Author Topic: The Top 80 Greatest Nickelodeon Shows of All Time  (Read 1994 times)

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
  • Okay, I finally have a tagline. Happy now?
    • View Profile
The Top 80 Greatest Nickelodeon Shows of All Time
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »

The 80 Greatest Nickelodeon Shows of All Time

As some of you may have seen from my previous posts, I've been working on a little project to determine which shows that debuted or famously aired on Nickelodeon are the best of the best.  After some research, ranking and writing, I feel I have come up with a halfway decent list of 80 shows which I think are the best Nick ever had.  I considered about 90 shows for this list (the ten that didn't make the cut will be my "honorable mentions"), and I devised a ranking system of five separate categories, in which I gave each show a value from 1 to 100.  Each show's five values were added up, and the total is the final score I used to rank each show on this countdown.

My five categories I rated each show in are:

Popularity: How popular was the show during its initial run on Nick?  Shows that didn't do well in the ratings won't get high scores here.
Originality: Was the show the first/foremost of its kind?  Shows that are reworkings of previously done programs will not score high here.
Longevity: How long did the show run initially?  Longer-running shows will rank higher here.
Nostalgia: How well-remembered is the show in question?  More recent shows will not get a very high score here.
Impact: Did the show have a sizable impact on future Nick shows or television in general?  Again, current shows will not rank high here.

Anyhow, I invite you to sit back and count down along with me, as we take a trip through the annals of time to discover some of the greatest shows Nick has ever broadcast, as well as a few shows you may not have ever heard of.  Remember, I'm ranking these shows by influence, so it's not necessarily which show is better-liked than others (though entertainment value does play a big part), but which shows define Nickelodeon the most.  I'll be providing brief histories of each show I rank, as well as what each show's total value is that it managed to rack up.  Feel free to comment on my choices or offer your insights at any time on this thread.  That being said, let's get started!

NOTE: For anyone who wants to learn more about Nickelodeon's early history, I invite you to go to THIS WEBSITE.  It gives a very detailed and interesting account of how Nickelodeon came to be, as well as cool inside information about lots of early Nickelodeon shows.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:37:55 PM by The Bandit King »
Favorite Episode: The Secret Map of the Bandit Queen
Favorite Room: The Chamber of the Sacred Markers
Favorite Team: Blue Barracudas

It's baaaaaaaack...
Legends of the Hidden Temple: Rebirth! (return date TBD)

1980s - Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, etc.
1990s - Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Nirvana, etc.
Present - Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc.
You do the math.

"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the questions!"
--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: The Top 80 Greatest Nickelodeon Shows of All Time
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »
The Honorable Mentions: #90-#81

Let’s start off by taking a look at ten shows that didn’t quite make the cut:

#90: The Penguins of Madagascar
Aired: November 29, 2008-present

Following the success of the animated film Madagascar, creators Tom McGrath and Eric Darnell created a spin-off cartoon series starring perhaps the most-remembered characters from the movie: the penguins.  Taking place after the second Madagascar film and debuting on Thanksgiving weekend 2008, the show chronicled the (mis)adventures of the four titular birds in the Central Park Zoo. After becoming the highest-watched premiere of any Nicktoon, the show continues to air on Nick to this day, continuing to draw high ratings.

Scores:  High popularity; Low originality; Very low longevity, nostalgia and impact
Total: 169 points

#89: The Brothers Garcia
Aired: July 23, 2000-August 8, 2004

One of the first projects of the eventual founders of Latino channel NuvoTV, this sharp-witted sitcom centered around a middle-class Latin-American family known as the Garcias.  In the same veil as The Wonder Years, the adult version of the main character, Ray (the voice of John Leguizamo) narrates each episode in a sarcastic manner.  The show won a Young Artist Award for Best Family TV Comedy Series and lasted for a whopping four seasons, but was cancelled in 2004 due to low ratings.

