Author Topic: Red Sash of Tokugawa Ieyasu Run  (Read 166 times)

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
Red Sash of Tokugawa Ieyasu Run
« on: November 09, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »
I just watched this run again, and it seemed extremely odd. There were a lot of aspects to the run that seemed out of place or strange.

To start, I want to focus on the King's Storeroom. The guard in the King's Storeroom appeared rather late, after Brandy already smashed two pots (Frame 1). And what's even more interesting is that as soon as the guard left the camera shot, Quentin from below can be seen running into the temple at 2:18 (Frame 2). But that was only Brandy's first guard...

The Shrine of the Silver Monkey/Secret Password/Quicksand Bog doors also seemed unusual. The door from the Shrine of the Silver Monkey was already open to the Room of the Secret Password when Brandy entered the Shrine (Frame 5), but rather than going straight for that room, she decided to assemble the statue. Then, the door to the Quicksand Bog opened (as evidence by Frame 4), and she even started to go for that room (Frame 6). I don't know what made her change course and head to the Room of the Secret Password after all that, but Brandy went into the Secret Password and was captured by the second guard (Frame 3). It is odd how that guard was also a bit delayed, coming out from the door after Brandy already said the first password; in other episodes with a guard in the Secret Password ("Thornwood Gavel" and "War Fan," for example), the guard came out immediately after the contestant entered the room.

After Brandy got taken out of the temple, Quentin ran in to clean it up. When the camera cut to Quentin running into the temple, the lighting on Olmec was down and his eyes were black (Frame 7). But as Quentin ran behind Olmec and Olmec was just barely within the camera's panning view, his eyes lit up red (Frame 8 )! That was unexpected! (Not to mention that Quentin's running into the temple looked a lot like his running from the King's Storeroom shot...)

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Red Sash of Tokugawa Ieyasu Run
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
Yeah, that was a pretty odd run. From Quentin's running in too early to all the doors opening. Methinks Brandy avoided entering the Quicksand Bog because she saw the guard in there and didn't want to get caught. Though she eventually got taken out in the Room of the Secret Password anyways. Not sure about Olmec's eye being lit though. Maybe it was just some glitch?

Interesting note about Quentin's running too. Though he was probably running the same way in both his early and actual entrance. Plus, in the running too early shot, Brandy is still in the camera frame.

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:24:59 PM »
But even if Brandy saw the guard in the Quicksand Bog, she would have had to have entered that room at some point. If the guard didn't take her out in the Room of the Secret Password, the only path that would have led her out of that room would have been down the slide to the Quicksand Bog, where she would have been taken out. Going straight to the Quicksand Bog would have saved some time and given Quentin some extra time to enter the temple and grab the Sash.

I feel that Quentin was a polar player. He was a rather slow retracing Brandy's steps to the Room of the Secret Password and also dawdled around in that room. But once he made it to the lower floor, he cleared all of the rooms incredibly quickly and efficiently. It was almost like there were two different Quentins running on each floor.

And of course, Brandy is still in the camera frame in the Frame 2 King's Storeroom photo; she only encountered her first guard at that point. She wasn't actually taken out of the temple for another minute, in the Room of the Secret Password.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »
It truly was an unusual run with a few quirks. I am not sure why the Shrine/Secret Password door was open either. My guess was that the layout was too lengthy so they kind of helped the team out by eliminating the need to assemble the Silver Monkey. If the player chose to assemble the monkey, then they will be granted a more "shorter route" - in this case being the Quicksand Bog. I mean the Room of the Secret Password door to the Quicksand Bog was already open in "Frederick Douglass". I am not saying this is the reason why it was open for the "Tokugawa Ieyasu" run. Its just my take on it.