Author Topic: Legends Episode Ranking System - COMPLETE  (Read 41068 times)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Episode Ranking System
« Reply #675 on: February 10, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
I sent you a copy of the Polynesian Girl review. ;) The episode has gotten some good rankings so far, so I think we will see a good score from it. Even though it was not a win, it was still a pretty good way to close Season 2. And it is a nice change of pace from Silk Sash, Dried Apple Half, and Robert the Bruce too.  ;)

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 10, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »
Alright, and my parts have been sent. With Priceless Portrait done, that's another production day of rankings finished. ;)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:46 PM »
Time for a new episode to be posted, and this time it is Jim and Kristen from Polynesian Girl.  :mrsilver: This was a great episode and a huge step up from the last 6 or so episodes we reviewed. And with this episode done, we only need 8 more episodes. :mrsilver:

THE PRICELESS PORTRAIT OF THE POLYNESIAN GIRL

MOAT: 7.5/10

The moat crossing reused an earlier challenge that was used on the Enormous Iron Nose Ring/Ivory Elephant production day. The objective for this moat crossing was very simple. The first player had to jump out into the moat and grab the moat. Once they were there, they had to use the rope to swing across to reach the other side. Once they were done, they had to throw the rope to their partner and they had to cross the same way. If the player falls into the water while swinging across, then they must start over. The first four teams that make it across will get a chance to go onto the Steps of Knowledge. Despite how easy this moat looked, it was as simple in action. Mostly because it was easy for the players to fall into the water. Despite that, this moat was decent and it took little time to complete. The Purple Parrots were the first team, but the last 3 teams all clocked in around the same time. I do wish they kind of used a different moat crossing for this production day, but I can't complain about it at all.

LEGEND: 6/10

(Credits to "Purple Parrots Fan" for her contribution to this section)

This legend centered around Paul Gaugin, who was a successful French Broker and bored with life. One day, Gaugin discovered Impressionism, which was a new style of painting. Gaugin was so amazed by it he quit his broker job altogether, and started to paint full time. He even painted locals too, including a Polynesian girl who posed for him. Gaugin gave the girl the painting, which stayed in her family for a number of generations. Eventually, the painting ended up in the temple. This was a very interesting legend to say the least, but it's not exactly the most detailed. I mean, we get a glimpse of what Paul Gaugin's life was like, but very little background is given of the Polynesian Girl in question. Just some girl who posed for Gaugin, and she kept the painting, AND she posed nude. End of story. You would think that if the artifact is named after the girl, the legend would talk more about her, but it didn't. Still a very intriguing legend nonetheless, and if it wasn't for that minor aforementioned flaw, this legend definitely would've ranked a lot higher.

STEPS OF KNOWLEDGE: 7/10

The Steps of Knowledge were a decent round. The Silver Snakes and the Purple Parrots were both very smart on the steps, and made their way down to the final step in no time. The Orange Iguanas got at least once question right, and the Blue Barracudas got none correct. And one of their incorrect answers prompted a priceless (pun intended!) "WTF?!" look from the Blue Barracuda boy's partner. Besides the wrong answers given by the Blue Barracudas, I have no complaints with this round.

TEMPLE GAMES: 8/10

The temple games featured a match-up between two teams that failed to make it to this round in an earlier episode. Chris and Janet were the Blue Barracudas that were disqualified in the moat for "Emiliano Zapata", and Jim and Kristen were the Silver Snakes who never made it past the Steps of Knowledge in "Empress Theodora". The Silver Snakes featured Jim, who wanted to be a mechanic and fix things, and his partner Kristen liked art and wanted to be a painter when she was older. The Purple Parrots featured Chris, who wanted to be a baseball player, and Janet, who was struck by lightning when she was little and was also born in England. The temple games overall were very exciting and used a very unique set of temple games. The second temple game was very unique and creative, while the other two temple games were borrowed from "The Missing Eye of David". The close competition, unique temple games, and the memorable contestant interviews make this round very enjoyable to watch. Also, these temple games were right up Kristen's alley too. :P

