Author Topic: Temple Guard Locations  (Read 9967 times)

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Guard Locations
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
Next on the list is "Melted Head of Madame Tussaud."

Guards Encountered: Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Ancient Warriors (armor 2)
Number of Unencountered Guards: 1
Rooms not Entered: Secret Password, Dark Forest, Jesters' Court, Ledges

Notes: Most people thought the last guard was in the Ledges. This run's path and known temple guard placements matched "Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain," except for the faulty door mechanism leading from the Pit to the King's Storeroom. Since the last guard in "Lost Hornpipe" was most likely in the Ledges, they thought that the guard would have been in the Ledges for "Melted Head" as well. A few others suggested that the Secret Password could hold a guard, since Jennifer ran into that room as time ran out.

A very useful piece of information for this run is that the half pendant was most likely located in front of the center pot in the King's Storeroom. As Nicholas tries the key in the final pedestal, we can see something left on the middle pedestal, and it does not look like a shard of a broken pot. Even though that meant that the half pendant would have been situated next to a pot that did not either hold the key or cover the proper keyhole, it would not have been the first time that happened. Coincidentally enough, it also occurred in "Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain."

My Thoughts: Even though there are so many similarities between "Melted Head" and "Lost Hornpipe," I think the last guard in "Melted Head" may have been in the Secret Password. Jennifer entered the Secret Password from the Shrine, which was also the case for every other contestant who encountered a guard in the Secret Password.

-- As time ran out, Jennifer finished assembling the Silver Monkey and ran into the Secret Password. We can see that the Dark Forest did not open as well, so that means that the Dark Forest can be eliminated from consideration. Likewise, the team never was given access to the Jesters' Court, nor did it ever house a guard, so that room can be eliminated too.

-- The guard in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers was potentially avoidable if Nicholas had begun by going straight into the King's Storeroom from the Pit. Therefore, the last guard did not have to be avoidable.

-- The reason I think the Secret Password held the final guard instead of the Ledges is in the camerawork at the end of the run. When time ran out, the contestant usually stopped whatever objective they were completing and the camera stayed on them for a moment before cutting back to Kirk, who would then close the episode. However in "Melted Head," when time ran out, Jennifer continued to assemble the Silver Monkey. The sound effect for the Silver Monkey played and then she ran into the Secret Password as if time had not yet run out. And instead of following her, the cameraman stayed in the Shrine and then immediately and abruptly cut back to Kirk. When they cut back to him, it seemed as though Kirk had already been talking, but whatever he said prior to the cut was removed. His final commentary about the run was, "[Jennifer] made it all the way to the Secret Password. [Nicholas'] heart is beating like a rabbit." Considering Kirk said the run ended in the Secret Password, my belief is that Jennifer was actually caught by a guard in the Secret Password, but instead of including it for whatever reason (perhaps she attacked the guard with her fury? :P ), the editors decided to edit the run to have time "expire" right before she got into that room. They also would have then cut out Kirk's commentary about how she got caught, which would have been easy to do in editing.

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:46 PM »
I still think the third guard was in the Ledges, ala Pirate Captain. But good point on the Room of the Secret Password potentially holding the final guard. Also, I never thought of the editing when time ran out before. I know that even after time ran out, Jennifer still entered the Room of the Secret Password and kept on going. Maybe she did run into a temple guard with like 5-10 seconds left on the clock, but figured since time as up anyways, they'd just count it as a regular loss. And edit it as such. Though the timer still ticked away at a normal pace, edit or not.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 17, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
I still think the third guard was in the Ledges, ala Pirate Captain. But good point on the Room of the Secret Password potentially holding the final guard. Also, I never thought of the editing when time ran out before. I know that even after time ran out, Jennifer still entered the Room of the Secret Password and kept on going. Maybe she did run into a temple guard with like 5-10 seconds left on the clock, but figured since time as up anyways, they'd just count it as a regular loss. And edit it as such. Though the timer still ticked away at a normal pace, edit or not.

