple run because it was on the very last production day of the season. So the entire production day was filled with gimmicky layouts. But I definitely don't think the Atocha run had a guard in both rooms.

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
The third temple guard in Efoua had to be in the Ledges. That's the only room that would fit. It would be stationed there to serve as a "direct path" trick, ala "The Bonnet of Dolley Madison." The Dark Forest just doesn't match up at all, even as a "one room away" trick.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
To return to the "Atocha" run:

Up next is "Lucky Medallion of Atocha."

Encountered Guards: Ledges
Number of Unencountered Guards: 2
Rooms not Entered: Crypt, Throne Room, Swamp, Dark Forest

Notes: Every room was brought up as a possible room, for one reason or another. Some people suggested the Crypt because the layout seemed as though the producers may have put a guard in both entrance rooms. Other people mentioned the Throne Room/Swamp because they didn't think the Crypt held a guard and the Dark Forest did not open from the Shrine. Others said there was a possibility for there to have been a second path that led across the bottom floor of the temple, and they placed the guards in the Throne Room and Dark Forest because there didn't appear to be a guard in the Swamp when Ty exited the temple.

My Thoughts: To be completely honest, this run puzzles me. I don't think there would have been a completely divergent second path to the artifact, but I am also hesitant to believe the producers placed guards in both entrance rooms.

-- I suppose they may have put a guard in both the Crypt and Ledges because this was a 1 pendant run. It seemed that the 1 pendant run temple guard placements were more gimmicky and more spaced out, since it had to be possible to avoid at least one guard entirely.

-- Like the prior comments, I don't think the Swamp had a guard because there didn't appear to be one when Ty exited the temple. Also, I doubt the Dark Forest would have held a guard because the Shrine didn't not lead to that room, and I don't think there was a completely alternate path along the bottom floor of the temple. The only way for a guard to have been stationed in the Dark Forest, then, would have been if the Throne Room opened to Medusa's Lair and the Swamp, and to have a two-room-long dead end in the Swamp and Dark Forest. I don't think that would have happened.

-- For these reasons, the only rooms left for there to have been a guard would have been the Crypt and Throne Room. I suppose that the placement of the guards would have made sense: Crypt, Ledges, Throne Room. In the other episodes from that day and the day prior, all of the guards were clustered together, near the outside of the temple. My suggested placements would have followed suit.
Also, I'm still confused with the Atocha run. I still don't see how there could be two guards in both entrance rooms with a layout like that. It just seems impossible for that to be a possibility. I still say the final two guards were in the Throne Room and Swamp.
I don't think the last guard in Atocha was in the Crypt either. We don't really know what doors would've opened on the bottom floor of the temple, but I am thinking the last guard was in the Swamp and Throne Room too. Since Ty and Jennifer had one pendant, it seemed unfair to put a guard in both entrance rooms. That is way too gimmicky of a temple layout to put a guard in both entrance rooms. The only temple run I ever see having a guard in both entrance rooms was in the Sforza run. And it makes sense too for that temple run because it was on the very last production day of the season. So the entire production day was filled with gimmicky layouts. But I definitely don't think the Atocha run had a guard in both rooms.

When I introduced the "Atocha" run in this thread, the first thing I stated about it was that this run baffled me. It is confusing to think about how the temple guards may have been placed because all of the possible combinations seem very unusual.

-- Placing the guards in the Crypt and Throne Room would have allowed all three guards to be encountered if the team began by entering the "wrong" entrance room, and by taking the commonly-used bottom door in the Pit. While placing a guard in both entrance rooms would have been very gimmicky, it would fit with the pattern of temple guard placements from the rest of the day: all of the guards were clustered toward the outer temple.

-- Placing the guards in the Throne Room and Swamp would have allowed all three guards to be encountered if the team stayed on the bottom floor as long as possible. It is not clear whether they would have been given access to the whole bottom floor, or if they would have been forced upstairs/back by a dead end. It was not out of the question to place guards in dead ends in Season 2, and this temple guard placement would also feature a cluster of guards toward the outer temple.