In the first temple game, Jim and Chris had to collect pictures of Olmec's face from the ceiling and place it inside their bin. The player with the most pieces of Olmec after 60 seconds will win. Both Jim and Chris were very close in this temple game, but Chris beat Jim by mere inches before by grabbing the last piece. The Purple Parrots lead 1-0. In the second temple game, Kristen and Janet had to take their boat to Tahiti and create a painting using their hands. To do this, they had to pull their boat across the water to one side and place both hands into the paint to make a painting. Once they were done, they had to go back to the other side and bring their painting back. The players could not touch the water at anytime or else they will have to start over. The first player to bring their painting back after 60 seconds will win. In the end, Kristen barely beat Janet and got her painting back to Kirk first. Both teams enter the final temple game with a 0.5-0.5 score. In the final temple game, each team had to use different colored balls to create a certain color. For the Purple Parrots, they had to create the color green. And for the Silver Snakes, they had to make the color purple. They must place the correct balls into the bucket in order to count. The player who puts the most correct colors into their buckets will win. The Silver Snakes were successful in this game and win it on another close score. With 1.5 Pendants, the Plumber and Artist entered Olmec's temple for the final Season 2 episode.  :mrsilver:

TEMPLE RUN: 8/10

Kristen and Jim were the first team to ever reach the an artifact from the bottom of the central shaft. That's right, it literally took until the end of Season 2 for this feat to happen. Even though they should be proud of their accomplishment, this episode really should've been a win. Jim chose to go into the temple first, and he met a temple guard right away in the Crypt. After swinging across the Pit and opening the Room of the Mandarin Hand, he was removed from the temple in no time. Kristen follows his path up until the Room of the Mandarin Hand. For some reason, she retreats back to the Pit of Despair and shrugs her shoulders at the camera before finding the half-pendant and heading up into the Observatory. Good thing she found the half-pendant, because the last guard was in the Observatory. After being molested by the guard, she slowly makes her way into the King's Storeroom. :lol: After shrugging at the camera AGAIN, she completes the room objective and heads into the Shrine. Just like all of the rooms on the top floor, Kristen continues to spend a lot of time in assembling the Silver Monkey. When she finally assembles the Silver Monkey, she wisely takes the Dark Forest passage down to the Dark Forest. When she finally reaches the bottom floor, Kristen really picks up the speed. In the Jester's Court, she gets a lucky break and the first painting opens the door to the Laser Light Room. With 15 seconds left, Kristen makes a break for the gate before time ends in the Ledges. And what a coincidence, the person that talks about painting as her hobby was the one to grab the artifact. :P

Overall, this temple run was very exciting and memorable despite the loss. Jim and Kristen came very close to achieving victory from a bottom of the central shaft run. This team would've had more success if they reversed the order of players in the temple. But reaching a bottom of the central shaft artifact is impressive in my book, and this temple run ranks very high up on the list of best runs on the show. After all, some losses are better than some wins! :mrsilver:

FINAL VERDICT: 7.3/10

Overall, Priceless Portrait was a very exciting episode from beginning to end, and was a great way to close out Season 2. Jim and Kristen were a solid team all day, and almost won at the temple. If it had been reverse order of players, or if Kristen had moved faster, then this would've been a successful win, and a very legendary win at that. This episode, despite the lukewarm "7" ranking, had everything. Close moat, interesting legend, decent steps round, great temple games, and exciting temple run. You'd be missing a lot if you skipped over this episode. I definitely recommend this episode to anyone.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 10, 2014, 11:52:50 PM »
My thoughts:
Polynesian Girl is a pretty memorable episode and ended Season 2 on a positive note. The whole episode was enjoyable and entertaining. I agree with you about the legend. I mean the correct title should be "The Priceless Portrait of Paul Gaugin". But in the Hans Holbein episode, they titled it "The Missing Portrait of Hans Holbein" when the picture was actually of Henry VIII. And did the producers really have to use a picture of a topless girl? It is a little creepy and you can see where they censored it. The Steps of Knowledge had the "squeegee" answer with the WTF reaction. :lol: The temple games were fun. 2/3 of the temple games were used in "Missing Eye". Not that it is a bad thing, since both that episode and Polynesian Girl are paint-themed. Jim and Kristen were a good temple team, but Kristen is the one who blew it. She wasn't a bad player, but rather too hesitant. If she never wasted time in the Room of the Mandarin Hand, then she should've won. Or Jim the Mechanic should've gone in second. The ending is very exciting though and this whole episode is great.  :mrsilver: I am happy with the score for it and the ranking is no surprising. So that completes another production day too. Too bad this episode, Dolley Madison, and Icarus should've all been wins. But this episode has more of an excuse than the above two.

