Author Topic: Artifacts Located in the "Center of the Rooms"  (Read 1291 times)

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts Located in the "Center of the Rooms"
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
If Monica did not start in the Ledges, she would not have been taken out of the temple until the Dark Forest... four rooms later. I'm not sure if that would have lent itself to bettering the team's ability to reach the Ivory Elephant. Between Monica's initial entrance and Brad's follow-up, they spent 45 seconds in the Ledges. Monica most definitely spent a long time assembling the puzzle in the Observatory, but I wouldn't say that Brad took excessively long following Monica's path, nor do I feel that he took too long in the King's Storeroom. Brad missed the door from the Shrine to the Dark Forest, which cost the team another 18 seconds.

I think it was necessary for Monica to be taken out in the King's Storeroom for this team to have a chance to win. Still, the team spent a total of 1:03 in unnecessary rooms. This time very easily could have been spent clearing the Swamp and the Laser Light Room. Had this team used all of the available shortcuts, this team would have been in better shape to make it to the artifact, but I still think their chances were slim. However, I agree that exiting through the Troubled Bridge would have been quicker than through the Ledges.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
PP319, there is no doubt in my mind that Monica and Brad would most likely reach the Ivory Elephant if it wasn't for those mistakes made. Both of them made it pretty far taking into account the mistakes they made. The biggest mistake was the detour to the Ledges on both contestants parts. Monica was a little too sluggish IMO, as evident on how long she took in the Ledges and Observatory. If Brad went in first, headed straight to the Crypt, and took the Shrine-Dark Forest passage, then he would've been taken out in the Dark Forest. Then that would've meant that Monica would've only had to complete the Dark Forest, Swamp, and Laser Light Room objectives - which were pretty simple. This is the only way I think the Barracudas would have a chance of winning.

And yeah, going out via the Troubled Bridge would've been easier and a little more efficient. But both routes had their positives and negatives.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 10:59:49 PM »
In most of the "Center of the Room" runs, two of the guards were located past the Pit, and the third "avoidable" guard was in the "incorrect" entrance room. It seemed that in order for the teams to win in these layouts, they were forced to encounter the entrance room guard and have the frontrunner get taken out earlier in the run. Otherwise, the frontrunners would spend a long time in the temple, and time would expire on the second runner en route to where their partner left off... just like what happened in "Helmet of Joan of Arc" and "Ponce de Leon and the Lost Fountain of Youth."

This is why I believe it was necessary for Monica from "Ivory Elephant" to encounter the guard in the Ledges (like she did) in order to give this team any chance of winning. Otherwise, she wouldn't have gotten taken out until the Dark Forest, and quite frankly, I think she would have wasted more time in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey and possibly the Mineshaft elevator than she did in the Ledges. Still, had she had more hustle in the Ledges and Observatory, and if Brad didn't detour to the Mineshaft, this run would have been more successful.

And aside from "Ivory Elephant of Scheherazade," were there any "Center of the Rooms" runs that featured the team enter through the "wrong" entrance room and encounter the first guard there?

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 01:11:24 AM »
Yeah, a lot of the center of the temple runs were set up where two guards had to be at least be encountered. And often times, those temple guard encounters are on opposite floors. Look at the temple guard placement for both "Mata Hari", "Annie Oakley" and "Lost Fountain of Youth" - the only way they would've won was by encountering all three guards. And I agree, the best bet for the Blue Barracudas in "Scheherezade" was to encounter that Ledges guard. It's too bad though that those kids got robbed due the unfair temple guard layout.

And I do believe that the "Joan of Arc" team also encountered a guard in the deadend entrance room similar to the "Scheherezade" team. In their case, they encountered a guard in the Gargoyle Room which forced them into the Cave. Which might've not been a bad thing because I think the last guard was in the Treasure Room.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
I'd like to focus our discussion on "Lost Whale Bone of Pytheas" for a moment. We've already discussed how this team seemed slow but still made it to the room prior to the artifact. I went back and watched the run again, and it really surprised me. It seemed as though this team did have a chance at scoring another "Center of the Rooms" victory.

Brittany made it to her seventh room in 1:40, which was very impressive. She may not have seemed to be going as fast as, say, Travis from "Discarded Seal," but she knew exactly what she was doing in every room and had just about the same clearing time on average in the rooms. Not once did she hesitate or stop moving in the temple.

