Author Topic: Where were the temple guards?  (Read 5870 times)

Offline The Headless King

• E. Deity
  • I'M ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Where were the temple guards?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 01:40:14 AM »
Okay.  After collecting my information and then some extra time when the site was down, I'm ready to continue with Season 3.  A few notes before I begin though.

Season 3 improved on many things from the first two seasons for the temple runs.  One of them is that unlocked doors only opened through the forward path.  What I mean by this is that let's say that from the Pit of the Pendulum, the doors to the Chamber of the Sacred Markers and to the Tomb of the Headless Kings opens, but the Chamber would only force you down into the Tomb.  Completing the Tomb's objective won't open the upward path, just the door to the Jester's Court.

Another thing, and this is one of the main reasons why I love Season 3 the most, is that almost no rooms had a simple 'press the button' objective, even the Pit room!   This makes locating the temple guards much easier because in almost every room, ALL unlocked doors WILL open. (except for instances of the previous note, but it still helps A LOT)

Another thing with Season 3 is that it featured much fewer full on dead-ends.  In fact, as far as I know, the costly detour in The Bifocal Monocle of One-Eyed Jack (the very first episode of Season 3) was the only dead-end they used in Season 3.  They did still use detour rooms to waste time for players who entered the wrong rooms, but other than the first episode, they never had a path lead the players to a full on dead-end.

Some notes about temple guard locations:
First of all, as any Legends fan knows, no temple guards are ever hidden in the Jester's Court, so that makes locating the temple guards easier.

This note is specifically about the Ledges.  In Seasons 1 and 2, if a temple guard was in the Cave of Sighs/Ledges, they would be at the bottom level, out of sight of the players.  However, in Season 3, if a temple guard was in the Ledges, they would be at the top level, out of sight, and early in the season, the lights in the room would be dimmed to make sure the players were unable to see the guard.  This idea of dimming the lights actually makes it kind of obvious when they were hiding a guard in the Ledges.

One last note about Season 3 involves the half-pendant locations.  It seems that in Season 1, they hid the pendants way too harshly and they were almost never found.  In Season 2, they weren't "hidden" very well and were almost inevitably found.  Season 3 had a good compromise between the two.  The pendants were still hidden in plain sight, but often in places where the players may not have noticed their presence.

Enough ramblings.  Let's continue.
Legends fan since 2004

Favorite Team: Silver Snakes followed shortly by Green Monkeys
Favorite Episode: The Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain
Favorite Contestant: Matt (The Silver Horseshoe of Butch Cassidy)
Favorite Room: The Chamber of the Sacred Markers

First Episode Seen: The Missing Portrait of Hans Holbein
Seen all 120 episodes of Legends

• E. Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 01:55:40 AM »
PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:  Since we can't divide Season 3 into layouts (because Season 3 was a layout itself),  let's do this in an organized fashion, 5 AT A TIME.

THE BIFOCAL MONOCLE OF ONE-EYED JACK:
-Encountered Guards: Room of the Ancient Warriors, King's Storeroom.
-Unencountered Guards:  One thing many people don't notice about this episode is that at the last seconds, the second runner picks up the half-pendant from the base of the right-hand skeleton.  With this, we can confirm that the last guard had to be beyond this point.  I'm going to narrow the possibilities to the Dark Forest and the Quicksand Bog.

THE COMET-EMBROIDERED FLAG OF WILLIAM THE CONQUERER:
-Encountered Guards: Crypt, Tomb of the Headless Kings, Room of the Ancient Warriors.

THE WAR FAN OF THE 47 RONIN:
-Encountered Guards: Crypt, Room of the Secret Password
-Unencountered Guards: This one is interesting because the only other room they were given access to is the Ledges.  It does seem weird that they'd put a guard in both entrance rooms, but here, it is the only possibility.  I can only guess that the doors from the Ledges to the Pit of the Pendulum would have been locked, forcing them to encounter both guards if they chose the wrong entrance. (Although counter-intuitive, this seems entirely plausible since they only had 1 pendant, and therefore, one temple guard had to be avoidable)

THE MUCH-HERALDED HELMET OF SIR GAWAIN:
-Encountered Guards: NONE!
-Unencountered Guards: The only other rooms they were given access to were the Ledges, The Room of the Secret Password, and the Quicksand Bog.