Next up is Blackfeet Chief, our final Purple Parrots episode. Not a very exciting episode, but it was not bad either. I can see it finishing in the 6-range.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 11, 2014, 01:06:34 AM »
Squeegee? Wrong, that was Hans Holbein. We just ranked this episode. ;) And yes, boring old Blackfeet Chief is next. It will probably rank in the 5 range honestly. Too forgettable. I mean, I guess it had the Purple beating Red thing going on. But that's it. Plus, Leah and Brandon just barely won at the moat because the Silver Snakes blew it and fell in the water. Should be sent to you sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: And I see you've included Priceless Portrait's filming day in the production day rankings. Ranked third, I knew it would rank high.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:20:35 AM by Purple Parrots Fan »

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 11, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
Yeah, the last day of Season 2 ranked well. And three of those episodes were losses. Imagine if all of those episodes were a win? Then this would've been the best production day on the show. Seriously though, Icarus and Dolley Madison should've been a win.

And I don't think Blackfeet Chief is going to rank that low. Almost none of the rounds except for maybe the moat will rank low. The temple games were pretty good at least. And at least Leah and Brandon reached their artifact too. It could've gone much worse like Montezuma or Cracked Crown where the slow runner that blows it. But if Leah moved faster and Brandon had a much better exit plan, then this would've been an easy win. And the first Purple Parrot win too.  :mrpurple:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 11, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »
Aren't you forgetting all the runs on the Benzibab filming day? ;) Which if I recall, if Good Luck Watch had been a win, THAT would've been the best production day ever. Same with Lucky Pillow's filming day had Electrified Key been a win. I don't know, best production day for Priceless Portrait's day is kind of stretching it. Even if those episodes DID rank over say 8.

And Leah and Brandon were just average. I mean, Leah was almost a slow as Kerry, minus the wrong turns. They also barely scraped by each round except for the temple games, and should've won in the temple. And honestly, even if they did win, it would've been another Billy the Kid type win. Where everyone calls this win "bad" and "overrated" because god forbid the players aren't speed demons. It would've been a forgettable win where the team only got by because of how easy the layout was, ala Dr. Livingstone and Cleopatra. Besides, King Tut's Cobra Staff could've been the first Purple Parrots win if Eusinia had any sort of idea what she was doing. But, that's off topic. I have just now sent you your part of the review. I left you the legend, steps, and final verdict section. Unless the Legend manages to rank high, all I'm seeing are average scores all around.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 11, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
Yeah, I think the Annie Taylor day would be the best if the Benjamin Franklin team won. Just think about it - first center of the temple AND bottom of the central shaft run back-to-back? And not to mention we have two more exciting wins with kick ass players too (Olivia-Emma and Ty). The last production day would probably rank high if Empress Eugenie was a win too. Although that whole production day was kind of a gift, not like the Atocha day. ;)

I sent you the Blackfeet Chief review too. Not a bad score it ended up with despite how utterly boring it was. I forgot how the legend was a little racist. Other than that, this was just an average episode that should've been a win.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 11, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »
And you don't have to wait any longer for a new review. Here's our next collaboration, being "The Bone Necklace of the Blackfeet Chief." :mrpurple:

THE BONE NECKLACE OF THE BLACKFEET CHIEF

MOAT: 5/10

For this moat, the players had to build a bridge on two parallel bars, by placing one board in front of them, and the other board in back of them. If they fell into the water, they both had to go back and start again. This round was lackluster, as none of the six teams were impressive at all. While this particular moat challenge does take a while, it was like all the players were taking too long to get across. Towards the end of the round, the Silver Snakes REALLY blew their load in the moat. The team was just about to secure the fourth and final spot, until the male Silver Snake contestant fell right into the water. And naturally, had to start all over again, giving an extremely lucky opening for the Purple Parrots, who ended up being the fourth team instead. Had it not been for the Silver Snakes choking, Leah and Brandon of the Purple Parrots never would've seen the light of day in Olmec's temple. At the end of the round, the Green Monkeys, Blue Barracudas, Red Jaguars, and Purple Parrots (a somewhat rare match up), ended up advancing to the Steps of Knowledge.