Scores: Above-average popularity; Low longevity, nostalgia and impact; Very low originality
Total: 172 points

#88:  iCarly
Aired: September 8, 2007-present

Currently one of the highest-rated shows on Nick, this eccentric sitcom follows the exploits of middle-school girl Carly Shay (played by Miranda Cosgrove) and her web-based show.  The show has exploded in popularity in the “tween” fanbase since debuting, and it’s currently one of the most-watched shows on Nickelodeon.  The show won a Kids’ Choice Award for Favorite Kids TV Show in 2009, and Cosgrove also won a Young Artist Award for Best Leading Young Actress in a TV Series the same year, despite the show receiving mixed to bad reviews from critics.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate originality, Very low nostalgia, longevity and impact
Total:  182 points

#87: 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd
Aired: October 16, 1999-April 21, 2002

Co-created by veteran TV producer Nat Bernstein, this interesting show followed the exploits of school bully Eddie McDowd, who is punished for his bad behavior by a man known simply as “The Drifter”. After turning Eddie into a dog, the Drifter informs Eddie he must do 100 good deeds if he wants to become human again.  The show followed Eddie’s (voiced by Seth Green) exploits to become human again by performing good deeds alongside Justin, the last kid he bullied (who is the only person who can hear Eddie talk). The show was cancelled after two seasons due to bad ratings, leaving Eddie with 57 deeds left to go, but the show was a huge hit in Europe, and was released on DVD there.

Scores:  High originality; Low popularity; Very low longevity, nostalgia and impact
Total: 184 points

#86: Big Time Rush
Aired: November 28, 2009-present

The youngest show in the Honorable Mentions, this popular sitcom debuted in late 2009, following the exploits of four ex-hockey players from Minnesota that are inexplicably selected to become a boy band.  Its debut was watched by 7.1 million people, making it Nick’s highest-rated debut of a live-action series and third-highest rated for a debut ever.  The show has been panned, with some critics calling it Nick’s attempt to create a Jonas Brothers-style pop group, but nonetheless, it remains popular, and has been renewed for a third season in 2012.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate originality; Very low longevity, nostalgia and impact
Total: 191 points

#85: The Troop
Aired: September 18, 2009-present

Described as “Men in Black at a suburban high school”, The Troop is the second-youngest show in the top 90.  Revolving around a group of teens who fight and capture monsters, ghosts, and other supernatural phenomena in the town of Lakewood, the show garnered 3.5 million viewers in its premiere, and continues to finish strong in the ratings, having been renewed for a third season in 2012.

Scores: High popularity; Above average originality; Very low longevity, nostalgia and impact
Total: 198 points

#84: Scaredy Camp
Aired: October 27, 2002-August 16, 2003

Considered Nick’s first “reality show”, this short-lived program is nonetheless a pivotal moment in Nick history.  Hosted by Emma Wilson (the daughter of Anne Robinson from The Weakest Link), the show revolved around kids trying to find clues about an urban legend surrounding the summer camp they were attending.  After two seasons, the show was cancelled, but reruns were seen on Nick GaS until 2005.

Scores: Above average popularity and originality; Low longevity and impact; Very low nostalgia
Total: 201 points

#83: Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!
Aired: August 28, 2006-February 21, 2010

Considered one of the more popular shows to ever air on the Nick Jr. block, this show also holds the distinction of being the first cartoon ever animated by Adobe Flash to air on Nickelodeon.  Each episode follows the exploits of Wubbzy the cat (voiced by Grey DeLisle, who also provided the voice of Sam on Danny Phantom) and his friends.  The show was among the highest-rated in Nick Jr. history, only surpassed in viewers at one point in time by Dora the Explorer.  The series finale aired in 2010, after just under four years on Nick.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate longevity; Low impact; Very low originality and nostalgia
Total: 209 points

#82: BrainSurge
Aired: September 28, 2009-present

Due to the success of the short-lived My Family’s Got GUTS, the first game show to air on Nickelodeon in over five years, Scott Stone from Stone Stanley productions decided to take a Japanese game show called Brain Survivor and modify it into a new kid’s game show.  Hosted by Jeff Sutphen (formerly known as PickBoy from UPick Live), the show tests children’s memories while employing the oh-so-familiar concept of messiness in the form of Slime, Gak, and other disgusting semi-liquid substances Nickelodeon audiences have come to know and love.  Currently the only game show airing on any Nickelodeon subsidiary, many fans cling to the hope that it will spark new interest in the waning kid’s game show genre.

