Author Topic: Overrated Contestants?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
I agree with Joel from "The Iron Nose Ring" episode. He wasn't that great of a contestant.

Another one is that kid from the "Moccasins of Geronimo". He had a real lucky and easy path through the temple without completing any real objective. He even started putting the Monkey together after he grabbed the Moccasins.  :roll:

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »
I dunno, the easy path sort of goes for almost any Season 1 win except on the last day, since they had a few more time-consuming rooms then.

I tend to think Mitchell wasn't that bad since he most likely would've otherwise had to go into the Shrine, meet the second guard, and Emily would've had to put the monkey together and then pass into the Dungeon.  I wonder how much of him going down from the Treasure Room was avoiding the Shrine and a guard he thought was there rather than just opening the centerpiece of the room, but I guess we'll never know.
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline Asian Legends Fan

• Olmec
  • Vittujen kev├Ąt ja kyrpien takatalvi, perkele!
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »
Quote from: ""Purple Parrots Fan""
Paula from "Silver Horseshoe of Butch Cassidy." I cannot believe people call her an "amazing player." Its thanks to her the team got to the temple at the skin of their teeth, and she had the easiest temple layout. Lets give Paula the same artifact path, same artifact location, but in a Season 3 temple. Now how much time would she have left on the clock? :roll:

And I know I've ranted about this too many times, but its just my opinion.

What if the Purple Parrots made it to the temple and got the easy path? Think about that. :roll::P
Seen all 120 episodes.
Legends fan since 2002.

Favorite Episode: The Jeweled Scabbard of Sforza
Favorite Team: Blue Barracudas

Favorite Season: Season Two

There's no recess and no rules in the school of life.
Brothers and sisters in metal together will conquer the evil as one.

As I begin this journey through my times
Notes will be spilled under childish rhymes
Of all the things that make me mad
Incomprehensible and iron-clad

Whaddya mean I don't believe in God?! I've talked to him thrice in the Megadeth chatroom!

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:16 AM »
Quote from: ""Asian Legends Fan""
Paula from "Silver Horseshoe of Butch Cassidy." I cannot believe people call her an "amazing player." Its thanks to her the team got to the temple at the skin of their teeth, and she had the easiest temple layout. Lets give Paula the same artifact path, same artifact location, but in a Season 3 temple. Now how much time would she have left on the clock? :roll:

And I know I've ranted about this too many times, but its just my opinion.

What if the Purple Parrots made it to the temple and got the easy path? Think about that. :roll::P
Then it would have proved the Purple Parrots were actually a stronger team and COULD pull off an easy win. They could have had their first victory MUCH sooner than when they finally won in "Snakeskin Boots." :roll: The Purple Parrots deserved to go to the temple in that episode, they really should have won that third game. They didn't go to the temple very often, even though Season 2 was their only good year. Sure, the Orange Iguanas had a bad lose-win ratio and needed a win too, but they had so many opportunities and just never used them very much. If the Purple Parrots won with the easy path, I would have been happy for them. If they won with 1:20 left on the clock, I would have been happy for them too. I just....find it mind boggling how everyone thinks Paula is this "amazing all star" player. :P

Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 11:44:49 AM »
Even though I do believe that paula did deserve to go to temple (She touched the ground but she was still holding on the the horse), she still was a very bad player. Something no one seems to point out, Paula was a direct path taker, she tried to take the direct path to the object. I always assumed she tried the throne pit door and it didn't work, but when I saw that she took the heart room pit door I was very disapointed.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
Of course, knowing you, you'd NEVER let that pass. :roll:

I'm not up on the general concensus regarding Tarrah or Jennifer from "The Belly Button of Buddha," but both players were extremely lucky considering they pulled off the only solo wins with two Pendants (the less a team had, the further out of the way the Temple Guards were, right?).  I will admit Jennifer's strategy was clever for a Season 1 player, but neither was that fast or had THE best sense of direction, so yeah.

Then we have Yakerra, who I'm actually going to defend.  I mean, I admit she tried to take the Temple Guard door out at first, but her speed was almost on par with Zac Turney's in terms of getting out (compare her 21 seconds to escape after trying the guard door to Zac's 19 seconds) and she knew exactly what to do in each room.  I personally didn't think she was that bad (I mean, let's see Mitchell or Bobby pull off wins in less than two minutes in Season 3).
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline The Bamboo Forest

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
Direct path dosen't necessarily mean that a contestant is an idiot or overrated. :roll:

I don't think that anyone really called Paula a great player, but I never liked her - and I'm an Orange Iguanas fan. But think PPF, people like Tarrah (yeah, I know, it's weird coming from me...) and Randy weren't that great either. And Randy dosen't have the best exit planning.

This topic doesn't really bode well for discussion...

