Author Topic: Legends: Rebirth-The Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain  (Read 817 times)

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
  • Okay, I finally have a tagline. Happy now?
    • View Profile
Episode 58: The Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain

The camera winds and twists its way through a thick jungle of strange and exotic plants.  After a few wrong turns, it finally stops in front of an ancient Mayan temple.  At the base of the temple, a giant stone head sits.  Suddenly, a torch on either side of the head begins burning.  The head’s eyes light up, and it begins to speak:

Legends of the Hidden Temple: Rebirth!”  These words appear on the screen.  “With your guide, Kirk Fogg!  And here he is now!”

A middle-aged man wearing a denim shirt and blue jeans rides in on an ATV.  He dismounts the vehicle and runs up the Steps of Knowledge, microphone in hand.

“Thank you!  Thank you very much!  Nice to see everyone!  Nice to see you, Olmec!  Welcome to Legends of the Hidden Temple: Rebirth.  The rooms are filled with lost treasures protected by mysterious Mayan Temple Guards.  Only Olmec knows the legends behind each of these all-new treasures in his temple…which one are we gonna hear about today?”

“The legend of the Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain,” Olmec replies.

“Oh, the Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain,” Kirk repeats.  “Well, the legend is set, and one of these teams will have a chance to retrieve the Headdress—will it be:

“The Red Jaguars?”  The camera zooms in on each team as they are introduced.
“The Blue Barracudas?
“The Green Monkeys?
“The Orange Iguanas?
“The Purple Parrots?
“Or the Silver Snakes?

“They’ll have to pass some tough physical and mental tests, but in the end, only one team will have the right to enter Olmec’s Temple.  But first, they have to cross the Moat, and Olmec will tell us how they’ll have to do that today…”

Olmec begins to explain the Moat Crossing:
“Before you, several rock formations stick out from the Moat.  Closer to you float the remains of an ancient raft.  When Kirk gives the signal, one player from each team will jump into the water and balance the raft, and the other player will step onto the raft itself.  Then, kick your way across the Moat, avoiding the rocks along the way.  If you hit a rock formation, or the second player falls or touches their partner, you must both go back and begin again.  Once you reach the other side, step off the raft, help your partner out of the water, run over and hit the gong.”  Kirk hits the Silver Snakes’ gong to demonstrate.  “The first four teams to hit their gongs will go on to the next round!”

“All right, it’s time to get started,” says Kirk.  “Hey teams, are you ready?”
The teams shout and cheer in response.
“Olmec, are you ready?” asks Kirk.
“Let’s rock the house,” replies Olmec.
“Ha ha…all right,” says Kirk.  “On your mark, get set, GO!”

The boys of each team step into the water and hold onto the rafts as the girls step onto them; they then start kicking across the Moat.  “There they go, and they’re fast approaching that first rock!” says Kirk as all six teams manage to make it up to the boulder.  The Blue Barracudas and Red Jaguars shakily manage to squeeze around the boulder, but the other four teams’ girls aren’t so lucky and topple into the water.  “Oh, we’ve got a four-team pile-up!” says Kirk as the four teams start to make their way back.  “Red Jaguars and Blue Barracudas looking good, though!”  The four other teams restart their crossing as the Red Jaguars and Blue Barracudas pull further out in front.  The Green Monkeys hit the boulder with their raft when they approach it, but the other teams manage to slowly make it around the boulder as the Red Jaguars and Blue Barracudas begin to pass through the rock arch.  “I think I know who our first two teams will be,” remarks Kirk as the Orange Iguanas, Silver Snakes and Purple Parrots slowly make it around the boulder.  The Red Jaguars and Blue Barracudas have now made it across, and both teams’ girls step off the raft.  The Green Monkeys finally manage to make it around the boulder as the Red Jaguars’ and Blue Barracudas’ boys are helped out of the Moat by their female partners and both teams hit their gongs.  “Two teams—we need two more!” says Kirk as the Silver Snakes fall off while trying to make it under the rock arch.  The Orange Iguanas and Purple Parrots make it through their rock arches, however, as the Green Monkeys approach their rock arch.  The Orange Iguanas’ and Purple Parrots’ girls step off their rafts, and then help their male teammates out of the water.  As the Green Monkeys’ boy desperately tries to make it through the rock arch in time, the Orange Iguanas and Purple Parrots hit their gongs, ending the Moat Crossing.

