To submit or not to submit

Author Topic: To submit or not to submit  (Read 1526 times)

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »
That is the question, and I've been thinking about it for the last few weeks.

I recently made a video that has clips of Legends synced up with music. I want to submit it to YouTube but I don't want to run the risk of lawsuit. I've gotten mixed advice as to if I should upload it or not. Some people claim that, at the worst, I'd get deleted, a few have told me I may get threatened with legal action, which is something I'm not about to jump into.

So what do you guys think?
Crazy, but that's how it goes.

You don't do nothing you don't wanna do
Be nothing phony about you
Keeping it real and do what you feel
You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

Offline The Ancient Warrior

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
  • Peace, joy and omelettes!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ancientwarrior07/index.htm
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
I think deletion's the worst that can happen.  i mean, there's other videos on YouTube with excerpts of Legends.  Like the "Red Jaguars spirit week theme" video has parts of "The Collar of Davy Crockett," and another one has Olmec's rundown from "John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Gold Mine" as the only sound.

It doesn't seem too risky a move (but just slap on a "Legends is copyright 1993-1995 Viacom" label if you're worried.) i say go for it!
If you have seen all 120 full episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your profile for all to see.

The Room of the Ancient Warriors | Legends: The Rediscovery (Season 3 resumption date TBD)

Favorite episode: The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus
Favorite season: Season 2, very closely followed by Season 3
Favorite team: Blue Barracudas

Credit to Nicklegends for the screencap in the avatar and for Mr. Blue.  Thanks dude!

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 02:58:37 PM »
Yeah, I'd day go for it too. Just like TAW said, put something like "1993-1995 Viacom" if you're worried it might get deleted.

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »
Quote from: ""Purple Parrots Fan""
Yeah, I'd day go for it too. Just like TAW said, put something like "1993-1995 Viacom" if you're worried it might get deleted.

The video and or my account deleted are the least of my problems, it's lawsuits I'm worried about.

EDIT: I know I sound paranoid, but a few people have told me that they were threatened with lawsuit.

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:05:04 PM »
Quote from: ""PhantomBPR""

The video and or my account deleted are the least of my problems, it's lawsuits I'm worried about.

EDIT: I know I sound paranoid, but a few people have told me that they were threatened with lawsuit.

Understandable, I wouldn't worry about it to much. Unless you sell the video and make profit I doubt viacom would waste money suing some 16 year old who put 4 minutes of fotage from a 90's gameshow on a nonprofit website.

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 05:19:27 PM »
Quote from: ""outer space""

Understandable, I wouldn't worry about it to much. Unless you sell the video and make profit I doubt viacom would waste money suing some 16 year old who put 4 minutes of fotage from a 90's gameshow on a nonprofit website.

Well that's how I felt too at first, but after reading this, I actually feel better about the whole idea, I'm reconsidering submitting it.

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

Offline Medusa

• Green Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 05:26:06 PM »
I think at the worst is getting deleted, the video that is, and maybe your account, maybe.

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »
Well 5/5 say I should go for it. I think that's kinda unanimous. Well thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to submit it.

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:01:14 AM »
By the way if you do get a lawsuit please don't use the above coments as your testamony against us.

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
Quote from: ""outer space""
By the way if you do get a lawsuit please don't use the above coments as your testamony against us.

If I do get into a lawsuit I'm hunting down every last damn one of you and have you testify on my behalf.  :mrgreen:

(Don't take that seriously)

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 06:54:46 PM »
Well for those of you who don't know, it's online. Now it's just a matter of time. Hopefully it will remain. Thanks to all those who gave advice, as well as those of you who enjoyed my video. It took alot of effort, I'm glad it wasn't for naught.

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

Offline Piranesi

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 07:05:03 PM »
Unanimously, yes.  Look what happens with stuff from other shows, bands, music in general.  Deletion at worst.  And even then, deletion is unlikely.  Montages or highlight reels are more acceptable than raw footage.

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 07:16:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Piranesi""
Unanimously, yes.  Look what happens with stuff from other shows, bands, music in general.  Deletion at worst.  And even then, deletion is unlikely.  Montages or highlight reels are more acceptable than raw footage.

That's pretty much what this one was anyway. I'm quite proud of it, I'm hoping it will remain.

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

Offline Piranesi

• Orange Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 07:17:43 PM »
Quote from: ""Piranesi""

That's pretty much what this one was anyway. I'm quite proud of it, I'm hoping it will remain.

Have you uploaded it yet?  Post it here when you do, and put the URL in your signature.

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »
I posted the link in the YouTube thread, but just in case someone misses it. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IoseJdcXIA

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!