Author Topic: Temple Guard Locations  (Read 8727 times)

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Guard Locations
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Also, Ponce de Leon had a one room away guard. It probably happened more times in Season 1, but the contestants never encountered those guards.

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
Here are one room away guards from the top of my head:

Great Seal
Magellan
Amelia Earhart
Buddha
Gordian Knot
Sir Edmund Hillary (close enough anyways)
Atahualpa
Mata Hari
Blue Pearl

Also, Ponce de Leon had a one room away guard. It probably happened more times in Season 1, but the contestants never encountered those guards.

Wow, the "one room away" guard happened more frequently than I thought in Season 1. I guess it would make sense, then, for some of the other unencoutered guards in Season 1 to have been stationed one room away from the artifacts in their respective episodes as well.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
To finish S1, L2, next up are "Elizabeth I's Golden Ship" and "John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Goldmine."

Elizabeth I's Golden Ship
Encountered Guards: Cave of Sighs, Heart Room, Room of the Golden Idols
Number of Unencountered Guards: 0

John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Goldmine
Encountered Guards: Cave of Sighs, Throne Room, Room of the Golden Idols

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »
To start off S1, L3, let's look at "Star of Sultan Saladin."

Encountered Guards: Tomb of Ancient Kings
Number of Unencountered Guards: 2
Rooms not Entered: Heart Room, Pirate's Cove, Cave of Sighs

Notes: Past comments said that one of the two remaining guards was undoubtedly in the Cave of Sighs. I have provided a photo below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf. There shouldn't be a need to identify the guard; it is hopefully very apparent. The other unencountered guard was either in the Pirate's Cove or Heart Room, either of which would have been an unnecessary room to enter. All of the past comments stated that the final guard was probably in the Heart Room, considering how often there was a guard in that room, especially as a dead end.

My Thoughts: There was, without question, a guard in the Cave of Sighs in this run. The other guard could have been in either of the other unentered rooms. If I had to guess which one, I would say the Heart Room seemed more likely, since other runs, such as the "Man in the Iron Mask," featured a dead-end Center of the Room with a guard. Having the guard in the Heart Room would also satisfy the "entrance room, central shaft, inner temple" pattern that was so common in Season 1.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 12:37:31 AM »
Yeah, I think the last guard was in the Heart Room. It seemed like a useless detour room for me where Leah could've entered it from the Wall Climb and then be forced down into the Throne Room. I don't see the Pirate's Cove being a possibility as it would've been easier to put the guard in the Dungeon if they really wanted the team to encounter him. Plus, the Heart Room was used a lot for temple guard encounters in S1.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
Let's continue on with "The Keys to the Alhambra."

Encountered Guards: Throne Room, Tomb of Ancient Kings
Number of Unencountered Guards: 1
Rooms not Entered: Room of the Three Gargoyles, Observatory, Treasure Room, Shrine, Pirate's Cove

Notes: In the previous thread, there were conflicting ideas about where the final guard was in this run. One past suggestion was that the final guard was on the top floor of the inner temple, in either the Shrine or Pirate's Cove. Other people rebutted, pointing out that this was a 1 pendant run, which meant that one guard had to have been avoidable. If the last guard was in either the Shrine or Pirate's Cove, then all three guards would have been forced encounters. Instead, they suggested that the final guard may have been in the Gargoyle Room.

My Thoughts: I agree that one of the guards had to have been avoidable. One thing worth mentioning is that the remaining guard was the black-masked one with the leopard-print shawl. In the first thirteen episodes (before the Dungeon incident), he was always the one stationed in the Room of the Three Gargoyles and Heart Room, if a guard was stationed in that room. He was also sometimes stationed in the Shrine. Given this information, it would make sense that the unencountered guard would have been in one of those two rooms.

-- There is one major deciding factor that would ultimately determine where the last guard was: the path. The biggest question I have is, which path was the team supposed to take? The golden door from the Tomb of Ancient Kings to the Shrine opened after the temple guard appeared, but was it supposed to open?

-- In the event that the team was supposed to head from the Tomb to the Shrine, then the Shrine would have been part of the forced path. The last guard could not have been in the Shrine, since that would have made all three guards forced. If this was the intended path, then the Heart Room would have only led back down into the Throne Room, like the "Butch Cassidy" path. In that case, the last guard would have been in the Room of the Three Gargoyles.