“All right, they did it!” says Kirk as he rushes over and stands beside the Purple Parrots.  “Fourth team, right here—Purple Parrots made it over, slowly but surely, and it paid off for ‘em, because they’re going on to the Steps of Knowledge…along with the Orange Iguanas…” Kirk pauses between each team’s name to allow applause.  “…and the Blue Barracudas…and the Red Jaguars!  The Green Monkeys and the Silver Snakes didn’t quite make it, but that’s okay.  We’ve got a great gift for ‘em, and here’s what it is!”  They receive a $50 gift card from Old Navy.
Favorite Episode: The Secret Map of the Bandit Queen
Favorite Room: The Chamber of the Sacred Markers
Favorite Team: Blue Barracudas

It's baaaaaaaack...
Legends of the Hidden Temple: Rebirth! (return date TBD)

1980s - Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, etc.
1990s - Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Nirvana, etc.
Present - Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc.
You do the math.

"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the questions!"
--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Legends: Rebirth-The Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »
Kirk and the remaining four teams are now standing atop the Steps of Knowledge.  “As the quest continues, it’s now time for Olmec to tell us about the Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain.  But teams, pay attention, because your knowledge of the legend could help bring you a step closer to Olmec’s Temple…”

Olmec begins to tell the story:
“One of the wisest leaders in history was the Zulu chieftain Jama kaNdaba.  He was king of the Zulu warriors in Africa for thirteen years, and was known for being strict, but also fair.  He wore a giant headdress made of eagle feathers, which symbolized his authority among the Zulus.  His wife, Mthaniya, was known for her beauty among the Zulu people.  Jama and Mthaniya had three children—a son, and twin daughters.  However, legend has it that the same day his daughters were born, one of the Zulu elders approached him.
“‘Chief, your wife has brought forth two baby girls upon the earth.  The law states that if we do not sacrifice one of them to the gods, either you or your wife will surely die.’
“Jama was shocked.  ‘Who made up that crazy law?’
“‘I don’t write the laws, sire,’ said the elder.  ‘I just enforce ‘em.’
“‘You’re putting me on the spot—can’t I at least sleep on it?’ Jama asked.
“‘All right,’ said the elder, ‘but I must have your answer in the morning.’
“Jama tossed and turned all night, wrestling with himself over what to do.  The next morning, all the elders of the village confronted him about his decision.
“‘I’ve made my choice,’ Jama told the elders.  ‘We will not sacrifice either of my daughters.  I don’t care if I die myself—at least my conscience will be clear if I do!’
“Neither Jama nor his wife died, and all three of his children grew to be great leaders.  Jama kaNdaba is long gone, but his headdress has found its way to the Temple.  Your quest is to find the Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain and bring it back here.”

“Okay,” says Kirk.  “But tell us, Olmec, where is the Headdress?”

“The Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain can be found in the Jewel Mine,” Olmec replies.  The camera zooms in on a large headdress decorated with black-and-white feathers positioned on the guardrail at the front of the room before fading back to Kirk.

“Ah, the Jewel Mine,” Kirk replies.  “Okay, teams, you’re now standing on the Steps of Knowledge.  In a moment, Olmec’s gonna ask you a question.  If you think you know the answer, stomp down on the ancient marking in front of you.  If you’re right, you’ll be able to move down to the next level; however, if you’re wrong or you run out of time, I’ll give the other teams a chance to answer.”  Kirk begins descending the Steps.  “The first two teams to make it to the bottom level will be one step closer to Olmec’s Temple.  Olmec—we’re now ready for your first question.”