Scores: High popularity; Low originality and impact; Very low longevity and nostalgia
Total: 218 points

#81: Kids Court
Aired: September 3, 1988-September 5, 1993

The only show in the Honorable Mentions to debut in the 80’s, this interesting show took letters mailed by kids to Nickelodeon studios involving their grievances, such as low allowance or unfair punishment for doing something wrong.  The host (actor/comedian Paul Provenza) would present the “case” to the in-studio audience, and the two children would argue their particular side of the case.  The audience then voted on which side they chose using applause, and the loudest (measured by the “Judge-O-Meter”) won.  It is still unknown what (if anything) the children who sent in the complaints via mail got.

Scores: Very high originality and longevity; High popularity; Very low nostalgia and impact
Total: 224 points
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:44:15 PM by The Bandit King »

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline Green Monkey Warrior

• I know tidbits of teen life!
  • Taken out
  • Kirk Level
  • Guess what I am? A GIRL, LIKE PPF!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
Yay, iCarly and BTR made it on the honorable mentions! Wonder where Victorious will be... :roll:
Favorite Team: Green Monkeys, with the Blue Barracudas hot on their heels
Favorite Episode: The Jeweled Scabbard of Sforza, followed closely by The Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugpak
Favorite Room: The Room of the Ancient Warriors (here's to you, TAW)

I've been a Legends fan since 1999, FYI!

"I will pose if I wanna, and I will vogue like Madonna!"— Victoria Justice :mrpurple: :mrorange:

Much love to the Green Monkeys, you hear? :mrgreen:
Proud to be a Green Monkey in particular!

A timeline of pop music:
'80s: Michael Jackson (R.I.P. :( ), Madonna, U2
'90s: Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, 'Nsync
'00s/'10s: Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Selena Gomez

All I want is everything 'cause too much isn't enough!

No booty calls, John and Tia!

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
It should be coming up soon. What with how recent the show is and how TBK may score it.

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »
Congratulations to all my Honorable Mentions. YOU LOST! :lol:

Now, let’s get on with the actual countdown:

#80: Back At the Barnyard
Aired: September 29, 2007-November 12, 2011

A spin-off of the 2006 animated film Barnyard, this CGI show was the second project for its creator, Steve Oedekerk (he was an executive producer for Jimmy Neutron).  This semi-popular NickToon picks up essentially where the film leaves off, following the exploits of Otis the bull and his farmyard friends as they concoct harebrained schemes to move up in the world, all while hiding their shenanigans from the human characters on the show.  Though several main characters from the movie did not appear in the show, it was quite popular, despite the controversy of the show giving udders to Otis and other male cattle characters.  After a run of over four years, the show sadly concluded one month ago, with 52 full episodes aired.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate longevity; Low originality; Very low nostalgia and impact
Total: 231 points

#79: Pelswick
Aired: October 2, 2000-November 15, 2002

Created by Canadian animation studio Nelvana (which also gave us Care Bears and 6Teen), Pelswick debuted on Nick in 2000 to much fanfare.  The show revolved around Pelswick Eggert, a wheelchair-bound teenage boy struggling to live a normal life in his hometown.  Pelswick’s paraplegia meant that this was the first time the main protagonist of a cartoon had a serious physical disability.  Despite its groundbreaking concept, the show only aired 26 episodes over two seasons, and was finally pulled in 2002 due to waning interest.

Scores: Very high originality; Above average popularity; Moderate impact; Low longevity and nostalgia
Total: 238 points

#78: Animorphs
Aired: September 15, 1998-October 8, 1999

Based on the highly-popular book series by K.A. Applegate, Animorphs premiered as part of the NickelOZone block in late 1998.  Like the book series, the show dealt with the adventures of a group of teenagers who were given the power to transform into animals by a dying alien in order to fight a group of mind-controlling parasites.  Each episode was based on a particular book in the series, and was notably darker than most shows on Nick at the time.  Sadly, waning popularity and budget cuts brought about the cancellation of the series a little over a year after its debut.

