Author Topic: Where were the temple guards?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline The Headless King

• E. Deity
  • I'M ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Where were the temple guards?
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
This note is specifically about the Ledges.  In Seasons 1 and 2, if a temple guard was in the Cave of Sighs/Ledges, they would be at the bottom level, out of sight of the players.  However, in Season 3, if a temple guard was in the Ledges, they would be at the top level, out of sight, and early in the season, the lights in the room would be dimmed to make sure the players were unable to see the guard.  This idea of dimming the lights actually makes it kind of obvious when they were hiding a guard in the Ledges.

Just wanted to respond to this little tidbit also while I am at it. Do we know for sure that the guards in the Ledges in season 3 were always at the top? I mean the only time a temple guard was ever encountered in the Ledges during season 3 was in "the Dried-Apple Half of William Tell". I am not sure if the guards were always located in that spot in the Ledges, or that it was only for that episode.

Well, in some runs, like The Metal Beard of the Egyptian Queen, we can see the guard sitting up there when the player is returning.  It didn't happen a lot though since most players exited through the Crypt.

Plus the whole thing with dimming the lights helps prove it since they never had to do that in Season 2.
Legends fan since 2004

Favorite Team: Silver Snakes followed shortly by Green Monkeys
Favorite Episode: The Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain
Favorite Contestant: Matt (The Silver Horseshoe of Butch Cassidy)
Favorite Room: The Chamber of the Sacred Markers

First Episode Seen: The Missing Portrait of Hans Holbein
Seen all 120 episodes of Legends

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »
This note is specifically about the Ledges.  In Seasons 1 and 2, if a temple guard was in the Cave of Sighs/Ledges, they would be at the bottom level, out of sight of the players.  However, in Season 3, if a temple guard was in the Ledges, they would be at the top level, out of sight, and early in the season, the lights in the room would be dimmed to make sure the players were unable to see the guard.  This idea of dimming the lights actually makes it kind of obvious when they were hiding a guard in the Ledges.

Just wanted to respond to this little tidbit also while I am at it. Do we know for sure that the guards in the Ledges in season 3 were always at the top? I mean the only time a temple guard was ever encountered in the Ledges during season 3 was in "the Dried-Apple Half of William Tell". I am not sure if the guards were always located in that spot in the Ledges, or that it was only for that episode.

Well, in some runs, like The Metal Beard of the Egyptian Queen, we can see the guard sitting up there when the player is returning.  It didn't happen a lot though since most players exited through the Crypt.

Plus the whole thing with dimming the lights helps prove it since they never had to do that in Season 2.

Interesting, I've never noticed that about the Metal Beard run. I remember someone mentioning it before, I never went back in check.

It would be helpful if all the temple guard placements were like this for the Ledges. It makes sense to stand at the top of the Ledges in season 3 due to the darkness of the room space like you mentioned. Also, a lot of contestants preferred the Crypt due to its easier access to the Pit. I am actually surprised the Ledges were used at all in season 3 to be honest, it was much easier to use the Crypt.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 01:02:23 AM »
I guess I will do the next 5 since they are not complicated or tricky.  ;)

THE IVORY HUNTING HORN OF ROLAND
-- The Tomb of the Headless Kings (encountered)
-- The King's Storeroom? (the room opened up when Yakerra knocked the column down, possibly creating a trap guard for the direct path route)
-- The Quicksand Bog? (just in case the team plowed through the wall)

THE ROYAL TORQUE OF QUEEN BOADICEA
-- The Crypt (encountered)
-- The Chamber of the Sacred Markers (encountered)
-- The Shrine of the Silver Monkey (encountered)

THE LOST HORNPIPE OF THE PIRATE CAPTAIN
-- The Ledges (It was the only unlocked room they didn't enter, unless you want to argue that a guard could've been in the Room of the Secret Password and Jared managed to get out of there in time)

THE ENORMOUS FEATHER OF THE ME LINH
-- The Dark Forest (encountered)
-- The Room of the Secret Password? (It had to be either that room or the Ledges. I will go with the Secret Password though because the Ledges were a rare place to have a guard)