Olmec begins:
“Was Jama kaNdaba the king of: the Masai tribe, the Zulu tribe, or the Pagong tribe?”
The Blue Barracudas ring in.  “The…Zulu tribe…?”
“That is correct,” Olmec replies.  The Blue Barracudas proceed to the second step.
“Step down, Blue Barracudas,” says Kirk.  “Next question, Olmec.”

“Was Jama’s wife named: Bilkis, Mthaniya, or Jessica?”
After a few seconds, the Blue Barracudas ring in.  “Bilkis?”
“Incorrect,” says Olmec.
The Orange Iguanas ring in.  “Moth-awn…thaw-nya?”
“That…is correct,” says Olmec.  The Orange Iguanas advance to the second step.
“Tricky pronunciation,” says Kirk.  “But they got it, and they step down.  Next question, please.”

“Which continent were the Zulu tribe from: Asia, South America, or Africa?”
The Orange Iguanas ring in.  “Africa?”
“That is correct,” says Olmec.  The Orange Iguanas proceed to the next-to-last step.
“Orange Iguanas are only one step away from the Temple Games,” says Kirk.  “Next question.”

“How many children did Jama kaNdaba have: one, three, or seven?”
The Red Jaguars ring in.  “Three?”
“That is correct,” replies Olmec.  The Red Jaguars descend to the second step.
“Red Jaguars step down now,” says Kirk.  “Still need two teams…next question.”

“How were Jama’s children spread out: one daughter and two sons, one son and two daughters, or three daughters and no sons?”
The Blue Barracudas ring in.  “Um…one son, and two daughters.”
“That…is correct,” responds Olmec.  The Blue Barracudas join the Orange Iguanas on the next-to-last step.
“Blue Barracudas are now one step away,” says Kirk.  “And we’re still looking for two teams…next question, please.”

“When Jama’s twin daughters were born, did the elders want Jama to: celebrate, sacrifice one of them, or—”
The Red Jaguars ring in early.  “Sacrifice one of them?”
“That is correct,” affirms Olmec.  The Red Jaguars join the Blue Barracudas and Orange Iguanas on the penultimate step, meaning…
“We’ve got a three-way tie on the bottom step,” observes Kirk.  “There’s still time for the Silver Snakes to get in it, though…next question.”

“After a sleepless night, what did Jama decide to do: sacrifice one of his—”
The Orange Iguanas ring in.  “He, um…didn’t want to sacrifice either of them…?”
“That…is correct!” booms Olmec, and the Orange Iguanas step to the bottom and high-five one another.
“The Orange Iguanas are our first team for the Temple Games,” says Kirk.  “We need one more team, though…next question.”

“What happened after Jama wouldn’t sacrifice his daughters: his wife died, he died, or—”
The Red Jaguars ring in early.  “Um…neither of ‘em died…”
“That…is correct,” says Olmec, and the Red Jaguars join the Orange Iguanas on the bottom level.

“We’ve got our two teams for the Temple Games,” says Kirk as he runs onscreen and stands between them.  “They are the Orange Iguanas, and the Red Jaguars—nice job, yeah!  Blue Barracudas and Purple Parrots did a good job, too, and they’re not going home empty-handed.  We’ve got a great gift for ‘em, and here’s what it is!”  They receive a backpack from Outdoor Products.

Kirk is now seen standing between the two advancing teams.  “These two teams will be playing for the rights to enter…”  He points toward the Temple.  “…that over there, and they’ll do it right after this!”

The camera flies over Kirk before cutting to the left and zooming in on a red-and-green vine growing off a portion of the Ledges before the title appears onscreen, and we fade to a commercial.

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
We return from the break and find Kirk standing in front of the Temple with the two remaining teams.