LEGEND: 7/10

(Credits to "The Red Jaguars" for his contribution to this section)

Two of the best explorers of the American West was Meriwhether Lewis and William Clark. In 1804, they left St. Louis with 50 men and set out to Oregon along the Missouri River. They mapped the terrain, studied the wild life, and endured many issues including hunger, flood, and wild animals. The real hero of Lewis and Clark's men was an African American man named York. One day, while Clark and his men were setting up camp, a group of Blackfeet Indians came into camp with their weapons drawn. The Blackfeet Chief walked up to York, but York did not even flinch. The chief had never seen a black man before, and thought York may have been a powerful wizard. Legend has it, the Blackfeet Chief gave York his Bone Necklace as an apology for disturbing him. This legend was interesting because it dealt with racism a little bit. Legends almost never talked about racism, but this legend is the closest it got to that topic. The legend itself was pretty interesting up until the Blackfeet Chief thought that York was a wizard. :roll: That bit was a bit too much in the legend. Overall, this legend was actually pretty interesting, but it came off a bit racist. Not on the same level as "Imperial Wizard", but it is borderline racist at least.

STEPS OF KNOWLEDGE: 7/10

The Steps of Knowledge came down to a three-way tie on the second to last step. First, the Purple Parrots reached the second to last step, then the Red Jaguars, and finally the Blue Barracudas. There was no bad answers given out at all either for this round, and some of the contestants even answered a few questions without Olmec revealing his choices. At one point, the Red Jaguar boy said a wrong answer, but corrected himself at the last second. This round was moderately exciting overall because you were left wondering what team would make it to the bottom. In the end, the Red Jaguars and Purple Parrots made it to the bottom in that order.

TEMPLE GAMES: 6/10

The temple games featured a unique set up of games, but the rest of the round was just average. In the first game, Leah and Holly had to take a mask, climb up the totem pole, and place the mask on the squares on top. This was a very rarely used game, having only used in three other episodes. Leah of the Purple Parrots ended up winning this game. In the second game, Brandon and Jay had to sail on a boat, plant a flag on an island, then turn around, and row their boats back to the starting point, without touching the ground. Jay had an early lead, but Brandon made a miraculous comeback towards the end. He got back to the starting point with 37 seconds left on the clock, earning his team another full pendant. The Purple Parrots now had a 1-0 lead against the Red Jaguars, going into the final game. In the third game, the teams had to shoot a ball at their partner, who would catch it, and place it on the walls. Both teams managed to get two balls up on the walls, earning them both the full pendant. But with the pendant score being 2-1, the Purple Parrots go to the temple with 2 pendants! It should also be noted that after Leah and Brandon won their temple games, Kirk refers to the titular artifact as "The Bone Necklace of Captain John Smith." He probably got this episode and "The Lost Love Letter of Captain John Smith," (also filmed the same day) confused. Oh Kirmple games. Furthermore, this is the only time the Purple Parrots beat the Red Jaguars in the temple games.

TEMPLE RUN: 6/10

This temple run was pretty average as far as losses go. The main problem with this temple run was: speed. Leah was a painfully slow runner in the temple. After walking up the stairs to the Crypt, she slowly makes her way across the bottom floor of the temple. Inside the Swamp, she wasted some time trying to choose whether to go up into the King's Storeroom or Dark Forest. She meets two consecutive temple guards, in both the Swamp and Dark Forest. The latter temple guard removes her from the temple with 1:30 left on the clock. Brandon goes in next, and he moves pretty slow himself. He manages to make it to where Leah left off, smartly uses the Forest/Shrine passage, and assembles the monkey is a respectable time. Brandon grabs the Bone Necklace with only a mere 12 seconds left on the clock. But he had a rather unorthodox way of exiting the temple. He goes into Medusa's Lair, and then climbs down into the Throne Room, where time runs out. If Leah and Brandon had moved a little faster, they would've had a much better chance at winning.