Scores: Moderate popularity, nostalgia and impact; Low originality; Very low longevity
Total: 242 points

#77: Fifteen
Aired: February 3, 1991-April 25, 1993

Another Canadian production, this series is considered to be Nick’s first and only “soap opera”.  First conceived for the Disney Channel, the show was picked up by Nickelodeon in early 1991, and followed the lives of high school students in the fictional Hillside High School (the show was originally called Hillside when it first aired in Canada).  While initially popular, the show drew criticism for playing very heavily into stereotypes.  Nevertheless, the show helped jump-start the careers of many young actors, such as Ryan Reynolds and Lisa Ortiz (who went on to voice many characters in English anime dubs).

Scores: High popularity; Above average longevity; Low impact; Very low originality and nostalgia
Total: 247 points

#76: Drake & Josh
Aired: January 11, 2004-September 16, 2007

After their stints on The Amanda Show, Drake Bell and Josh Peck were cast by actor/producer Dan Schneider (who had previously produced All That and Kenan & Kel) in a new teen sitcom that was very hyped.  The titular characters starred as stepbrothers, along with Drake’s sister Megan, played by Miranda Cosgrove.  The show consistently scored very high in the ratings, and the series’ Christmas special was among the highest-watched programs in Nickelodeon history.  The show ended its run in 2011, but reruns continue to be shown on Nick, and Cosgrove continues to entertain young viewers on iCarly.

Scores: Very high popularity; Moderate longevity and impact; Low originality and nostalgia
Total: 252 points

#75: Out of Control
Aired: October 7, 1984-May 1, 1985

This show was the first series produced specifically for Nickelodeon (You Can’t Do That on Television had been around longer, but wasn’t a Nick original).  Hosted by comedian Dave Coulier (later known as Joey on Full House), the show was an early kid’s sketch comedy series that featured many kooky characters.  Various segments on the show brought a semi-educational flair to it as well, including “Let’s Eat”, a segment in which Dave travels to popular restaurants across America, and “How Not to Do Things”, a humorous segment that showed viewers the improper way to do a certain task.  Despite being among the first shows shown on Nick, it was canceled after about seven months, and that’s why it ranks so low.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate longevity and impact; Low longevity and nostalgia
Total: 262 points

#74: PopClips
Aired: Late 1980-March 31, 1981

Before there was MTV, there was PopClips.  First conceived by former Monkee Mike Nesmith, the show was produced in 1979 and picked up by Nickelodeon as one of the first shows on their program block.  Watering down the comedy and spoken dialogue from veejays Jeff Michalski and Howie Mandel (yes, that Howie Mandel), the show aired music videos from popular artists of the day, such as The Police, The Pretenders, Kim Carnes, and Toto.  The show wasn’t around for long, and due to budget cuts by the fledgling Nickelodeon network, was cancelled mere months after its debut.

Scores: Very high originality; High popularity; Low impact; Very low longevity and nostalgia
Total: 268 points

#73: Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide
Aired: September 7, 2004-June 9, 2007

Created by Scott Fellows (the main writer for The Fairly OddParents), this show actually began as a pilot episode in September 2003, but did not become an actual series until one year later.  This teen sitcom followed the exploits of students Ned, Cookie and Moze as they dealt with dilemmas and difficult situations in their middle school.  Ned would offer tips to the viewers in the form of a “survival guide”, which would then usually be illustrated by an example by the students.  The show won the Global Entertainment Award for best children’s program of the millennium in 2009, and most episodes have been released on DVD.

Scores: High popularity and longevity; Moderate nostalgia; Low originality and impact
Total: 273 points

#72: Kids’ Writes
Aired: December 5, 1982-November 29, 1987

Another early example of originality, this unique show was hosted by veteran kids’ guitarist Jim Mairs, and featured four comedic performers.  Basically, the show functioned similarly to Whose Line Is It Anyway?, with one difference: suggestions were mailed in by kids in the form of short stories they had written.  The cast of the show were read the story or song by Mairs, and then acted it all out from beginning to end.  Props, aside from the highly unique set, were never used.  The show ceased production in 1983, but reruns were shown on Nick up until 1987, when the show was pulled to make room for more original programming.