“Welcome back to Legends: Rebirth,” he welcomes us.  “Now, of course, is when the glory goes to the fastest and the strongest, but first, let’s get to know our teams a little better…”

Kirk first turns to the Red Jaguars, who are made up of a slender girl with very long blonde hair and bright blue eyes and a slightly taller, brown-eyed boy with nappy black hair.
“On the Red Jaguars, we have Stacy.  How old are you, Stacy?”
“Twelve,” she replies.
“And it says here you like basketball, but you also like to draw…tell me a little about that, if you don’t care.”
“Um…I’ve been drawing since I was a little kid.  I also like to paint…I guess I’m just…artistic.”  Stacy laughs a bit.
“Ha-ha…okay, nothing wrong with that,” says Kirk as he turns to Stacy’s partner.  “And over here is your partner, Johnny.  How old are you, Johnny?”
“Thirteen,” Johnny replies.
“And…it says you like to play soccer and baseball, but there’s one sport you really like…what’s that?”
“Paintball,” Johnny says without hesitation.
“Whoa…why do you like paintball?”
“Uh…I guess I just like the thrill of runnin’ around outside.  I play with my friends sometimes, like on weekends and stuff.”
“Have you ever gotten hurt?” asks Kirk.
“Yeah…lots of times,” says Johnny.
“Well, I hope that doesn’t happen today…let’s hear it for the Red Jaguars!”  Stacy and Johnny clap along with the audience.

Kirk now turns to the Orange Iguanas, who are made up of a tall blue-eyed girl with shoulder-length auburn hair and slightly tan skin and an equally tall, slightly muscular African-American boy with very short black hair.
“And here on the Orange Iguanas, we have Sierra.  How old are you?”
“Thirteen,” she says.
“And it says here that you like to play tennis…that’s kind of interesting; tell us a little about that.”
“Well, I got started playing with my mom when I was nine,” she says, “and…I got into it at school, later, and…I’ve liked it ever since.”
“All right, nice,” says Kirk as he turns to Sierra’s partner.  “And here’s your partner here, Jamaal.  How old are you, Jamaal?”
“Thirteen,” he replies.
“And it says here you like to play basketball and football, and your favorite subject in school is U.S. history—why?”
“Well, I just like learning how this country started, and…how its history goes and stuff.  I’m a big fan of…like, Civil War-era history.”
“All right, you came on the right show if you love history,” says Kirk.  “Let’s hear it for the Orange Iguanas!”  Jamaal and Sierra smile and applaud along with the audience.

“All right, are you guys ready to play?” Kirk asks the teams.

“Yeah!” they reply.

“Okay, then go get ready for the Temple Games,” says Kirk.  “Now, in the Temple Games, our teams are competing to win…”  Kirk retrieves a Pendant of Life from his pouch and holds it up to the camera.  “…Pendants of Life.  The winning team will need those Pendants to protect themselves from the very, very dreadful Temple Guards inside Olmec’s Temple.  There are three Temple Games, and Olmec will tell us about Temple Game #1…”

The black lights under Olmec come on and he begins to explain the first Game:
“As a symbol of his authority in the Zulu tribe, Jama kaNdaba wore a large headdress decorated with the feathers of eagles, an animal considered sacred to the Zulus.  In this game, you’ll be gathering some more feathers for Jama’s headdress.  When Kirk gives the signal, jump up, grab a feather, come back and place it in your bin.  Then run around, grab another feather and do it again.  The first player to get all their feathers, or…the player with the most feathers at the end of thirty seconds…wins.”

“Hmm…since we’ve got their feathers, are they bald eagles now?” Kirk asks someone off-camera.  “Don’t look at me like that; I don’t write this stuff…let’s put thirty seconds on the clock!”  The clock slams down in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.  “On your mark, get set, GO!”

Sierra and Stacy each have a bit of trouble jumping up high enough to grab the feathers from the platform, but they do eventually get the hang of it while strapped to their rotating lever.  Both girls remain fairly even throughout the game, but Stacy misses one feather that Sierra manages to get.  As the game comes to a close, both girls are far from getting all their feathers, but they appear to be fairly evenly matched by the time the clock reaches zero.