Also, one an unrelated note, god was she stupid or what in the temple? I forgot how she made no attempt to run faster after even getting the feather. -_-

THE RED SASH OF TROKUGAWA IEYASU
-- The King's Storeroom (encountered)
-- The Room of the Secret Password (encountered)
-- The Quicksand Bog (encountered)

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
I'll give the next three episodes a try:

THE BROKEN TRIDENT OF POSEIDON (this one's going to be hard)
-- The Ledges? (I think one had to be there. No guard in The Crypt and with 2 pendants, I think it makes sense)
-- The Chamber of the Sacred Markers? (the door leading to this room via Headless Kings might have opened, but I'm not sure)
-- Room of the Ancient Warriors? (if Kimberly took this path, then this room would be a possibility. Either that or The King's Storeroom)
The Dark Forest is also a possibility with the tree on the right. Again, this one's hard and nearly impossible to label the guard locations.

THE LILY-CRESTED CROWN OF CLOVIS THE FIRST
-- The Ledges? (again, another team with 2 pendants and The Crypt was already an entered room. The Room of the Secret Password and The Dark Forest are also possibilities, but we'll never know as the monkey was never assembled. I wonder if the door leading down into The Tomb of the Headless Kings had opened via Chamber, the guard could've been down there as well)

THE MUSSEL-SHELL ARMOR OF APANUUGPAK (yay, an easy one!)
-- The Dark Forest (encountered)

Maybe someone has a better view of where the guards were in the first two episodes I listed.

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)
Proud fan of the Purple Parrots.
Soh u herd i liek teh purpul parets? U herd rite!
Favorite team: Purple Parrots
Favorite episode: The Mussel-Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite player: Gator from the same episode
Favorite room: A tie between the Dark Forest and the Jesters' Court

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
I agree with your temple guard placement for "the Broken Trident of Poseidon" for the most part. If you watch the run and pay attention to the Dark Forest, you will notice that the tree on the right (the one near the Jester's Court) has its arm slightly elevated, possibly waiting for Kimberly to reach inside the tree. I have seen this occur in other runs in the temple.

I am not sure if the Chamber did unlock though. Neither the Chamber or King's Storeroom opened from the Pit when Kimberly knocked the column down. Perhaps it did open from the Tomb of the Headless Kings.

For "the Lily-Crested Crown of Clovis the First", its possible the Room of the Secret Password would open up. But since the team never assembled the monkey in time, we don't know if it ever did.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
Out of curiosity, was there ever a guard in The Jester's Court? For some reason, I feel like I remember seeing one there once before, but I might be wrong.

All credit goes to The Viper/repiV ehT for making me this banner. Thank you so much! =)

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2011, 01:41:34 PM »
Out of curiosity, was there ever a guard in The Jester's Court? For some reason, I feel like I remember seeing one there once before, but I might be wrong.

There never was, likely due to a lack of a place to hide them.

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

If Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have been ruining the music industry since 2008, please copy and paste this into your signature for everyone to see.

Offline PurpleParrot319

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »

There never was, likely due to a lack of a place to hide them.

Thank you. :)

• E. Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
Okay,  I've fallen behind so time to make up some big-time time. (lol, Fogg quote  :mrgreen: )

First, something about the highly controversial War Fan episode.  Along with my previous observations, I'm really thinking the Dark Forest is not a possibility, because it needs to be possible to encounter all three temple guards, so if it was in the Dark Forest, either the Dark Forest or the Room of the Secret Password had to be a dead-end.  However, other than that first episode in Season 3, they didn't have any completely dead-ends in the third season.  You could argue that it could be a situation similar to The Thornwood Gavel of Judge Roy Bean where they put one guard on each path and both paths lead to the same place, but I'm really doubting that here since we're talking about two rooms that were both adjacent to the artifact room.

The War Fan episode may be on the table for a long time, but this is my position on it.

Now, onto the episodes you've all covered:

THE BENT SHAVING PAN OF JEDEDIAH SMITH:
The door to the Chamber did not open, so I'm thinking it was in the Ledges or the Quicksand Bog.  I'm more thinking the ledges, because I believe I can see a silhouette of a temple guard in there at some point.