I didn't check to see if the timer in the "Melted Head" run stayed in real time, but it's good to know that it was at a normal pace. Even with that information, it still seems odd to me how the ending of the run and editing of the ending played out.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 17, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
I say the last guard in the "Madame Tussaud" run was indeed in the Ledges. It would've made the temple guard layout very similar to the Pirate Captain one. Except in Madame Tussaud, the Orange Iguanas actually had a chance to go up into the King's Storeroom. And since the top of the central shaft opened for the Orange Iguanas, it wouldn't be too hard to believe if the Secret Password opened either. Since if they started at the top of the central shaft, then their path would've been much shorter. But I still think the last guard was in the Ledges.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »

I didn't check to see if the timer in the "Melted Head" run stayed in real time, but it's good to know that it was at a normal pace. Even with that information, it still seems odd to me how the ending of the run and editing of the ending played out.
Well, I don't have any real proof that the timer kept going normally. But I'm pretty sure it did, from what I remember about the run. But even then, the third guard still could've been in the Ledges. Like it was (possibly) in the Pirate Captain run.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
We will now turn our attention to "Pearl Necklace of Gwalior."

Guards Encountered: Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Shrine of the Silver Monkey
Rooms not Entered: Ledges, Tomb of the Headless Kings, Jesters' Court, Dark Forest, ** Ancient Warriors

Notes: Everyone agreed that the final guard was in the Ledges because it was the only unentered room that the team had access to during the run.

My Thoughts: While the Ledges were an unentered room, the team did not try all of the headdresses in the Ancient Warriors, so there could have been a guard behind one of them.

-- The only door to open from the Pit was the King's Storeroom, and we know that the Tomb of the Headless Kings did not open from the Chamber, nor did the Dark Forest from the Shrine. For that reason, we can eliminate all of the bottom floor rooms from consideration. That only leaves the Ledges and Ancient Warriors.

-- The Ledges were well-lit during the whole temple run segment. While there are other episodes with the same lighting that probably featured a guard in the Ledges, I think there is a stronger argument as to why the Ancient Warriors makes a better place to house the final guard for this run.

-- Ryan only tried the middle armor in the Ancient Warriors. He never got inside either the first or third armors. In the episodes where a guard was placed in an inactive headdress, they were always stationed in the one nearest the door from which the contestant entered. In the case of "Gwalior," that would be the first headdress.

-- If you look at the guard placements for the rest of the "Gwalior" production day, you will find that the guards were generally clustered near each other within the inner temple:
  • Bullet-Riddled Handbag: Tomb of the Headless Kings, Dark Forest, Quicksand Bog
  • Lost Whale Bone: Tomb of the Headless Kings, Shrine, perhaps the Ancient Warriors or Ledges
  • Dried Ear of Corn: Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Ancient Warriors, Dark Forest
Since the guards during the rest of this production day were focused more within the inner temple than the entrance rooms, it would make sense for the final guard in "Gwalior" to be in the Ancient Warriors rather than the Ledges. Not only would the Ancient Warriors have put all of the guards in the inner temple, it would have also created a cluster of guards one after the other. Even though back to back to back guards were rare, the Ancient Warriors guard would have been avoidable. In addition, the team had 2 pendants, so encountering all three guards could not have created a triple capture situation. It is worth mentioning the teams in the other episodes in which a guard was placed in an inactive headdress in the Ancient Warriors had 1.5 pendants (Chandragupta) and 2 pendants (Ivan the Terrible).

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »
Here is a few notes about that production day also since we are about to talk to them.

- All of the temple runs that day did not allow a chance at a solo victory.

- All the paths during that production day were linear. Besides the "Belle Boyd" run, the other three teams were only given one choice from the Pit of the Pendulum.

- At least 2/4 episodes had three guards that were unavoidable (Belle Boyd and Sojourner Truth).

- The temple guards also seemed to be clustered close to each other as PP4L mentions.

- On an unrelated note, both Pytheas and Belle Boyd finished the temple games with a 2-1.5 score.  :o

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
Next up is "Bullet-Riddled Handbag of Belle Boyd."

Guards Encountered: Tomb of the Headless Kings, Dark Forest (right tree), Quicksand Bog
Number of Unencountered Guards: 0

All of the guards were encountered during the run.

I'd like to point out that the Dark Forest guard was avoidable. The temple spirit that captured Leah was in the right tree, which was not blocking the stone wall. When Matthew tried to find the key, he looked in both trees but did not find it in either tree. For that reason, the Dark Forest guard was avoidable, but the Quicksand Bog was forced. Image courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf.