As you can see, both of those combinations seem possible because they are quite similar in how they would be encountered.

However, the biggest problem I have with having the guards in the Throne Room and Swamp for the "Atocha" run is that that placement would have forced one of two things to occur:
  • There would have been a completely separate path across the bottom floor of the temple.  OR
  • The Throne Room would have led up to Medusa's Lair, creating a dead end in the Swamp.

It would be very surprising if there was a second path en route to the artifact. If there were any diverging paths in the temple, they were always brief ("Thornwood Gavel" and "Jean Lafitte" had the biggest diverging/re-converging pathways seen in the show). There were never any entirely separate paths to get to the artifact, so I doubt that would have happened here.

There were plenty of dead ends in the Swamp space during Season 1, but not once did we see a dead end Swamp/Jesters' Court space over the entire second season. There were dead ends in Medusa's Lair/upper central shaft during Observatory and King's Storeroom runs in Season 2, but there were never any dead ends in the Swamp during that season. I'm not saying it was impossible to have a dead end there; I'm saying that it is highly unlikely because it didn't happen in any of the other episodes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:24:30 AM by PurpleParrot4Life »

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »
If you want to continue discussing previous episodes, including the unresolved "Atocha" run, please feel free to do so. I love collaborating on these ideas and throwing new ideas out. Even if people have different opinions or views, I think it's great that we can discuss all of the possible options that others may not have considered. The only thing I ask is that everyone please quote the past comments so that all of the comments and ideas pertaining to the same episode stay together. It is much easier to find, read, and remember all of the explored options for the different episodes if all of the past comments are together in the same comment. That way, we can go back through the episodes later and easily find all of the information relating to the episode in question, rather than having to hunt through the many numbers of pages that have been collected here.

I will be moving on to the next episode in my next post, but again, please feel free to continue discussing previously-mentioned but unresolved episodes.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
Eh, I feel like both scenarios are out of place for Season 2. I don't recall any S2 temple runs where there was a temple guard in both entrance rooms, nor were there any deadends in the Swamp in S2 at all. However, I would take the Swamp deadend scenario over the double entrance room guard one. Who knows, maybe the Swamp would've opened up to the King's Storeroom? Highly unlikely, but we don' know what rooms opened from the bottom floor.

I am ready to move onto the next episode now anyways. Looks like next up is "The Mask of the Man in the Iron Mask".

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
"Mask of the Man in the Iron Mask" is indeed up now.

Guards Encountered: Medusa's Lair, Swamp
Number of Unencountered Guards: 1
Rooms not Entered: Crypt, Lightning Ball Room, **Dark Forest (key was not searched for)

Notes: Many people believed the final guard was in the Crypt in this run. The reasoning was that it "would have been similar to the other runs where the artifact would be in the Observatory, and would have been a trap if the team was dumb enough to take the direct path."

My Thoughts: As I mentioned in the last comment about the "Efoua" run, this production day's temple guard placement featured the guards clustered toward the outside of the temple. "Two-Cornered Hat of Napoleon" saw an avoidable guard in the Crypt, and "Shriveled Hand of Efoua" may have had an avoidable guard in the Ledges. Given these two runs, it would not be out of the question to suggest that the final guard for "Iron Mask" was also in an avoidable entrance room.

-- It seemed as though this run's path and temple guard placements were somewhat similar to the "Jeweled Necklace of Montezuma" run from three episodes prior. Although the two runs were on different days and the artifacts were in different rooms, the general layout seemed almost identical: there was a dead end in Medusa's Lair that featured a guard, there was another guard in the bottom floor of the temple, and both teams utilized the ladder leading from the Mineshaft to the Shrine. Given these similarities, it would not surprise me if the final guard for the "Iron Mask" run was in the Crypt, exactly as it was for the "Jeweled Necklace."