Scores: Very high originality and longevity; Moderate popularity; Very low nostalgia and impact
Total: 279 points

#71: All Grown Up!
Aired: April 12, 2003-August 17, 2008

Capitalizing on the success of their awesome Nicktoon, Rugrats, creators Arlene Klasky and Gabor Csupo decided to create a special involving their little tykes for their 10th anniversary, speculating what the babies might be like when they were teenagers.  When that became a smash, this long-running spin-off series was made.  Following the adventures of Tommy, Chuckie, Angelica and the rest of the former Rugrats, the show’s premiere garnered 3.2 million viewers, making it the highest-rated premiere on Nick at the time (it has since fallen to fourth place).  The show was cancelled in 2008, four years after the plug was pulled on Rugrats itself, and reruns continue to be seen on Nickelodeon and the Nicktoons network.

Scores: High popularity and longevity; Moderate nostalgia; Low impact; Very low originality
Total: 281 points

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
I used to LOVE Pelswick! I thought it was such a funny show, and it's a shame it got canned too soon. I have never heard of PopClips or Kids' Writes, but granted that was way before my time. I can't believe Howie Mandel was on the former show I mentioned. The more you know I guess. :lol:

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
Nice list! I am excited to see some lost Nickelodeon shows that are overshadowed by popular Nick shows on your list.

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
#70: Kappa Mikey
Aired: February 25, 2006-September 20, 2008

Branded as “the first anime to be produced in the United States”, this ‘toon was essentially a parody of any and all things anime.  The show (whose title is a parody of kappamaki, a type of sushi) revolved around the titular character of Mikey, who wins a contest to star in a passé “anime” show in Japan, where he meets several characters that personify many stereotypes of anime characters, such as flaming eyes or heads becoming larger when a character is angry.  The show ran for a total of 52 episodes over two seasons, and the full first season has been released on DVD.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate originality; Low longevity; Very low nostalgia and impact
Total: 283 points

#69: Standby: Lights, Camera, Action!
Aired: May 1982-December 31, 1987

At one point in 1983, this was Nickelodeon’s highest-rated show.  Hosted by Leonard Nimoy (best known for playing Mr. Spock on Star Trek), Standby was designed to inform children about various aspects of the film industry, dealing with innumerable topics from Star Wars and Monty Python (the former episode of which the clip above is from) to Fred Astaire and Jackie Gleason.  Nimoy was often quoted as saying that Standby was his favorite show to do after Star Trek, and veteran British actor John Cleese called it “an excellent show for kids of all ages”.  One day shy of 1988, Standby was cancelled by Nickelodeon in an attempt to bring more “edgy” programming to their network.

Scores: Very high popularity; High originality and longevity; Very low nostalgia and impact
Total: 285 points

#68: The Backyardigans
Aired: November 22, 2004-present

One of the longest-running programs in Nickelodeon history, The Backyardigans, like Pelswick, was originally produced by Nelvana.  In each episode, the five main characters (each one voiced by an actual child) play in their backyard, using their imaginations to take them various places, such as the jungle or outer space.  Another interesting aspect of the show is its choreographic nature: each dance on the show was first performed by actual live dancers, and then translated into the CGI animation.  After a lengthy run of about seven years, new episodes stopped airing, but reruns continue to be broadcast on the Nick Jr. programming block.

Scores: High popularity and longevity; Low originality, nostalgia and impact
Total: 290 points

#67: Caitlin’s Way
Aired: March 11, 2000-April 8, 2002

This live-action teen drama was co-created by Thomas W. Lynch, who also produced The Secret World of Alex Mack.  Debuting in early 2000, the show revolved around Caitlin Seeger (played by fledgling actress Lindsay Felton), who was sent to live on her aunt’s horse ranch in Montana after being arrested in her hometown of Philadelphia.  The show became a moderate success due to the down-to-earth nature of several episodes.  The show was initially fairly popular, but ratings soon began to slip when the show started to take on a darker personage.  After being cancelled, the show was moved to The N for several years before disappearing completely.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate originality and longevity; Low nostalgia and impact
Total: 299 points

#66: Make the Grade
Aired: October 2, 1989-December 29, 1991

Finally, we come to the first game show on this countdown!  One of the first game shows to be produced by Nickelodeon, Make the Grade premiered at the tail end of the ‘80s, and was originally hosted by comedian Lew Schneider.  Three kids competed to answer trivia questions, one from each of seven categories and difficulty settings.  The show also included “Fire Drills”, which acted as bonus rounds similar to Double Dare’s “Physical Challenges”.  Make the Grade helped Nick establish itself as the go-to place for children’s game shows in the early ‘90s, but it’s not that well-remembered by even hardcore Nick fans, which is why it ranks so low.