THE LION-HEADED BRACELET OF CHANDRAGUPTA:
-Encountered Guards: Room of the Ancient Warriors
-Unencountered Guards: The only other rooms they were given access to were the Crypt and the Dark Forest.
Legends fan since 2004

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 02:04:15 AM »
As far as Gawain is concerned, I think there was a guard in the Chamber, but since the cover didn't go up when Tiffani completed, despite the flash of light that normally accompanies it, the guard couldn't capture it. This is further evidenced in that the cover doesn't go up when Tiffani grabs the helmet (it should've, as it did when Gator grabbed the Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak).

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

If Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have been ruining the music industry since 2008, please copy and paste this into your signature for everyone to see.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 02:12:50 AM »
Its possible that one of the guards in the War Fan run was in the Room of the Ancient Warriors. Sometimes the producers hid the temple guards in suits of armor that did not unlock the doors (i.e. "The Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag of William the Conqueror" and "the Discarded Seal of Ivan the Terrible".)

Also, I know this has been discussed before for the Sir Gawain run, but its possible one of the guards was actually in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers. The door never opens at all during the run, even when Tiffani grabs the artifact. Also, I am pretty sure the third half-pendant is located in that same room.

Finally, Andrea finds the half-pendant in the Lion-Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta run. I haven't seen that episode in a while, but I think your temple guard placement is good.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 02:28:08 AM »
I will do the next five episodes since they are easy for the most part:

THE LION-SLASHED JACKET OF SACAGAWEA
-- The Tomb of the Headless Kings (encountered)
-- The King's Storeroom (encountered)
-- The Ledges? (this one is kind of tricky since Mike never completed the monkey in time, so we don't know if they would be directly granted access into the Secret Password. The half-pendant is visible in the Chamber though I am pretty sure, so perhaps the temple guard was in the Ledges)

THE SECRET MAP OF THE BANDIT QUEEN
-- The Dark Forest (encountered)
-- The Chamber of the Sacred Markers? (It has to be either this room or the Ledges. The Chamber did open when Miriam knocked down the column, making it possibly a useless detour if the team wanted to try the direct path)

THE THORNWOOD GAVEL OF JUDGE ROY BEAN
-- The Room of the Secret Password (encountered)
-- The Chamber of the Sacred Markers (encountered)

THE SNOW CONE OF MOUNT KILIMANJARO
-- The Dark Forest
-- The Quicksand Bog (you can see the pile of boxes during certain points in the run. Don't ask me where the half-pendant is though)

THE UPSIDE DOWN COMPASS OF HENRY HUDSON
-- The Room of the Ancient Warriors (encountered)

• E. Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »
As far as Gawain is concerned, I think there was a guard in the Chamber, but since the cover didn't go up when Tiffani completed, despite the flash of light that normally accompanies it, the guard couldn't capture it. This is further evidenced in that the cover doesn't go up when Tiffani grabs the helmet (it should've, as it did when Gator grabbed the Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak).

Well, the thing is that actually in a lot of the temple runs, particularly the earlier ones in Season 3, the cover never goes up.  For example, The Comet-Embroidered Flag of William the Conquerer and The Secret Map of the Bandit Queen.

Keep in mind that this episode was done on the first day, so some things may seem odd.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:02:12 AM by The Headless King »
Legends fan since 2004

• E. Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 03:00:09 AM »
Its possible that one of the guards in the War Fan run was in the Room of the Ancient Warriors. Sometimes the producers hid the temple guards in suits of armor that did not unlock the doors (i.e. "The Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag of William the Conqueror" and "the Discarded Seal of Ivan the Terrible".)