Favorite Episode: The Lucky Pillow of Annie Taylor
Favorite Team: Orange Iguanas

Favorite Room: The Bamboo Forest

Seen all 120 episodes of Legends.
Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga: The Epitomes of Musical Fart

Fanfiction Projects (On hold): Legends: Wild Jungle

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
Maybe I'd sound more tolerant if I just looked at my favorite team? ^^;

But yeah, I covered the big one with Jennifer from the Belly Button episode.  Jennifer from John Sutter was pretty good, Mitchell might've been a better strategist than we give him credit for, Missy was just checking the Medusa's Lair door in case IMO since she did very well otherwise...

Brett really wasn't that good, though.  I'll give him credit for trying the door up from the Dark Forest and all, but his plans getting out were just as bad as Randy's. (What gets me is why Randy gets all the flack though; nobody seems to mention Brett.)

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »
The problem with this topic is that fanboys and fangirls are gonna start flaming other teams - and other people - and defending their own. That's not good.

More on overrated players; I hate to break "my rule", but really many Purple Parrots indeed are overrated IMO. Randy and Tony are just some examples - Tony pulled an Icarus - but also Tarrah like TAW said. I love all the Purple Parrots wins, but they weren't amazing wins.

On the other hand, I defend Shane because he passed through nine rooms. Five of them had considerably harder objectives, and a 10-second elevator ride had to be included as well. He is definitely above the average.

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 04:50:49 PM »
I can see what you're saying, though.  The Parrots' wins were all done with very few seconds left, so they were more exciting than anything.  I got that same feeling from the Very Tall Turban run the first time I saw it; the tension seemed to build with every room because you kept feeling he was going to get caught.

But yeah, this topic isn't for people who are intolerant, but I like to think we're above flaming one another. ^^; Sorry if I sound like a staff member when I say that...

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:23:58 AM »
Why do people here consider contestants like Missy overrated just for trying to take the direct path?  :roll:

Sure, she tried pressing the actuator for the door leading to Medusa's Lair, but she only wasted like five seconds by doing that. Hell, by climbing the wall, she also tried the door to the Observatory, which could've been one of the paths to the artifacts (luckily it wasnt.) She didn't make any stupid mistakes during the rest of the run. She even took the Forest-Shrine passage, which saved her a lot of time. Those center of the temple runs were sure tricky.  :?

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Seriously, I can't believe Missy can be considered a "bad player" just because she tried the "direct path." Plenty of contestants do that, so why does only Missy get crapped on for it? We should be greatful she even pulled off a victory with an artifact in the center of the room. And what TRJ said, she didn't make a singe other mistake other than that. :roll:

And as far as Silver Horseshoe goes, I'm not too concered about the "direct path" there either. I just hate how it was such an extremely easy win. I guess everyones right about the Purple Parrots too. But at least the Purple Parrots pulled off SOME victories. I find it sad how they only got to the temple 11 times, where as all the other teams only got to the temple like 20 times. So at least they had something. They may not have been exciting wins, but they had something. :?

And yeah, this doesn't really bode well for discussion either. Don't we already have topics similar to this? (Like the "most undeserving" thread).

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »
For the record, I never gave Missy any crap; I agree with RJF and PPF wholeheartedly.

As for Paula, I admit the combination of rooms was pretty easy, but either way, I still kinda like this one as it's the first Orange Iguanas win in the series. (Still, I totally can see that it should've been the first Parrots win instead.)

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
    • The Bamboo Forest
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
If the theory on Medusa was a late shipment is correct, maybe the path wouldn't have been so easy. The crew probably sets up the path beforehand and maybe they wanted the team to pass through the four-snake Medusa's Lair. But because it never arrived on the first day of filming, they had to use the Heart Room instead...

Just sayin'. I usually don't think the crew gives such easy wins, especially on the first day.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Overrated Contestants?
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 02:58:34 PM »
Seriously, I can't believe Missy can be considered a "bad player" just because she tried the "direct path." Plenty of contestants do that, so why does only Missy get crapped on for it? We should be greatful she even pulled off a victory with an artifact in the center of the room. And what TRJ said, she didn't make a singe other mistake other than that. :roll:

And as far as Silver Horseshoe goes, I'm not too concered about the "direct path" there either. I just hate how it was such an extremely easy win. I guess everyones right about the Purple Parrots too. But at least the Purple Parrots pulled off SOME victories. I find it sad how they only got to the temple 11 times, where as all the other teams only got to the temple like 20 times. So at least they had something. They may not have been exciting wins, but they had something. :?

Exactly, I never short-change a player for taking the direct path to the artifact if they manage to win. Okay, its stupid for people like Leah and Missy to believe that they can get to the artifact by simply pressing the actuator to the room from the pit. But that doesn't mean they were dumb just for trying to take the direct path. Besides, a lot of wins have the players taking the direct path.

The only time I can't stand when a team takes the direct path is in runs like "The Pendant of Kamehameha" or "The Paintbrush of Leonardo Da Vinci". Especially when the team had less than two pendants. In the pendant episode, if Robbie didn't take the direct path, the team wouldn't have encountered a third guard. Or if the Orange Iguanas didn't take the direct path in the paintbrush episodes, they wouldn't have encountered that deadend. Luckily, it was mostly first season runs when this happened.