-- And just to throw this out there on a whim: Justin entered the King's Storeroom in the final second of the run, and a guard did not come out from behind the door. However, Kirk's final commentary was "Oh! He got caught! He was just one room away!" While I believe Kirk meant that time caught up with Justin, it may have meant that the final guard was in the King's Storeroom, but was edited out. I really doubt it, but it's something worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:13:23 PM by PurpleParrot4Life »

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
And to finish up S2, L3, let's do "Crown of Queen Nzinga" and "Two-Cornered Hat of Napoleon."

Crown of Queen Nzinga
Guards Encountered: Laser Light Room, Swamp, Dark Forest (right tree)

Two-Cornered Hat of Napoleon
Guards Encountered: Crypt, Laser Light Room, Swamp

Both of these runs saw the contestants encounter all three guards. There should not be any question as to where they were.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
Let's begin S2, L4 with "Silk Sash of Mulan."

Guards Encountered: Crypt, Observatory, Laser Light Room

All of the guards were encountered during this run, so there should not be any question about where they were.

However, I do have a question about the path that Jessie and Steven needed to take. The Observatory was a detour for this team, since they began in Medusa's Lair. Once Steven got his bearings, he went down to the Laser Light Room and across to the Jesters' Court. After completing the Jesters' Court, we was forced back up to the King's Storeroom.

-- Do you think that the Laser Light Room opened back up to the Pit when Steven revealed the white light? It is hard to tell since there are no zoomed out camera angles of that doorway at any point during the run or during the credits.

-- Considering how long this path was already, do you think the Secret Password would have directly opened from the Shrine, or do you think they would have been forced down again into the Mineshaft?

I would like to consider these two questions before moving on to "Golden Goblet of Attila the Hun" because that run featured a similar path layout. Using our knowledge about this run may help to predict the temple guard placement in the "Golden Goblet" run. Likewise, use your understanding about the "Golden Goblet" run to think about the questions above.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:49:25 PM by PurpleParrot4Life »

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
"Golden Goblet of Attila the Hun" shared many attributes with "Silk Sash of Mulan." Both runs featured paths that forced the teams to switch floors in a series of consecutive rooms. The temple guards in "Silk Sash of Mulan" were all clustered toward the outside of the temple. However, a different configuration had to have been seen in "Golden Goblet."

Guards Encountered: Medusa's Lair
Number of Unencountered Guards: 2
Rooms not Entered: Ledges, Secret Password, Dark Forest

Notes: Everybody seemed to believe that there was a guard in the Ledges. Since the half pendant was in the Pit of Despair, there was most likely a guard in the Ledges because it was the only unentered room prior to the half pendant. For the second guard, though, there was much more debate. Some people claimed their heard/saw the door open from the Jesters' Court to the Dark Forest, which may or may not have allowed direct entry to the Mineshaft. Others suggested that the Secret Password held the other guard because it would not have made sense to force Rachelle down from the Shrine to the bottom floor for a third time.

My Thoughts: I agree that one of the guards had to be in the Ledges. The only time I could imagine there being a guard in both the Secret Password and Dark Forest spaces in the same run is "War Fan of the Forty-Seven Ronin," but I will discuss that later on. In the meantime, the Ledges had to have been part of the "unencountered guard" combination.

-- I believe that the other guard was in the Secret Password. When I went back and watched the run, I did not hear the proper sound effect for the Dark Forest to open from the Jesters' Court, nor did I see light come into the Jesters' Court to indicate that the door opened. And as mentioned in the notes, I doubt Rachelle would have been forced to switch floors another time from the Shrine, especially considering the fact that the elevator was up in the Secret Password during the temple overview.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »
Yeah, I think the last guards in Attila the Hun were in the Ledges and Secret Password. I rewatched the run, and I didn't see the Dark Forest open from the Jester's Court at all. So it's not like the producers were trying to pull an "Alhambra" or "Empress Theodora". The Ledges makes sense for the first guard because there was usually at least one temple guard before the half-pendant in S2. And I think the other temple guard was in the Secret Password. I am not sure how the Dark Forest would've worked for the team though. Could they have plowed through the Mine Shaft wall? If so, then it was possible to get a solo victory out of this run.