And although this is not dealing with temple guard placement, I would like to say that I think this was one of the greatest teams to enter the temple. They flew through the temple, as difficult of a layout as it was. The only "mistakes" that occurred during this run were that Leah chose to go into the King's Storeroom when the Chamber of the Sacred Markers opened directly from the Pit, and that Matthew failed to try the door from the Quicksand Bog to the Shrine. An image is provided below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf. Even with those choices, this team still finished two rooms away from the Ancient Warriors. I'm not sure if bypassing the King's Storeroom would have given the team enough time to complete the Silver Monkey, but regardless, I still really think this was one of the strongest and fastest teams to enter the temple. Leah completed 7 rooms in 2:00, and Matthew followed up the whole path in 30 seconds. That's very impressive in my opinion.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2013, 03:33:09 PM »
- On an unrelated note, both Pytheas and Belle Boyd finished the temple games with a 2-1.5 score.  :o
And Gwalior.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »
Up now is "Lost Whale Bone of Pytheas."

Guards Encountered: Tomb of the Headless Kings, Shrine of the Silver Monkey
Rooms not Entered: Ledges, Secret Password, King's Storeroom, **Dark Forest, **Ancient Warriors

Notes: Everybody seemed to believe the last guard had to be in the Ledges for this run.

My Thoughts: The temple guard placements from the rest of the "Pytheas" day suggest to me that the final guard was somewhere within the inner temple, rather than in an entrance room.

-- The Secret Password only ever held a guard when the team entered from the Shrine. Since Brittany and Damien would have entered the Secret Password via the Quicksand Bog, I don't think there would have been a guard there.

-- This run's path mimicked those of "Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag" and "Mussel Shell Armor." For that reason, I believe the Ancient Warriors would have led straight into the Chamber of the Sacred Markers, rather than up to the King's Storeroom. For that reason, I am eliminating the King's Storeroom from consideration.

-- There could have been a guard behind the first armor in the Ancient Warriors. Damien never got a chance to try that final headdress. Having a guard in the correct headdress during a Chamber of the Sacred Markers run was seen in the "Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag" run, so it would not be out of the question to have the same thing happen in "Pytheas."

-- Brittany never tried either tree in the Dark Forest. If there really was a temple spirit in one of the trees, then the path and temple guard placement would have exactly mirrored those of "Mussel Shell Armor." In addition, there were guards in the Dark Forest in both the run immediately prior and the run directly after the "Pytheas" run.

-- The Ledges were pretty well-lit. The only choice this team had in their path was in which entrance room to take, and it was common in Center of the Rooms runs for the avoidable guard to be in the "wrong" entrance room. Still, I don't think the final guard was in the Ledges because of the temple guard pattern from the rest of the day, as well as the strong correlations of path and guard placement with the "Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag" and "Mussel Shell Armor" runs.

In summary, I think that the first armor in the Ancient Warriors and the Dark Forest are the two strongest candidates to hold the final guard. Because of the temple guard placements from the surrounding episodes and the strong correlations with the other clockwise Chamber of the Sacred Markers runs, I would say it is most likely that the Dark Forest held the final guard.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:42 AM »
We continue along with "Dried Ear of Corn of Sojourner Truth."

Guards Encountered: Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Ancient Warriors (armor 2), Dark Forest (left tree)
Number of Unencountered Guards: 0

All of the guards were encountered during this run, so there should be no question as to where they were. It is interesting to note that all of the guards in this run were forced, since the guard in the Ancient Warriors was in the correct headdress and the tree that held the key also held the guard.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2013, 02:54:36 PM »
If the last temple guard in the Pytheas run was in the Dark Forest tree, would it be in the left or right side tree? Because in the "Apanuugpak" temple run, Amanda encountered her temple spirit in the tree close to the breakable wall. But the temple spirit didn't have his limb blocking the wall in that run. So could the temple spirit be in the same tree in Pytheas? I never really considered the Dark Forest as a possibility, but it makes sense now since neither Damian or Brittany tried either tree.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
If the last temple guard in the Pytheas run was in the Dark Forest tree, would it be in the left or right side tree? Because in the "Apanuugpak" temple run, Amanda encountered her temple spirit in the tree close to the breakable wall. But the temple spirit didn't have his limb blocking the wall in that run. So could the temple spirit be in the same tree in Pytheas? I never really considered the Dark Forest as a possibility, but it makes sense now since neither Damian or Brittany tried either tree.