THE MARBLE ARMREST OF XERXES:
Based on the path they took and what doors unlocked, it seems that all three encounters were forced, unless they put the other guard in the King's Storeroom.  I doubt that though, because they kind of made it obvious where the half-pendant was, which hints that all three were forced.  Though, it was almost impossible for the frontrunner to miss, but easy for the second runner to forget.  So, I'm saying Password, Shrine, or Warriors.

THE SMASHED PRINTING PLATE OF FREDERICK DOUGLASS:
Could have been in the Crypt or the King's Storeroom.  To me, either seems equally likely.

THE MYSTICAL SPELL BOOK OF THE IMPERIAL WIZARD:
The only place that makes sense is the Chamber of the Sacred Markers.

THE MYSTERIOUS MANUSCRIPT OF MARY SHELLEY:
Because of how dark it was in the Ledges (seriously, it was REALLY dark in there this time), I'm thinking the guard was in the Ledges.  However, something strange happens in this episode and I have a theory why.  While the first runner is in the Room of the Ancient Warriors, the middle suit spins around as if a temple guard were in there BEFORE she tried that suit.  I really think a temple guard was supposed to be in there, but because of the screw-up, he was unable to grab her.  This, combined with the abnormally long time it took the guard in the Shrine to come out makes me think that since the guard screwed up in the Warriors, they told him to just go to the next room to make the capture.  THIS IS JUST A THEORY EXPLAINING A STRANGE HAPPENING.

THE DRIED APPLE-HALF OF WILLIAM TELL:
They didn't make it far enough to know where the other guard was, but I have a theory.  Since they had two pendants and the first two guards were unavoidable, it seems pointless to make the third encounter optional, so I'm thinking it was in the Dark Forest or the Shrine of the Silver Monkey, because they already went through enough rooms that the upward passage from the Dark Forest to the Shrine should have opened.

THE IVORY HUNTING HORN OF ROLAND:
Definitely, one was in the Quicksand Bog, because in the credits, they do a first-person view down the Shrine-Bog passage and we clearly see the pile-up of blocks hiding a temple guard.  I'm going to say the other was either in the King's Storeroom or the Chamber of the Sacred Markers, based on which Pit doors opened and where the half-pendant was.

THE LOST HORNPIPE OF THE PIRATE CAPTAIN:
Definitely in the Ledges.

THE ENORMOUS FEATHER OF THE ME LINH:
I'm saying the Ledges because of the darkness again, plus the only other option is the Room of the Secret Password, which really seems unlikely considering their path.

THE BROKEN TRIDENT OF POSEIDON:
It is difficult for me to piece this one together.  I can only assume there was an alternate path up the central column and through the Room of the Ancient Warriors.  However, if this path is true, a temple guard in the Chamber of the Sacred Markers would be behind the cover, but when she grabs the Trident (and before she DROPS it), that cover slides up, showing the absence of a temple guard there, ruling out the Chamber.  So, what's left is the Ledges, the King's Storeroom, and the Room of the Ancient Warriors.

THE LILY-CRESTED CROWN OF CLOVIS THE FIRST:
Youtube's crappin' out on me for this episode, so I can only go by nicklegends' temple diagram.  Could be in the Ledges, Password, or Dark Forest.

On a final note:
We are getting close to the end, but I would like to keep this topic active so people will continue to discuss it until we can figure out definite answers.  After we get to the last ones, I will go through a comprehensive list of what episodes we still need answers for and what possibilities we narrowed it down to.
Legends fan since 2004

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
Dunno about "MĂȘ Linh"... I'm leaning more towards the third guard being in the Room of the Secret Password.  If it were in the Ledges, wouldn't it really be a dick move to have the team's first choice in the Temple doom them like that? I could understand if the team had a Pendant and a half so they could recover if they found the other half, but this team only had one.  The guards would have to be a bit easier to avoid than that.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2011, 01:35:15 AM »
I would like to use this list when we are done to make a lists of temple guards that could've been avoidable during each run. Also, I want to say that this topic was a good idea. It brought some life back into the forum.  :)

As for the "Enormous Feather of the Me Linh" run. I don't think it would've been a dick move to put the last guard in the Ledges. It would be similar to "the Useless Map of the Chibcha Chieftan" where choosing the incorrect entrance room could seal the team's fate. The only difference though is that the Tomb of the Headless Kings guard was avoidable in Chibcha Chieftan.