“That’s it,” says Kirk as he rushes back onscreen.  “Come on down; stop spinning—if you can stop!”  A spotter grabs the bins and brings them over to Kirk.  “Come over here, let’s count it up…the Orange Iguanas got one, two, three, four feathers.  And the Red Jaguars got…one, two, three, four…five feathers!  The Red Jaguars get the half Pendant of Life!”  The audience applauds briefly.  “The Orange Iguanas can catch up in our next Temple Game, though.  It’s worth a half Pendant, too—Olmec tell us about it…”

Olmec begins:
“When the elders were notified that Jama would not sacrifice one of his daughters, they respected his ruling, but in this game, you’ll be able to see what it might have been like if the elders wouldn’t have taken no for an answer.  When Kirk gives the signal, grab Jama’s daughters, and throw them up to the next level of the platform.  Then, jump up to the next level yourself and start all over.  When you reach the top, place Jama’s daughters in the marked spot, safe from the elders who want to sacrifice them.  The first player to reach the top and save Jama’s daughters, or…the player that’s further along at the end of sixty seconds…wins.”

“All right, time to rescue these girls,” says Kirk.  “Let’s put sixty seconds on the clock!”  The clock slams down in the bottom corner, set for sixty seconds this time.  “On your mark, get set, GO!”

Both Johnny and Jamaal throw the two large dolls they are given up to the second level of the vertical trampoline-maze, and they both begin jumping on the trampoline to try to hoist themselves up to the second level.  They both have a little trouble getting high enough due to their lower centers of gravity, but they both make it into the second level with about 40 seconds left.  They race over to the second trampoline on the other side, throw their two dolls through the hole, and begin trying to jump up to the top level within seconds of one another.  With about 20 seconds to go, both boys reach the top level.  They both reach down to grab their dolls, and they both place them with about 15 seconds left on the clock, placing them at, literally almost the same time.

“All right, that’s it,” says Kirk as he appears back onscreen.  “Both of these guys were fast and furious!  It was down to the wire; we’ll have to consult the judges to find out who won…”  A faint voice can be heard calling to Kirk from the sidelines.  “Whoa…they made it to the top at the exact same time!  That means both teams get the half Pendant of Life!”  The audience applauds for a few seconds.  “That was a great, fast-paced game, but now we go to the third and final Temple Game.  It’s worth a full Pendant, and it’ll decide who wins—Olmec, tell us about Temple Game #3…”

Olmec begins to explain the final Game:
“Jama’s son and one of his daughters both became leaders of the Zulu nation, and his grandchildren were also born leaders as well.  In this game, you’ll be tracing the lineage of Jama kaNdaba.  On the wall before you are the names of four of Jama’s descendents that became leaders of the Zulu tribe: Mkabayi, Senzangakhona, Dingane, and Shaka Zulu.  When Kirk gives the signal, load your slingshot and shoot a ball up to your partner, who will then catch the ball and place it on the first Zulu leader.  Then, climb up to the next one.  The first team to cover all four Zulu leaders, or…the team that’s further along at the end of sixty seconds wins!”

“This is for the Temple,” says Kirk.  “Let’s put sixty seconds on the clock!”  The clock slams down in the corner, ready to go.  “On your mark, get set, GO!”

Both boys manage to catch the first cannonball launched to them and cover up “Mkabayi”, and they climb up to the second target with about fifty seconds remaining.  Stacy’s aim is pretty bad, and she sends cannonballs either over Johnny’s head or out of his reach.  Sierra’s aim isn’t much better, but she catches a lucky break as Jamaal catches a ball shot towards him and covers up “Senzangakhona” with thirty seconds to go.  Johnny manages to catch a cannonball and cover up “Senzangakhona” as well about five seconds later, tying up the game.  No one scores for a few more seconds until Sierra catches another lucky shot that Jamaal catches, covering up “Dingane” with seven seconds to go.  The Red Jaguars can’t come back, and time expires soon afterward.