I feel that the reason this team did not reach the Whale Bone was because Damien moved so slowly. He had 1:20 to reach the Shrine of the Silver Monkey, finish assembling the statue (Brittany already put the base on), and clear the Room of the Ancient Warriors. That doesn't seem like too much to handle given the amount of time, but he seemed to struggle. By the time he even got to the Shrine, he had used up 0:55. He tried running himself into the Wall in the Dark Forest, and it took him a few tries to get around the ladder in the Quicksand Bog. He also seemed a bit lethargic by the time he got to the Room of the Ancient Warriors; I don't know if that was due to him being out of breath from tracing Brittany's path or if there was a different reason. In any case, I feel that if Damien had moved a bit more quickly, this run could have been another successful "Center of the Rooms" victory.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Yeah, I never really thought of Brittany being the reason they lost. She did move kind of slow, but she knew what she was doing. She didn't waste time trying to complete room objectives or anything. Plus, she clearing a path all the way to the Shrine in 1:40 is pretty decent and more than enough time for Damien to reach the Lost Whalebone and bring it out of the temple. She even managed to get the base of the Silver Monkey down before being taken out.

Damien was just so painfully slow. He is the real reason why they lost. From the starting point to the Shrine, he moved sooooo slow. But like Brittany, he was just slow and not clueless or anything. He even assembled the monkey in nine seconds (granted, the base was already placed on by Brittany.) But at the end of the day, this run was pretty decent not even a disaster people make it out to be. I can tolerate it more than other season three center of the temple runs like "Hans Holbein", "Robert the Bruce", and definitely better than "Xerxes".  :oops:

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
I don't see how "Hans Holbein" is a bad temple run at all. So Keith and Rachel moved slow, but that layout was hard. It's not like they were clueless or anything. Even if they did speed up, they still wouldn't have won. I think it's a pretty decent temple run, and it's just as tolerable as Pytheas is.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
I don't think "Hans Holbein" is a bad temple run either. Both that one and "Pytheas" are about even when it comes to temple run quality. Except the "Hans Holbein" team had the tougher layout by far. But one thing that irritates me about Hans Holbein is Rachel's voice. She was nowhere near as bad as Dana or Lauren, but her voice just sounded so irritating when she was cheering for Keith. But sometimes people make "Pytheas" out to be worst than it really is. Its not like either run is exciting, and both are miles better than "Xerxes". :P

And I wonder what the producers were thinking for the "Hans Holbein" layout. Did they really expect any team to win?  :roll:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »
I always thought Rachel's voice in "Hans Holbein" was just a bad voiceover. Same thing happened in the "Golden Spider Web" temple run.

Speaking of the latter, "Golden Spider Web" and "Hans Holbein" were on par with each other as well. Both frontrunners used both entry rooms, both got captured in the Room of the Ancient Warriors, and both teams had to go counterclockwise to reach the artifact. And both artifacts were in the center of the room no less. I don't know if this was already mentioned, but while we're on the subject of both aforementioned runs, I thought I might mention it.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
Speaking of the latter, "Golden Spider Web" and "Hans Holbein" were on par with each other as well. Both frontrunners used both entry rooms, both got captured in the Room of the Ancient Warriors, and both teams had to go counterclockwise to reach the artifact. And both artifacts were in the center of the room no less. I don't know if this was already mentioned, but while we're on the subject of both aforementioned runs, I thought I might mention it.

I don't think those two rooms were compared, but that's a really good point. The runs were very similar in their counterclockwise layouts with both entrance rooms being entered and (general) temple guard placements. The biggest difference was that the "Robert the Bruce" team had less than two pendants and the run ended prematurely due to an encounter with the third guard with less than a full pendant. While the "Hans Holbein" team ran out of time, the "Robert the Bruce" team still had 30 seconds left on the clock when the run ended. That being said, I doubt that the "Robert the Bruce" team would have made it all the way to the Chamber of the Sacred Markers with the remaining time.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
Yeah, the Golden Spider Web kids for sure wouldn't have made it to the Chamber. Even if Jeremy did have a full pendant, the furthest he'd get to is the Jesters' Court at best. I know the Hans Holbein kids run ended in the Dark Forest, but still.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
Out of all of the center of the temple losses, this is how I feel they should've turned out:

Joan of Arc - They really should've won. This one was all on Mandy for being slow and taking the long way. But still, they made it far by taking the long route. If Mandy went in first and Eddie second, then this would've been a win.

