Phantom's Temple

Temple gates (info) => The Steps of Knowledge => Topic started by: nicklegends on August 06, 2009, 02:18:27 AM

Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: nicklegends on August 06, 2009, 02:18:27 AM
One problem with the internet and online forums is that sarcasm sucks. It's very difficult to convey messages with a mocking but playful spirit because written text lacks the same subtleties--like variances in tone, gesturing, etc.--that spoken words have. What usually ends up happening online is somebody gets offended without the original poster meaning any harm.

Indeed, we've had two instances on the forum recently where remarks were taken personally. In these situations, no member is right and no member is wrong. Really, the blame can be soaked up by the unfortunate medium we have to work with. Even then, these cases add a bit of unnecessary, albeit temporary, stress to the forum. To lessen the frequency of this happening, might I offer a few suggestions:

These are obviously suggestions and not rules. Choose to follow them if you wish. Happy posting. :)
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: Red Jaguars Fan on August 06, 2009, 03:13:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, nicklegends. :D
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: The Bamboo Forest on August 06, 2009, 04:45:57 AM
What I'd like to request is for members to put a "J/K" or "Thats a joke BTW" or just something to identify that it's not a serious comment when the content of the post may be offensive or irritating to some.

Don't wanna rent a mod, but just a suggestion. :wink:
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: The Ancient Warrior on August 06, 2009, 04:04:06 PM
I think I'm fairly good at expressing it myself.  The way I type sentences is usually such that I capitalize specific words where, if I were speaking, I'd be noticeably louder and/or put more emphasis or a stronger tone.

I generally use either ":P" or "[/sarcasm]" to indicate sarcasm if I really think it's not clear, though.
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: The Dark Enforcer on August 13, 2009, 10:23:40 PM
Quote from: ""The Ancient Warrior""
The way I type sentences is usually such that I capitalize specific words where, if I were speaking, I'd be noticeably louder and/or put more emphasis or a stronger tone..

That's why I used to use caps to reflect emphasis. But then Ed comes along and says that my "emphasis" makes it hard to read what I'm saying. He even noted it in an email:
Quote from: ""nicklegends""
P.S. Your "emphasis" makes your e-mails difficult to read.


Now, I'm not saying that Ed was wrong in asking me to change the way that I type, but I knew that I'd be safer if I used caps. So Ed, might I break our deal if I think that it would be safer to use caps? It's just that those darn bold tags are annoying to enter by hand!
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: nicklegends on August 13, 2009, 11:00:42 PM
It's just that I find it DIFFICULT to READ messages that use such inconsistent FORMATTING!!!! It disrupts the flow of the text!!

[/sarcasm]

I'm not trying to rob you of your individuality, Bob; I'm just suggesting that your posts may be easier to read if you rely on italics and such. It's probably just a pet peeve of mine that causes nobody else any issue... When it comes to sarcasm, you can try using the classic end sarcasm tag "[/sarcasm]" or maybe an eye-rolling smiley: :roll:. There's no right way to do it, and I don't intend to go on a full lecture about it. So do what you want. Sometimes I feel people take these topics too seriously. :P Relax.
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: The Dark Enforcer on August 13, 2009, 11:05:03 PM
Quote from: ""nicklegends""
It's just that I find it DIFFICULT to READ messages that use such inconsistent FORMATTING!!!! It disrupts the flow of the text!!

[/sarcasm]

I'm not trying to rob you of your individuality, Bob; I'm just suggesting that your posts may be easier to read if you rely on italics and such. It's probably just a pet peeve of mine that causes nobody else any issue... When it comes to sarcasm, you can try using the classic end sarcasm tag "[/sarcasm]" or maybe an eye-rolling smiley: :roll:. There's no right way to do it, and I don't intend to go on a full lecture about it. So do what you want. Sometimes I feel people take these topics too seriously. :lol: :lol: That sure was a funny post to read. [/sarcasm]

















J/K, Ed! That was fucking hilarious!!! *Hugs Ed and pats Ed on head like hockey player*
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: nicklegends on August 13, 2009, 11:08:25 PM
Better. :)
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: The Dark Enforcer on August 13, 2009, 11:12:38 PM
Quote from: ""nicklegends""
Better. :)


Thank you, ED! But seriously, you don't mind the hug and pat on the head do you? :wink:
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: Asian Legends Fan on August 13, 2009, 11:21:11 PM
I don't see anything wrong about the caps - I know it's emphasis - but keep in mind that it is an internet tradition to be shouting if you type in caps. And you could tone down the quantity of the exclamation marks too.

Not an attempt at flaming, but just my two cents.
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: The Dark Enforcer on August 13, 2009, 11:25:33 PM
Quote from: ""Asian Legends Fan""
And you could tone down the quantity of the exclamation marks too.

Not an attempt at flaming, but just my two cents.


I'll try. But that doesn't mean that I won't fire off an occasional "!!!!!!!!!!!!" once in a while. Or does it? :wink:
Title: Sarcasm Advice
Post by: Asian Legends Fan on August 13, 2009, 11:26:57 PM
Well, if it's reasonable. Like when your head lands on the "Shift" and "1" keys. :D