“Okay, time’s up!” says Kirk as he appears back onscreen.  “They had balls flying everywhere in that one!  Come over here, girls, and we’ll see how we did…well, the Red Jaguars made it up to Senza…the second one, and the Orange Iguanas made it up to the third one.  That means the Orange Iguanas get the full Pendant, giving them one-and-a-half; the Red Jaguars have one—the Orange Iguanas are going to the Temple!”  Sierra applauds and whoops in excitement as Jamaal can be seen clapping in the background.  “Red Jaguars were great, too; it was a really close match.  They’re not going home empty-handed—we have a great gift for ‘em, and here’s what that gift is!”  They receive a $500 savings bond provided by Wonka candy.

As the prize disappears off-screen, Kirk is seen standing next to Sierra and Jamaal, who is now free from his harness.  “Now we’ll see if the Orange Iguanas can make it through Olmec’s Temple; retrieve the Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain, right after this!”

The camera pans in on the Dungeon and zooms in on the entrance to the Pharaoh’s Secret Passage before the title appears onscreen, and we go to a commercial.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:32:20 PM by The Bandit King »

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
We return from the break to find Kirk standing in front of the Temple with the winning team.

“Welcome back to Legends: Rebirth,” he welcomes us.  “The Orange Iguanas have proven themselves worthy, and now have earned the right to enter Olmec’s Temple.  But first, Olmec’s gotta give them some information on how to retrieve the Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain…”

Olmec begins to explain the Temple layout as the camera gives us a first-person tour of the Temple:
“You could start…by running up the stairs to the Crypt!  Grab the book from the skeletons, and pass into the Bottomless Pit.  Swing across the gap, and climb into the Lookout Tower.  Focus the telescope to read the ancient print on the far wall, and a door may open into the Geographer’s Study.  Find the missing pieces of the map and correctly place them, and pass into the Shaolin Dojo.  Place the yin-yang on the correct suit of armor, and open the door to the SHRIIIINE of the Silver Monkey!  Assemble the statue and you may be headed toward the Lightning Ball Room!  Connect the power cords to create your own lightning, which will blast open the door to the Pharaoh’s Secret Passage.  Slide down the tunnel to the Dungeon, where you could smash through the wall into the Dark Forest…but beware of the Temple Guards that may inhabit the trees!  Find the key in the tree, and you’ll enter the Chamber…of the Four Elements.  Place the elements in the correct order, and you’ll gain entry to the Jewel Mine!  Place all the jewels into the mine cart, then…race through the Pit, climb through the Ledges, rrrrace down the stairs and back through the Temple Gate!  The choices are yours and yours alone!”  Olmec pauses.  “You won 1½ Pendants in the Temple Games.  Who’s going first?”

“I am,” says Sierra, raising her hand.

“Very well, Sierra,” Olmec replies.  “When Kirk gives the signal, you’ll race through the Gates into the Temple and make your way toward…the Eagle Feather Headdress.  Hidden inside the Temple are Temple Guards assigned to protect three specific rooms.  You can trade your Pendant for an extra life and go on, but…if you’re caught without a Pendant, you’ll be taken out of the Temple, and it’ll be Jamaal’s turn to enter and try his luck.  Hidden somewhere in the Temple are Tem…is the other half of your Pendant.  If you can find it and you’re carrying the other half, you’ll receive an extra life.  If you reach the Headdress, all the doors of the Temple will instantly unlock, and the Temple Guards will vanish.  Return through the Gate with the Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain in three minutes, and you will both be handsomely rewarded: and here’s how!”

• Just for making it to the Temple, they’ll get a bicycle from Mongoose.
• If they can reach the Headdress within three minutes, they’ll also receive an Xbox 360, complete with three new games.
• And if they can bring the Headdress out of the Temple before three minutes expires, they’ll win a trip to Cedar Points Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio.

“What a great grand prize trip…let’s see if they can make it back and win it,” says Kirk.  “Now, Jamaal, what kind of strategy do you and Sierra think will get you to the…the Headdress?”

“Um…we’re gonna try to take the top path,” explains Jamaal, “‘cause I don’t think it’s gonna let us in the room from the bottom right off the bat.  So, we’re gonna just go up top, and…go around and get it.”