Scores: High popularity, longevity and impact; Moderate originality; Low nostalgia
Total: 304 points

#65: Roundhouse
Aired: August 15, 1992-January 27, 1996

When SNICK first debuted on Nick in 1992, this show debuted as well as part of the original lineup.  Buddy Sheffield, a former writer for the sketch comedy series In Living Color, co-created this variety/comedy series.  The series revolved around the problems of the Anyfamily, and also included numerous comedy sketches and dance routines.  The show ran for four seasons, and was quite popular with viewers.  The show is also memorable for another sad reason: actor/dancer Dominic Lucero, who was prevalent throughout the first two seasons, was diagnosed with cancer before the third season aired, and sadly passed away at the age of 26 before the show ended its run.  The final show, “Endings”, was fittingly dedicated to his memory.

Scores: Very high originality; High popularity; Moderate longevity and impact; Low nostalgia
Total: 308 points

#64: The Third Eye
Aired: January 4, 1983-May 31, 1985

“Somewhere in the crowd…sometimes you find someone very special.  Someone who hears the unheard…someone who understands the mystery.  Sometimes…there’s someone who sees with a THIRD EYE!”  These ominous words signaled the beginning of Nickelodeon’s first horror/science fiction program, an anthology series that was actually four programs in one.  All four series in the anthology dealt with children with psychic or supernatural powers, hence the program’s title.  It is still unknown who developed the anthology of The Third Eye, though all the serials that aired were either from the U.K. or New Zealand.  A fifth series titled “The Witches and the Grinnygog” was added in early 1985, but the show was sadly cancelled a few months later.  Even so, The Third Eye can be seen as a predecessor to another popular Nickelodeon horror series: Are You Afraid of the Dark?.

Scores: High popularity and impact; Moderate longevity; Low originality and nostalgia
Total: 312 points

#63: Nick Rocks
Aired: June 3, 1982-March 26, 1989

Picking up essentially where PopClips left off, Nick Rocks was a 30-minute program which aired popular music artists of the day.  The host, “Joe from Chicago”, was actually Joseph R. Piasek, who wrote and produced the show, and has since done similar work for VH1 and TNN.  Unlike PopClips, several guest hosts were also brought in from time to time, including The Monkees, Huey Lewis, and They Might Be Giants.  A spin-off was made for the Nick Jr. programming block in 1988, but was short-lived, and the show was cancelled a year later.  Nickelodeon has not produced any music video block programs since.

Scores: High popularity and longevity; Moderate originality; Low nostalgia and impact
Total: 315 points

#62: LazyTown
Aired: August 16, 2004-April 5, 2007

A little kid’s show that emphasizes exercise and playing outside?  Strange as it may sound in this day and age, LazyTown was just that, and became a smash hit after debuting on the Nick Jr. block in mid-2004.  Originally filmed in Iceland, the show revolved around the misadventures of pink-haired girl Stephanie and her friends, who, along with their superhero friend Sportacus, teach young children the virtues of physical activity and play.  The show ran for 52 episodes over two seasons, aired in over 100 countries in more than a dozen languages, and inspired several spin-off projects, including a live theatrical show that has toured Europe and Australia.  The show continues to air today on PBS Kids Sprout.

Scores: High popularity and originality; Moderate longevity; Low impact; Very low nostalgia
Total: 320 points

#61: Get the Picture
Aired: March 18, 1991-March 13, 1993

One of the earliest game shows to be broadcast on Nick, Get the Picture was also one of the first shows taped at Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida.  Hosted by Mike O’Malley, the game consisted of two teams playing to win cash and prizes by uncovering squares on a giant board that revealed a picture (a la Concentration).  Various trivia questions were asked, and for every question and/or picture answered correctly, cash money was given.  The show also featured “Power Surges”, which acted as bonus rounds that also allowed kids to earn money or prizes.  In the final round, “Mega Memory”, the winning team was shown the pictures behind a 9x9 grid, and were asked to remember where each picture was.  Even though the show only ran for two seasons, Get the Picture holds the distinction of having more episodes per season than any other Nick game show, as well as the fourth-most of any game show period—only Double Dare, GUTS, and Legends surpass it.