There is better evidence to support the idea that the guard was in the right tree for the "Pytheas" run. Below are some things I considered:

1. The guard in "Apanuugpak" was in the left tree. "Pytheas" and "Apanuugpak" had identical paths and identical temple guard locations for the other two guards. It is possible that the guard placement in the Dark Forest was also identical.

2. The episode directly after "Pytheas" was "Sojourner Truth." That run also featured a guard in the left tree. However, that team was moving counterclockwise, from the Dark Forest to the Jesters' Court. In order to progress, the team was forced to find the key in the tree, and it was in the left tree, which also held the guard. Therefore, that guard was forced.

3. The episode directly before "Pytheas" was "Belle Boyd." That run featured a guard in the right tree. Like "Pytheas," this was a clockwise run; the team had the chance to avoid the Dark Forest trees altogether and go directly into the Quicksand Bog. Unlike Brittany from "Pytheas," Leah tried to find the key in the tree, and ended up getting captured by an avoidable guard in the right tree. Later, when Matthew entered the room, he was unable to find a key in either tree, and was forced into the Quicksand Bog. Therefore, the Dark Forest guard was completely avoidable in "Belle Boyd." It is likely that a similar scenario could have played out in the "Pytheas" run.

4. As Brittany entered the Dark Forest during the "Pytheas" run, the camera momentarily stalled on the right tree. Even as Brittany went to plow through the stone wall, the camera delayed on the right tree before following Brittany into the Quicksand Bog. That camerawork suggests there was something important about that right tree. The only thing that comes to mind that may have been significant is a guard being there.

I believe points 3 and 4 are stronger than points 1 and 2. For that reason, I think it is more likely that the last guard in "Pytheas" was in the right tree in the Dark Forest.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 22, 2013, 08:50:18 AM »
We have finally arrived at the last production day of Season 3! First up is "Jeweled Scabbard of Sforza."

Guards Encountered: Crypt, Chamber of the Sacred Markers
Rooms not Entered: Shrine, Secret Password, Quicksand Bog, Dark Forest, Jesters' Court, Ledges

Notes: Everyone thought that the final production day featured very gimmicky paths and temple guard placements. They placed the last guard in the Ledges.

My Thoughts: The Jesters' Court did not open from the Tomb of the Headless Kings, so that entire side of the temple was inaccessible during this run. The only room Lacey and Asher were given access to but did not enter was the Ledges, so the final guard had to be there.

-- The Ledges were also darkened, similarly to how they were in "Dried Apple Half of William Tell," et al. That further strengthens the idea that the Ledges held the final guard.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
Next up is "Good-Luck Watch of Empress Eugenie."

Guards Encountered: King's Storeroom, Shrine
Rooms not Entered: Chamber of the Sacred Markers, Secret Password, Quicksand Bog, Ledges, **Dark Forest, **Ancient Warriors

Notes: Everyone seemed to think that the Ledges held the final guard.

My Thoughts: I agree that the Ledges should have held the final guard. The room was darkened in the same manner as in "Dried Apple Half," et al. An image is provided below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf.

-- Only the King's Storeroom opened from the Pit, and only the Dark Forest opened from the Shrine. Therefore, the Chamber, Secret Password, and Quicksand Bog could not have held guards. Images are provided below, courtesy video posted on youtube.com by ChargerTheWolf.

-- The key was in the right tree in the Dark Forest, so I don't see a reason why a guard would have been placed in the other Dark Forest tree. Likewise, I don't think one of the alternate headdresses would have held a guard in the Ancient Warriors. Even though Janeen only tried the middle armor and one of the other armors could have potentially held the final guard, I don't believe it would have been likely to place guards in back-to-back-to-back rooms; if I remember correctly, that temple guard combination was not seen at all in Season 3. It seems more likely that the Ledges held the final guard due to the lighting in that room.