“Ah, sound strategy,” says Kirk.  “Let’s see if it wins it for ‘em.  Mouthpieces in, both of you…let’s put three minutes on the clock!”  The clock slams down in the bottom corner of the screen, ready to go.

“Olmec, lower your gate, if you please.”  Olmec moans gutturally as the Gate is lowered, and the black lights and torches under him are turned off.

“Are you ready, Sierra?” asks Kirk.

“Yes, I am,” says Sierra through her mouthpiece.

“Yes, she is…on your mark,” begins Kirk, “get set, GO!”

“There she goes, up, up, up into the Temple!” narrates Kirk as Sierra darts up the stairs and soon disappears behind Olmec.  She soon enters the Crypt, where she pulls all three books in the skeletons’ hands before opening the door to the Bottomless Pit (2:48).  She looks around for a second before noticing the door has opened, so she heads into the Pit, where she grabs the rope and swings across.  “She’s doing great so far,” says Kirk as Sierra hits the actuator for the Geographer’s Study, where she finds something and signals back to Jamaal.  “Oh, she found Jamaal’s Pendant—his half-Pendant,” says Kirk as Sierra enters the Geographer’s Study (2:25).  “He might need that if he has to go in!”  Sierra studies the map at the back of the room before looking around for missing pieces, but she can’t seem to find any.  She finally locates a piece on the floor (2:10) and places it to complete the Kamchatka peninsula.  After a few more seconds of looking, she finds Madagascar on the stage-left wall, placing it a few seconds later (1:59).  “She needs one more piece,” remarks Kirk as Sierra looks around.  She spots a piece on the stage-left wall she missed, and places it where Alaska should be on the map.  The sheet covering the ladder up to the Lookout Tower opens, but behind it also lurks the first TEMPLE GUARD (1:50).  “Oh, Temple Guard was behind the door!” says Kirk as Sierra screams.  “She has to give up her Pendant if she wants to continue!”  Sierra fumbles with her Pendant for a second or two before handing it to the Guard, and he steps aside to let her climb the ladder to the Lookout Tower.  She emerges in the room a few seconds later, and heads to the telescope at the front.  Adjusting the knobs, she eventually focuses the device, takes out her mouthpiece, and yells out “Fifteen men on the dead man’s chest,” opening the door to the Shaolin Dojo (1:30).  “That’s it—into the Shaolin Room,” Kirk narrates as Sierra enters the room, heads to the front, and grabs the yin-yang symbol.  She takes it to the stage-left statue and places it in the indentation on its chest, but nothing happens (1:21).  She tries the middle statue, but again, nothing happens (1:16).  “Oh, it’s gotta be that last one!” says Kirk.  Sierra takes the symbol to the stage-right statue and places it, and sure enough, the doors to both the Shrine of the Silver Monkey and the opens; however, the statue’s hands grab Sierra by the wrists—it’s a TEMPLE SPIRIT (1:09).

“Whoa, Temple Guard in the statue!” Kirk shouts as Jamaal takes off.  “I don’t even have to tell him—he’s gone,” says Kirk as Jamaal disappears behind Olmec and is soon seen entering the Crypt.  “He’s got a little under a minute left—can he reach that Headdress in time?” Kirk asks no one in particular.  After stopping to grab the hidden half-Pendant of Life on the Geographer’s Study actuator, Jamaal enters the Study, climbs up to the Lookout Tower (0:48), and enters the Shaolin Dojo, where he looks around before taking the open door to the Shrine.  “Come on, Jamaal—he doesn’t have much time left,” says Kirk as Jamaal heads to the back of the room, where he squeezes onto the ledges to retrieve all three pieces of the statue in one trip.  He brings them back to the pedestal at the front, and places the base with little trouble (0:29).  He then arranges the middle piece, and jams the head down, opening the door to the Lightning Ball Room (0:18).  “That’s it—eighteen seconds as he’s in the Lightning Room,” Kirk narrates as Jamaal heads to the front of the room.  “He has to connect the cords to open the door—he’s only got a few seconds!”  Jamaal fits the two cords on the right into the indentations on the pedestal, then moves to the left side (0:10).  He places them as fast as he can, opening the door to the Pharaoh’s Secret Passage with only a few seconds left.  Jamaal begins to climb down the slide, but time runs out before he can enter the Dungeon.