Scores: High popularity; Moderate originality, longevity, nostalgia and impact
Total: 329 points
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:27:59 PM by The Bandit King »

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »
Caitlin's Way.... I used to love that show. Another show that got cancelled too soon, definitely should have lasted longer. I never really watched Roundhouse, did they ever air it that much? That's a shame what happened to one of the actors though. :(

I've seen random promos/clips of Nick Rocks on YouTube, looked like a neat show. I thought it started in 1982 though, instead of 1984? And of course Get the Picture.... the show that had some Legends contestants on there. :P

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
Good eye on Nick Rocks...just a simple typo on my part. It's fixed now. ;)

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:55 PM »
Another day, another ten shows!

#60: The Journey of Allen Strange
Aired: November 8, 1997-April 23, 2000

Late in 1997, cryptic messages began airing on Nick about “something strange…coming to SNICK”.  That “something strange” turned out to be a new comedy/drama series, which revolved around a young alien stranded on Earth.  The alien (nicknamed “Allen Strange”) meets up with a young girl and boy, and takes refuge at their California home.  The series finished strong in the ratings throughout its three-season, 57-episode run, but was inexplicably canceled in early 2000, with Allen still stranded on Earth with no sign of him ever getting home.

Scores: High popularity; Above average longevity; Moderate originality and nostalgia; Low impact
Total: 334 points

#59: Little Bear
Aired: April 3, 1995-October 20, 2003

One of the most long-running little kid’s shows Nick ever aired, Little Bear was produced by our old friends at Nelvana.  Based on the popular book series by Else Minarik and Maurice Sendak (who were also on the production team of the show), the show follows the exploits of grizzly bear cub Little Bear and his anthropomorphic animal friends in the woods.  The show ran for a whopping five seasons, spawned a direct-to-video film after ending, and reruns of the show are still broadcast on Nick Jr.

Scores: Very high popularity and longevity; Moderate impact; Low nostalgia; Very low originality
Total: 338 points

#58: My Brother and Me
Aired: October 15, 1994-February 2, 1995

My Brother and Me was a very popular family sitcom which debuted on Nick in late 1994.  The show revolved around the exploits of Alfie Parker and his younger brother Derek, nicknamed “Dee Dee”.  My Brother and Me made history on Nickelodeon as the first show on the network with an all-black cast, and was nominated for the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Youth or Children’s Special.  Unfortunately, the show lasted only 13 episodes before being cancelled due to disagreements between the producers and the creators of the show—each one had their own idea of the direction of the show.

Scores: High popularity and nostalgia; Moderate originality; Low impact; Very low longevity
Total: 339 points

#57: Space Cases
Aired: March 2, 1996-January 27, 1997

Another popular drama/comedy, Space Cases is a product of creators Billy Mumy and Peter David.  Set in the far future (the year is never specified), the show revolves around a group of students (as well as two adults) who are stranded on a spaceship orbiting Pluto after a field trip, following their journey to get back home.  Budget constraints forced the show to use props from other Nick shows, such as Are You Afraid of the Dark?.  The show ran for 27 episodes over two seasons, and featured a variety of guest stars, including Danny Tamberelli, Michelle Trachtenberg, and even Robin Leach.

Scores: High popularity and nostalgia; Above average originality; Moderate impact; Low longevity
Total: 341 points

#56: Oh Yeah! Cartoons
Aired: July 17, 1998-May 26, 2001

An animation project guided by Fred Seibert (the former president of Hanna-Barbera studios), this show is so high on the countdown because it spawned more shows than any other series in Nick history.  Although the show ran for only 37 episodes (as well as five unaired episodes), there were several individual cartoons on each episode, giving over a dozen animators the chance to create over 100 new cartoons!  Several of the animators who got their start on the show went on to become much more famous, such as Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane.  And of course, as previously mentioned, numerous NickToons that were shown as regulars on Oh Yeah! Cartoons became series in their own right, including ChalkZone, The Fairly OddParents, and My Life as a Teenage Robot.