• E. Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
TAW does bring up a good point though.  I will consider the Room of the Secret Password.

And TRJ, I think that making a list like this one will give a lot better understanding of the game for Legends fans and it can definitely be put to many more uses. 

Also, this is the first topic on absolutely any forum I have started and had this much activity.  This feels awesome.

I'm gonna quickly do the next 2 to get us back on track of fives.

THE METAL BEARD OF THE EGYPTAIN QUEEN:
-Encountered guards: Tomb of the Headless Kings, Dark Forest
-Unencountered guards:  This is the episode I was talking about earlier where we can actually see the other guard in the Ledges

THE MUMMIFIED HAND OF THE EGYPTIAN KING:
-Encountered guards: Tomb of the Headless Kings, Room of the Ancient Warriors, Room of the Secret Password

It's a shame the second runner didn't keep the same path after his partner DROPPED her pendant.  He probably would have found the half-pendant in the Chamber which could have made this a victory.
Legends fan since 2004

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
May as well tackle the next five...

THE LOST TAJ MAHAL TURBAN OF AURANGZEB

Chamber of the Sacred Markers (encountered)
Shrine of the Silver Monkey (encountered)
Quicksand Bog (encountered)

THE MELTED HEAD OF MADAME TUSSAUD

Room of the Ancient Warriors (encountered)
The Ledges? (I doubt the third guard was in either the Dark Forest or the Room of the Secret Password, as both rooms are adjacent to the Quicksand Bog, where the artifact was.)

THE PEARL NECKLACE OF GWALIOR

The Ledges (aside from which room to enter the Temple in, the team didn't have any choices as to what rooms they wanted to enter)

THE BULLET-RIDDLED HANDBAG OF BELLE BOYD

Tomb of the Headless Kings (encountered)
Dark Forest (encountered)
Quicksand Bog (encountered)

THE LOST WHALEBONE OF PYTHEAS

Tomb of the Headless Kings (encountered)
The Ledges (Unless the producers were banking on the team taking an unnecessary detour into either the Room of the Secret Password or the King's Storeroom, it would have to be here) 

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

If Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have been ruining the music industry since 2008, please copy and paste this into your signature for everyone to see.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
I think most of those are right on spot.

"The Lost Whalebone of Pytheas" temple guard had to be in the Ledges. The Room of the Secret Password did not open when Damien assembled the monkey, and the King's Storeroom would've been a useless detour.

"The Melted Head of Madame Tussaud" is kind of tricky, but I agree with you on that one also. It would be nice though to find where the half-pendant was located at.

Also, I don't think the team would've won in "the Mummified Hand of the Egyptian King" had Josh took Maggie's path. I think the team would've been forced up the central column in that run if they started off at the bottom, which would be two extra rooms for them to complete. Had Maggie chose to take the top route though, they could've avoided triple seizure.

• E. Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
My notes for those:

THE MELTED HEAD OF MADAME TUSSAUD:
Well, I'm also considering the Room of the Secret Password.  Even though time runs out, she still completes the monkey and only the Room of the Secret Password opens.  I think it's still a possibility mostly because they had 1 1/2 pendants and the Chamber guard was already avoidable.

THE PEARL NECKLACE OF GWALIOR:
Yeah, their only other choice was the Ledges

THE LOST WHALE BONE OF PYTHEAS:
Yeah, it would make sense to put it in the Ledges because that affects the difficulty of the run depending on how early they get caught.

also, TRJ, I've explained before that in Season 3, unlocked doors never open if it only leads them backwards.  In this case, the Password-Shrine door only opens by completing the Password objective.  I still don't think it was in the Room of the Secret Password, though.

On another note with TRJ, I'm thinking the "Melted Head" half-pendant was in one of the King's Storeroom pots, but Nick had such sloppy smashing that it probably flew across the room.
Legends fan since 2004