“Oh, he ran out of time!” says Kirk as Sierra looks disappointed beside him.  “He got lost in the Pharaoh’s Secret Passage—he’ll come out one of these days, but they both gave it a good try, and they still get the bikes for coming on the show.  We’ve gotta get out of here, but we’ll see you next time.  Remember—it’s not just Legends, it’s Legends: Rebirth!  Buh-bye, everybody!”

Kirk and Sierra talk as the credits start to roll.  The camera shows various plant life around the set, and a pair of rubber spiders on the stairs leading up to the Gate.  Much later, Jamaal emerges from the Temple, and Kirk high-fives him before the Stone Stanley logo appears onscreen.

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »

The Eagle Feather Headdress of the Zulu Chieftain
Season 2, Layout 2
Artifact Location
: The Jewel Mine
Team: Orange Iguanas (Jamaal Palmerston & Sierra Stephens)
Pendants: 1½
Result: Ran out of time

To sum up, the bulk of this episode could be considered “filler”.  The Moat was pretty ho-hum, and the most exciting thing about the Steps of Knowledge was the three-way tie near the end of the round.  The Temple Games (especially the second one) were pretty exciting to watch, though, and they really helped bring this episode stand out among the “fillers”.  The Temple Run, though?  Not so much.

Sierra knew what she was doing, but she was incredibly hesitant.  She took a long time trying to locate and place all the pieces in the Geographer’s Study, and had to try all three statues in the Shaolin Dojo.  She was taken out there with just over a minute remaining.

Jamaal was a pretty fast player, and he got quite far in the time he was given, but he failed to notice that the door to the rarely-used passage to the Dark Forest had opened from the Shaolin Dojo when he entered it.  As such, he took the long way around, and had no chance of victory at this point: time ran out on him as he entered the Pharaoh's Secret Passage.

This team was just too hesitant and inattentive in trying to reach the artifact.  If Sierra had moved a bit faster and Jamaal had noticed the open door to the Dark Forest from the Shaolin Dojo, the team could probably have reached the Headdress.  However, with the facts that this team wasn’t fast enough, coupled with as tough as it is to retrieve an artifact from the bottom part of the central shaft, it’s no wonder this episode didn’t end in victory.

Rating: 6 out of 10

Notes and Trivia: This is the first time any two players have tied on the vertical trampoline maze game.

A very rare “Olmec blunder” during the pre-Temple Run rundown—as Dee Baker is giving the standard “other half of your Pendant” speech, he almost re-visits the “hidden inside the Temple” portion he’d already went through.

I seriously hope Kirk never makes any more lame jokes like he did before the first Temple Game… :lol:

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:25:19 AM »
Just curious, but should we assume the decision on the second game was overturned? If they tied and the Iguanas won both of the other games, that would have given them two Pendants (not that it would have changed a whole lot here, but still).  I suppose the other option is giving the first game to the Red Jaguars instead so the Pendant count can remain the same, but it's up to you. ;)

I gotta say I thought the players themselves were somewhat better-thought-out than usual, or at least as much as they CAN be considering they're really only fleshed out for what would be twenty-two minutes on TV.  They somehow felt more detailed, and having a collection of minorities somehow mixed things up— or at least I hope it's just not me paying too much attention to the weirdest details, hahah. :P

Otherwise, I honestly liked Kirk drawing attention to the incredibly lame joke, and the fact that he didn't even want to try with the names in the third game was actually pretty smart of him. :lol: Random moments like that and the Temple Games themselves definitely made this episode a cut above most of the "filler" ones, and just a bit more memorable than many of them.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!