Thanks for pointing that out.  When I was looking back, I kept watch to see if they checked all three suits, but I forgot about that for this one.

First of all, in the "Battle Flag" run, it WAS in the correct armor.

Also, I've noticed that when they do put the guard in a different armor, they usually put it in one of the suits they expect the players to check first.  For example, in the "Discarded Seal," they came in from the Shrine.  The right-side armor was the correct armor, but they put the guard in the left-side armor because they expected them to check that one first.  Also, in The Lion-Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta, Andrea enters from the King's Storeroom.  The correct armor was the middle armor, but they put the guard in the right-side armor because they expected them to check that one first.

It is still a possibility, since they had one pendant and a guard had to be avoidable.
Legends fan since 2004

• E. Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 03:25:58 AM »
For THE LION-SLASHED JACKET OF SACAGAWEA, I'm a little confused.  There seems to be enough lighting and a good enough camera angle to show that there wasn't a guard in the Ledges, but if that's the case, the only other room it could be is the Dark Forest, because we do get to see that there wasn't a pileup of foam bricks in the Quicksand Bog to hide a temple guard.  I'm going to keep both as possibilities.

For THE SECRET MAP OF THE BANDIT QUEEN, I'm fairly sure it was in the Chamber because of the lighting in the Ledges and because I think we're able to get a good enough view to see there wasn't one in the Ledges.
Legends fan since 2004

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
Yeah, the middle suit in the "Battle Flag" episode DID open the door to The Chamber of the Sacred Markers. The boy just didn't look to see if it was open and it cost him a chance at victory. Watch it and look at the door on the bottom, right as he gets caught. Skip to 6:02 for this video:

Clearly you can see the door leading to The Chamber open.

As for the "War Fan" episode, you can't forget the possibility of the final temple guard being in The Dark Forest. When Jeremy completes the monkey in The Shrine, the door leading down to The Dark Forest opens. I know it might seem odd to put a guard in one of the trees in a room next to the Quicksand Bog (where the War Fan was), but it's possible. If he did go down there, the tree to the left (closest to Quicksand Bog) might have tried to nab him as he tried to bust through the wall. Who knows, maybe the wall wouldn't budge, making this a trap room. However, we'll never know as Jeremy never went down there. As for the final temple guard possibly being in The Ledges, I just don't find that possible. Putting two guards in the first two rooms would be an absolute cruel thing to do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:01:40 AM by PurpleParrot319 »

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
Favorite team: Purple Parrots
Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 10:19:52 AM »

Thanks for pointing that out.  When I was looking back, I kept watch to see if they checked all three suits, but I forgot about that for this one.

Also, I've noticed that when they do put the guard in a different armor, they usually put it in one of the suits they expect the players to check first.  For example, in the "Discarded Seal," they came in from the Shrine.  The right-side armor was the correct armor, but they put the guard in the left-side armor because they expected them to check that one first.  Also, in The Lion-Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta, Andrea enters from the King's Storeroom.  The correct armor was the middle armor, but they put the guard in the right-side armor because they expected them to check that one first.

It is still a possibility, since they had one pendant and a guard had to be avoidable.

Sorry, I meant "the Lion-Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta" for the other run, not "the Battle Flag" run with the avoidable guard in the Room of the Ancient Warrior. Too many Green Monkey runs in season 3.  :|

I went back and watched the War Fan episode, and the Dark Forest did indeed open when the silver monkey was completed. Its possible that there was a guard down there if the team was too stupid to plow through the walls instead of checking the trees like in "the Mystical Spellbook of the Imperial Wizard". But I don't think that's the case here.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »
This note is specifically about the Ledges.  In Seasons 1 and 2, if a temple guard was in the Cave of Sighs/Ledges, they would be at the bottom level, out of sight of the players.  However, in Season 3, if a temple guard was in the Ledges, they would be at the top level, out of sight, and early in the season, the lights in the room would be dimmed to make sure the players were unable to see the guard.  This idea of dimming the lights actually makes it kind of obvious when they were hiding a guard in the Ledges.