Lost Fountain of Youth - Eh, I am not sure if the Green Monkeys would've won. First off, they would've had to encounter all three guards for a chance of winning. Secondly, neither player was too bright and taking the long way didn't help either.

Mata Hari - The temple guard layout was brutal. But they were both two slow and the second runner seemed clueless. They wouldn't have won either way.

Ivory Elephant - Monica was slow and took longer than rooms than she really should have taken. Brad didn't help by taking the Mine Shaft elevator and starting in the Ledges.

Annie Oakley - They should've definitely won, but the one room away guard and Chandra taking the elevator killed any chances of them winning.

Henry Morgan - They would've had a solo victory if Ashley didn't put the key back into the Dark Forest tree or Matt went into the Room of the Mandarin Hand directly. Still an exciting loss.

William the Conqueror - They would've won if Olivia didn't waste time climbing up the wall when the bottom door was the only one open.

Xerxes - This layout was brutal, so I don't see any team really winning. But Pat and Noelle were deplorable contestants anyways, so they had no chance.

Robert the Bruce - Another brutal layout where no team had a chance to win. Both players were average speed anyways, so I don't see victory.

Hans Holbein - Same as above, except it didn't end in triple capture. Layout was too much of a bitch.

Pytheas - Brittany was kind of slow and Damien was even slower. Another team who didn't have much chances of winning.

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Shem, not Matt ;)

And I also disagree with why the Battle Flag kids lost: I think it was because of the time Jonathan wasted in the Room of the Ancient Warriors. The first suit of armor he tried opened the door to the Chamber, but he then tried the other two suits, which only left him enough time to grab the flag.

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

If Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have been ruining the music industry since 2008, please copy and paste this into your signature for everyone to see.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:36 PM »
And I also disagree with why the Battle Flag kids lost: I think it was because of the time Jonathan wasted in the Room of the Ancient Warriors. The first suit of armor he tried opened the door to the Chamber, but he then tried the other two suits, which only left him enough time to grab the flag.

While Jonathan's delay in the Room of the Ancient Warriors didn't help their cause, I think both of these points impacted the outcome of the run. He spent 12 seconds in that room after his release from the middle armor's guard. Here is a breakdown of the time he spent in the Room of the Ancient Warriors:

0:33- entered Room of the Ancient Warriors
0:28- captured by guard in middle armor
0:20- released from middle armor
0:15- tried far-right armor
0:11- tried far-left armor
0:08- entered Chamber of the Sacred Markers

Olivia could have saved around 15 seconds by immediately jumping down into the Pit and heading straight to the Tomb of the Headless Kings. Here is a breakdown of the time Olivia spent in the Pit:

2:44- knocked over column
2:33- jumped off swing
2:27- got up the face of the wall
2:23- entered Tomb of the Headless Kings

Overall, this team used an extra 27 seconds in those two rooms. Olivia's delay was slightly longer, and in my opinion, was the costlier misstep. In Jonathan's defense, the door to the Chamber of the Sacred Markers from the Room of the Ancient Warriors was partially blocked by the first headdress, so it may not have been easily seen that the door opened after Jonathan tried the first armor. The door to the Tomb of the Headless Kings, on the other hand, was more obvious in its unobstructed view. It would have been clearer that that door was in an open state. I believe that the 15 seconds Olivia used in the Pit could have been used to achieve a very close victory.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 12:51:21 AM »
Oh yeah, I can't believe that I forgot that Jonathan was partly to blame for the "William the Conqueror" lost. He did waste unnecessary time himself in the Room of the Ancient Warriors. That could've been enough time for a very close finish. But still, aside from those two mistakes, both Olivia and Jonathan were great and just simply reaching the artifact was an accomplishment. Would've been nice to have three center of the temple wins, but it was still a great attempt nevertheless. :P

Actually, any of the central column runs were tricky in general. Its mostly because the paths for those runs were more long and filled with more tricky temple guard layouts. After all, there weren't many wins in the central column - Ahmed Baba, Freydis, Buddha, Annie Taylor, and Apanuugpak were the only wins that came to mind. The hardest ones were no doubt the bottom of the central shaft runs. The teams simply did not have enough time to bring them out by the time they reached that room. I really think though that the "Tokugawa Ieyasu" team would've won if the Dark Forest-Shrine passage open. Also, "Empress Eugenie" should've been a win - after all the producers set it up so it could be winnable. The door to the Quicksand Bog or Secret Password does not even open!