-- It is also possible that the Tomb of Ancient Kings was a dead end, as evidence of the lack of a sound effect when Lisa placed the key on the magnet in the room. Even when doors were previously opened in other runs, they still played sound effects when players tried the actuators. The Heart Room may have led up to the Observatory (the Treasure Room did not open when Lisa tried it, but she never tried to go up) and then across the top floor, like the "Paintbrush of Leonardo da Vinci" and "Leif Erikson" runs. If this was the case, then the Tomb of Ancient Kings guard would have been avoidable, meaning the last guard could have been in either the Room of the Three Gargoyles or the Shrine.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
I actually think the Tomb-Shrine path was the route that the team should've taken. So even though Steve did beeline for the artifact, I think the Red Jaguars were suppose to go that way. I don't think the Tomb of the Ancient Kings was a dead end because that would've been pretty much been a two room dead end. I don't remember any other temple run where two rooms were on a dead end path. Unless the Spider's Lair opened up to the Room of the Golden Idols, which I doubt because 1.) those doors never seemed to open in season one and 2.) it would've been hard to climb the webbing anyways.

I think the last guard was in the Room of the Three Gargoyles. It definitely wouldn't be in the Shrine or Pirate's Cove because one guard had to be avoidable.  So the Gargoyle Room made the most sense.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
I don't think the Tomb of the Ancient Kings was a dead end because that would've been pretty much been a two room dead end. I don't remember any other temple run where two rooms were on a dead end path.

There are a few episodes in Season 1 with multiple-room dead ends that come to mind. "Golden Cup of Belshazzar" had a dead end in the Wheel Room/Harmonic Convergence. The "Golden Chains of Zenobia" and "Silver Saddle Horn of Hannibal" runs featured a three-room-long dead end with the Heart Room/Treasure Room/Observatory. Then, from the other seasons, there was also the "Golden Stallion of Ali Baba," which had a dead-end upper central shaft, and "Bifocal Monocle of One-Eyed Jack," which had a dead-end Ancient Warriors/King's Storeroom.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
The Heart Room and Observatory were definitely not dead ends in "Zenobia". The team was suppose to take the Observatory and Heart Room enroute to the artifact. Justin was too stupid to realize that he could go down from the Heart Room, the intended path during that temple run. So that is the reason why the team really lost.

The same thing for the "Silver Saddle Horn" run. The Heart Room and Observatory were an alternate path from the Gargoyle Room that the team would take if they started at the top of the temple. The Treasure Room was the only real dead end room in both runs since it did not add any additional progress for either team and was not an alternate path. Although I am not sure why the treasure chest didn't work when it should in this sitation.

I guess you can call the "Ali Baba" central shaft detour a dead end. I am not sure that once again the producers were trying to make an alternate path out of it if the team chose to start at the top of the central shaft. This path reminds me more of "The Silk Sash of Mulan" where it would've been easier just to go through the bottom floor.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
The Heart Room and Observatory were definitely not dead ends in "Zenobia". The team was suppose to take the Observatory and Heart Room enroute to the artifact. Justin was too stupid to realize that he could go down from the Heart Room, the intended path during that temple run. So that is the reason why the team really lost.

The same thing for the "Silver Saddle Horn" run. The Heart Room and Observatory were an alternate path from the Gargoyle Room that the team would take if they started at the top of the temple. The Treasure Room was the only real dead end room in both runs since it did not add any additional progress for either team and was not an alternate path. Although I am not sure why the treasure chest didn't work when it should in this sitation.

I guess you can call the "Ali Baba" central shaft detour a dead end. I am not sure that once again the producers were trying to make an alternate path out of it if the team chose to start at the top of the central shaft. This path reminds me more of "The Silk Sash of Mulan" where it would've been easier just to go through the bottom floor.

I understand that the central shaft in "Zenobia" and "Saddle Horn" acted as a path if the team began on the upper floor. But when I called them dead-ends, I meant that, with the paths the teams took, going up the central shaft brought them out of the way and into the "triangle to nowhere." There was no way out besides back to the bottom of the central shaft and across the bottom floor. So for all intent and purpose, the Observatory, Heart Room, and Treasure Room acted as excessive, unnecessary rooms.

The same thing could be said about Eusinia going into the Throne Room during "King Tut's Cobra Staff." Had she begun on the bottom floor, the path would have forced her from the Wheel Room to the Throne Room, and then to the Heart Room; but with the path she actually took, the Throne Room was a dead-end that only would have led away from the artifact.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
Next on the list is the "Helmet of Genghis Khan."

Encountered Guards: Cave of Sighs, Shrine of the Silver Monkey
Rooms not Entered: Heart Room, Throne Room, Spider's Lair, Tomb of Ancient Kings, Dungeon

Notes: Past beliefs were that the final guard was in either the Heart Room or Throne Room, since there was usually at least one guard in the central shaft. Many people were leaning toward the Throne Room, in case the team took the popular lowest route out of the Wall Climb.