Just wanted to respond to this little tidbit also while I am at it. Do we know for sure that the guards in the Ledges in season 3 were always at the top? I mean the only time a temple guard was ever encountered in the Ledges during season 3 was in "the Dried-Apple Half of William Tell". I am not sure if the guards were always located in that spot in the Ledges, or that it was only for that episode.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 10:54:41 AM »

Sorry, I meant "the Lion-Headed Bracelet of Chandragupta" for the other run, not "the Battle Flag" run with the avoidable guard in the Room of the Ancient Warrior. Too many Green Monkey runs in season 3.  :|

I went back and watched the War Fan episode, and the Dark Forest did indeed open when the silver monkey was completed. Its possible that there was a guard down there if the team was too stupid to plow through the walls instead of checking the trees like in "the Mystical Spellbook of the Imperial Wizard". But I don't think that's the case here.

But the show always seems to have stupid players entering the temple, so you never know. I still say The Dark Forest held the final temple guard.

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
Favorite team: Purple Parrots
Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »

But the show always seems to have stupid players entering the temple, so you never know. I still say The Dark Forest held the final temple guard.

Oh its totally possible that there could be a guard down there. I know though that the Jester's Court did not open from the Tomb of the Headless Kings, so there would be no alternate path on along the bottom floor for the temple.

I just can't imagine the last guard being in the Ledges, unless the producers were expecting the team to start in the Ledges, then force them up to the Crypt. The only run that I think that could ever feature a temple guard in both entrance rooms of the temple would be "the Jeweled Scabbard of Sforza", but that was not until the last production day of the show.

Also, good luck to whoever is doing the next five episodes. Those are like the most unbearable runs of the third season.  :|

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »
May as well do the next five...

THE BENT SHAVING PAN OF JEDIDIAH SMITH

Tomb of the Headless Kings (encountered)
Room of the Ancient Warriors (encountered)
Quicksand Bog? Seems to be the most logical spot considering that Irish was taken out only one room away.

THE MARBLE ARMREST OF XERXES

Dark Forest (encountered)
Shrine of the Silver Monkey? The third guard was likely on the top floor, so I think it's either here or the Ancient Warriors.

THE SMASHED PRINTING PLATE OF FREDERICK DOUGLASS

Dark Forest (encountered)
The Crypt (They entered via the Ledges, and the only other room that could've had a guard that they didn't enter was the Storeroom.)

THE MYSTICAL SPELLBOOK OF THE IMPERIAL WIZARD

Quicksand Bog (encountered)
Tomb of the Headless Kings (had to have been either here or the Chamber considering the path they took.)

THE USELESS MAP OF THE CHIBCHA CHIEFTAIN

The Crypt (encountered)
King's Storeroom (encountered)

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

If Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have been ruining the music industry since 2008, please copy and paste this into your signature for everyone to see.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 08:13:08 PM »
I already had the next 5 episodes done a while ago. Most of them are triple temple guard seizures anyways. They are also the impossible layout temple runs.

THE GOLDEN SPIDER WEB OF ROBERT THE BRUCE
-- The Quicksand Bog (encountered)

THE DISCARDED SEAL OF IVAN THE TERRIBLE
-- The Shrine of the Silver Monkey (encountered)

THE MYSTERIOUS MANUSCRIPT OF MARY SHELLEY
-- The Shrine of the Silver Monkey (encountered)
-- The Room of the Secret Password? (the Tomb of the Headless Kings was locked. The only other locations would be the Secret Password, Quicksand Bog, or the Ledges.)

THE DRIED-APPLE HALF OF WILLIAM TELL
-- The Ledges (encountered)
-- ? (Honestly, the team did not make it far enough in the temple to determine where the last guard was. It could've been the Dark Forest, Quicksand Bog, Secret Password, or Shrine. I would take a stab at it and say the Quicksand Bog).

THE MISSING PORTRAIT OF HANS HOLBEIN
-- The Crypt (encountered)
-- The Room of the Secret Password (encountered)