FINAL VERDICT: 6.2/10

"Bone Necklace" was one of the more forgettable Purple Parrots episodes on the show. Despite having very few episodes, this was one of the more forgettable appearances. Leah and Brandon were just an average team. First of all, Leah and Brandon almost didn't even make it past the moat. And they pretty much barely scraped by for most of the episode. The whole episode was average for the most part too. The highlights of this episode include the close Steps of Knowledge, the temple games where the Purple Parrots beat the Red Jaguars their only time, and Brandon's fast Silver Monkey assembly. There is really not a lot to say about this episode, except that it was just plain average, borderline filler. The Purple Parrots really should've won in the temple, but at the end of the day you won't have much success if you dilly dally around inside the maze. Despite the general uneventfullness in this episode, I would still recommend this episode to watch for anyone.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 11, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
I think a 6.2 is a perfect score for "Blackfeet Chief". The episode was pretty uneventful, but it had some redeeming value. Brandon and Leah did get lucky in the moat, but they also won a close Steps of Knowledge round and won 2 pendants in the temple games. I forgot about how the legend was a little racist. But not in a bad way, unlike "Imperial Wizard". The temple run should've been a win, but both players moved slow. At the same time, the temple run could've gone a lot worst too. At least the players knew what they were doing, unlike the teams in "Silk Sash" and "William Tell". This was probably the most forgettable Purple Parrots episode though. I think a 6.2 score is good enough.  :mrpurple:

For the last time ever, we don't have to update the production day rankings. We are also finish with the Silver Snakes and Purple Parrots episodes too.  I am going to make a separate page for team statistics too. We only have 7 episodes left too. ;) Next up is "Joan of Arc" - an episode I totally forgo has not been reviewed. I might have a snow day tomorrow, so I could knock it out fast. And it will be nice to rewatch I again too. It should rank around "Gordian Knot's" score since both episodes are pretty similar.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2014, 12:55:07 AM »
Yeah, I changed around some of your scores, like the Legend (ranked kind of low, racism or not), and the Steps (way too generous), but the results were still the same nonetheless. Sorry if you didn't like the change though. I'm kind of picky. You also forgot to mention that Leah looks like an exact spitting image of Noelle from Xerxes. ;) And they both shared the same speed sort of too. :o And yes, no updating the production day rankings for once. I like the sound of ranking the teams like you do the production days. Though didn't you already start rankings like this?

And yes, Joan of Arc is next. This episode was forgettable too, more so than Gordian Knot in my opinion.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 12, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
I had team rankings for the half-way point after I completed Lawrence of Arabia. Now I am going to make a bunch of stats for each of the teams when they are complete. I am also going to start working on my "Temple Room Rankings" for each episode where I get a raw average score for each episode by room. I already have a little bit completed now. ;) And Joan of Arc is definitely more forgettable than Gordian Knot. I don't remember any details from that episode, and there is nothing significant at all. It will probably be a brief review. :mrred:

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 12, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
I remember Joan of Arc being one of the first episodes I ever saw, back when Jon and/or Aaron uploaded it to their sites. And I remember Mandy and her near waist length hair. But yeah, nothing special  about the episode whatsoever. Should've been reverse order of players, like a lot of episodes should have. And if you do your other rankings, be sure to include them in the OP. ;)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 12, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
I've sent you a copy of the review for Joan of Arc. Some of the rounds that I have ranked so far got some good scores. I left the temple run, moat, and final verdict sections to be completed. It really was not that bad of an episode when I rewatched it either. The temple run would've been more successful if Mandy went in first though. But the Heart Room runs in Season 1 were always unfair anyways. After Joan of Arc is done, we only have one Season 1 episode left. (And one of the best ones of all  :mrblue: )

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 12, 2014, 11:13:08 PM »
Alright, I have sent my half to you. Naturally, the episode ranked in the average range, just like I knew it would. ;)

EDIT: View 5,000! :mrred:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:15:23 PM by Purple Parrots Fan »