Author Topic: Blackbeard's Treasure Map: Why do Some Call it a Pilot Ep.?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
Blackbeard's Treasure Map: Why do Some Call it a Pilot Ep.?
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »
The consensus in this topic seems to be that "Blackbeard's Treasure Map" was the first episode of Legends. I am not convinced. Pilot episodes are usually simple demonstrations of a show's fundamental concept intended to prove that the concept is viable. As a result, these episodes are taped under a very low budget with a very simplistic set, with mechanics that might differ from the real show when it is picked up. If there was a pilot episode of Legends--which I don't think there was--then we haven't seen it: the set and format in Blackbeard's Treasure Map was just the same as every other Season 1 episode. A pilot episode for Legends would be nearly impossible with its high production value.

So, I don't think there was a pilot episode. Thoughts?

Offline The Bamboo Forest

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »
I wouldn't see why else they would air it as the first episode when Nick GaS put the loop in production order. Unless it was so bad that Nick wanted people to think it was the very first episode. :lol:

Favorite Season: Season Two
Favorite Episode: The Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor
Favorite Team: Orange Iguanas

Favorite Room: The Bamboo Forest

Seen all 120 episodes of Legends.
Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga: The Epitomes of Musical Fart

Fanfiction Projects (On hold): Legends: Wild Jungle

Offline The Mandarin Hand

• Green Monkey
  • Benzibab.
    • View Profile
    • Truncated Power Rangers
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
Pilots aren't always aired.  I feel that while it wasn't the pilot, it was the first real episode of production.

Offline rjaguar3

• Red Jaguar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
I believe the show never taped a pilot.  The show was picked up on a very tight time schedule (around a month and a half)

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
I think it was a pilot because of the way it was produced and such.  The episode was in Layout V from start to finish, unlike "The Golden Cup of Belshazzar," which only became Layout V for the Temple Run.  It seems more logical that that one episode was done a few months beforehand, and the setup was later reused for later in the season, but that's just me.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:14:32 PM »
Theory I've always had speculates that they made a pilot called "Blackbeards Treasure Map" and due to some wierd technichality they had to make another episode with the same title and claim it was the first. There is no way Blackbeards Treasure map was the first episode ever made.

Offline rjaguar3

• Red Jaguar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
Guys, taping was in a two-week period in August 1993.  Kirk was selected as host two weeks before in July 1993.  HMM, the shell production company, wasn't incorporated in California until June 24, 1993.

Kirk has said in his interviews that the show was picked up at the last minute and rushed to production.  There was no pilot that I'm aware of*--hence why the first episode took 18 hours to film.

*Although there certainly were runthroughs, such as Kirk Fogg's running of the temple before each season (as per the WCDB interview).

ETA:  From Fogg himself: "The reason I was a bad host was because I was inexperience and was hired just two weeks before the show went up and the producers had never done a pilot for this show."

(source: http://www.dailyping.com/archive/2001/05/04/ , see http://phantomsden.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=21086&highlight=#21086 for why I think it's legitimate)

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
Like I've said, why else would Nick GaS put it as the first episode in the production-order loop which started in 2007?

Offline Red Jaguars Fan

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • http://freewebs.com/thelightningroom
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 05:16:42 AM »
Blackbeard's Treasure Map could have been intended for the Galileo's Cannonball's production day, but because it was the first day of production, they might have thought 4 episodes were ridiculous, so they postponed and that's why it's #1 episode produced.

Also, maybe contestants or prodution crew members were late and they had to postpone it.

Note that this is a theory.
Favourite Team: Red Jaguars
Favourite Episode: The Jewel-Encrusted Egg of Catherine the Great, tied with the Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugpak and the Lost Hornpipe of the Pirate Captain
Favourite Season: Season 3

When artists like LMFAO, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jespen and Justin Bieber and songs like "Party Rock Anthem", "Call Me Maybe", "Thrift Shop" and others are succeeding in today's music industry and about 99% of the world is buying their shit and any argument you make is followed by nonsense from these people, you would wish the world had ended on 21st December 2012.

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 05:33:36 AM »
I just find it amazing for it not to be the first, if not one of the first, episodes recorded. The atrocity of the temple run just gets me, somehow...

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
*BUMP*

Here's a theory that I don't understand at all:
Quote from: ""On the Belshazzar page of the Legends Wiki, someone""
This was the second episode to begin production, but since taping ran late, the Temple Run was filmed on a day that featured Layout V of the Temple; this was the same result as the first episode, Blackbeard's Treasure Map.

The main issue with that claim would be screencaps throughout the episode:

The Treasure Room combined with the Swamp, proving that this was either Layout IV or Layout V during the Temple Games.

The Pit of Despair rather than the Wall Climb, confirming that this was Layout V.

The Moat crossing was also the same one used in "The Oracle Bowl of Delphi" and those episodes (I know the show had a tendency to use some Moat crossings for multiple production days, but my point still stands).  From the beginning of the episode to the end, it was Layout V.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
Quote from: ""The Bamboo Forest""
I wouldn't see why else they would air it as the first episode when Nick GaS put the loop in production order. Unless it was so bad that Nick wanted people to think it was the very first episode. :lol:

Crossing back to this quote; I did this for silliness, but I'm beginning to think that this might really have been the reason that Nick GaS put it as the first episode. The only thing that I would think make this the very first episode recorded was the atrocious temple run, and possibly GaS wanted us to think that way too. After all, the rest of the episode is filmed "normally" - on the same day as the other four "normal" S1L5 episodes, excluding Belshazzar - and that proves that it could obviously not be a pilot episode or the first episode.

Offline The Mandarin Hand

• Green Monkey
  • Benzibab.
    • View Profile
    • Truncated Power Rangers
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »
It's possible that the Moat/Steps were filmed way before the day of the Games.

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
Quote from: ""The Mandarin Hand""
Pilots aren't always aired.  I feel that while it wasn't the pilot, it was the first real episode of production.

This
Crazy, but that's how it goes.

You don't do nothing you don't wanna do
Be nothing phony about you
Keeping it real and do what you feel
You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
You know, like how the Double Dare pilot was done by creator Geoffrey Darby himself? Maybe either Stone or Stanley did their own pilot before they collaborated with Nickelodeon, or something like that. I think that Legends could even be derived from an earlier Stone Stanley Production, Fun House. I don't think the pilot had to do with Nickelodeon, and even if it did, it was probably too crude to show. Game show pilots aren't like sitcom pilots: they use extremely simplistic sets, and especially with such a complex set design like Legends', it would be far too unprofessional to be aired as a regular episode.

Back to Blackbeard, I really now don't think that it would be a pilot or some sort, let alone the first episode of regular production. Think about it: it shares temple game props and a Moat crossing with the other four episodes taped completely in S1L5, and of course temple layout.

TMH, could you clarify what you mean by your last statement? Do you mean Blackbeard or Belshazzar, because I know for a fact that if it was Blackbeard, then why were the soapy slope, the peanut-filled shaft, and the pulley-pole were all used later in the other S1L5 episodes?