My Thoughts: I agree that the final guard was in the central shaft, but I believe the guard was in the Heart Room.

-- The Spider's Lair did not appear to have a headdress peeking out from the Styrofoam blocks, and neither the Tomb of Ancient Kings or the Dungeon opened down from the Shrine. Additionally, the block between the Pirate's Cove and Dungeon was lowered, further suggesting that the team was not able to enter the bottom floor. The only rooms left as options become the Heart Room and Throne Room.

-- The only guard not encountered was the black-masked guard with the leopard-skin shawl. As I have mentioned in this thread, that guard was always stationed in the Room of the Three Gargoyles and Heart Room, and was sometimes stationed in the Shrine. The Throne Room usually was protected by the gold-masked guard, and was sometimes guarded by the green-masked guard if the gold-masked guard was in the Cave of Sighs. Since the black-masked guard never guarded the Throne Room, that only leaves the Heart Room as an unentered room. Since that guard was the one usually stationed there, it makes even more sense for the last guard to have been in there.

-- Additionally, I couldn't tell if the Heart Room opened from the Observatory, but having that doorway open with an avoidable guard in the Heart Room/Room of Fallen Columns/Medusa's Lair occurred a few times in Seasons 1 and 2. It would not be out of the question for that path configuration to happen again.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
Next is the "Trojan Horseshoe."

Encountered Guards: Heart Room, Shrine
Rooms not Entered: Room of the Three Gargoyles, Observatory, Spider's Lair, Throne Room

Notes: Past comments noted that the last guard was spotted in the Spider's Lair. A supplemental photo is below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf.

My Thoughts: I agree that the temple guard was in that room. My only question is, how would the team have entered that room, since the Throne Room didn't open from the Wall Climb?

And to finish S1, L3, last up is "Pendant of Kamehameha."

Encountered Guards: Throne Room, Heart Room, Dungeon

All of the guards were encountered. There isn't any question of where they were.

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »
Well, there's two possibilities, but both would involve switching from the upper floor to the lower floor.  In fact, maybe the entire block of the Heart Room, the Throne Room, the Spider's Lair and the Room of the Golden Idols was interconnected.

What makes the most sense for me is for the producers to have expected the team in "The Trojan Horseshoe" to try to stick to the low road for as much as possible.  So when the Wall Climb-Throne Room door didn't open, they might instead climb down into the Throne from the Heart Room, then Lucretia would be taken out in the Spider's Lair and then Shawn would've climbed up to the Room of the Golden Idols and gotten captured in the Shrine.  It seems a little more likely than the producers banking on the team trying to hug an idol, because if they wanted that to happen, they should've made that the only objective of that room in the first place.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
Onto S1, L4! First up is "Lost Logbooks of Magellan."

Encountered Guards: Room of Harmonic Convergence, Heart Room, Pirate's Cove

All three guards were encountered in this run, so there shouldn't be any question of where they were.  ;)  This is also the only episode where a guard was encountered in the Pirate's Cove space during Season 1.

On a side note regarding this run: Was the Room of Harmonic Convergence really a dead end? I don't think it necessarily was. I believe the door leading up to the Heart Room should have opened, but didn't. Robert didn't exactly step down very forcefully on the markers on the right/back side of the room. Kirk even said, "The door opens!" when he passed over that combination, and when Kirk realized that the doors were still locked, he told Robert to try the markers again. Lastly, I believe the half-pendant was on the floor of the Harmonic Convergence. The four photos below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf, all show a small, shiny object on the floor. The two top images and the lower left image were from when Robert was in the room, and the final image was during Jessica's time in that room. I don't believe that object was a Styrofoam pellet from the Wall Climb. If that really is the half pendant, then the only reason it would have been in the Harmonic Convergence was if it was meant to be (or could have been) part of the path. As with many episodes, the Harmonic Convergence guard was avoidable because the door from the Wall Climb also opned directly into the Heart Room.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:12:33 PM by PurpleParrot4Life »

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
Yeah, it is possible that the Heart Room lead down to the Throne Room in "The Trojan Horseshoe". Either that, or the Golden Idols could've lead down to the Spider's Lair also. I think it is a good thing the Green Monkeys didn't go down into that room because it would've been hard to climb up the webbing. Just look how Billy from "Lost Hammer" struggled to climb to the top of the web. It was to thin really to make it up far.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:05:10 PM by The Red Jaguars »