Scores: Very high originality and impact; Moderate popularity and longevity; Very low nostalgia
Total: 347 points

#55: The Amanda Show
Aired: November 6, 1999-September 21, 2002

Aaaahhh…Amanda Bynes.  Give me a second…*dreamy sigh*…okay, I’m good.  Anyway, this show was a spin-off of All That, on which Amanda had been a regular cast member for several years before landing this gig.  The show basically worked in the same way as All That, involving several comedy skits and humorous antics, some of the more memorable ones involving dancing lobsters and a Judge Judy parody.  The show ran for three seasons before being cancelled unexpectedly in 2002, but Amanda would go on to become a huge star in movies and television, and Drake Bell and Josh Peck, who also appeared on the show, received their own spin-off from it as well.  Sadly, no matter how much I adore Ms. Bynes, I can’t let my little crush on her affect this countdown too much.  (If and when we get married, however, that’s out the window. :lol: )

Scores: High popularity, longevity and impact; Moderate nostalgia; Low originality
Total: 348 points

#54: ChalkZone
Aired: March 22, 2002-November 21, 2009

Originally featured on Oh Yeah! Cartoons, ChalkZone premiered in 2002, and up to that point, was the most-watched new show premiere in Nick history (it has since fallen to seventh place).  The NickToon revolved around grade-school boy Rudy, who discovers a magical world inhabited by beings that have been created by chalk drawings.  The show itself is a nod to a 1974 cartoon called Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, but its creators Bill Burnett and Larry Huber insist they came up with the show without knowledge of this.  The show lasted for 42 episodes over four seasons, stretched out over several years due to numerous hiatuses, and reruns can still be seen on NickToons.

Scores: High popularity, longevity and nostalgia; Moderate originality; Low impact
Total: 353 points

#53: Think Fast!
Aired: May 1, 1989-June 29, 1991

One of the first game shows ever produced by Nickelodeon, Think Fast! premiered in the spring of 1989.  The gameplay involved two teams of two kids, who competed in various physical stunts to win cash prizes.  After each stunt, the winning team would have a chance to solve a visual puzzle called “The Brain Bender” (often a picture of a celebrity or a rebus puzzle).  If the team solved it correctly, they won $200 more, and at the end of the game, the ones with the most money went on to the bonus round, “The Locker Room”, where they found pairs of objects or characters inside various lockers, all while trying to avoid the infamous “Red Herring”.  Think Fast! was the second Nick game show to be taped at Nickelodeon Studios (Double Dare was first), and ran for a whopping 106 episodes over three seasons.

Scores: High originality and impact; Moderate popularity and longevity; Low nostalgia
Total: 354 points

#52: Franklin
Aired: January 4, 1999-Late 2004

Another children’s show based on a book series, Franklin debuted in early 1999 to much fanfare, and soon became as popular on Nick Jr. as the longer-running Little Bear.  Revolving around the titular character, a young turtle who could “count by twos and tie his shoes”, each episode dealt with Franklin and his friends’ exploits in the woods where they lived.  Though it ended its new episodes in 2004, reruns of Franklin are still shown on Nick Jr., and several live stage shows have toured in the U.S. and France.

Scores: High popularity and longevity; Above average nostalgia and impact; Low originality
Total: 358 points

#51: Nick Arcade
Aired: January 4, 1992-March 12, 1993

It’s been panned by the website Game Show Garbage as tacky and cheesy, but Nick Arcade remains one of the most high-energy, flamboyant game shows of all time.  Hosted by the always-energetic Phil Moore, the show pitted two teams of kids against one another in a series of video game-inspired challenges.  Along the way, the teams tackled what Phil called the “four P’s”: points, puzzles, pop quizzes and prizes.  The winner had a chance to enter the Video Zone, where they played a live-action game on a blue screen for a chance to win the grand prize.  Contestants from other Nick game shows appeared on the show, as well as a young Joey Fatone, who would go on to be a member of the boy band N*SYNC.

Scores: High popularity and longevity; Moderate nostalgia and originality; Low impact
Total: 361 points
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:36:40 PM by The Bandit King »

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 02:28:01 AM »
Wow, so many memorable shows. Where to start.... :o

I remember Allen Strange quite well, especially those "Something strange" commercials they used to air. They used to interrupt Nick's jingles/commercials just to promote the show. I can't believe I even remember that. XD

God Little Bear.... that was my favorite show when I was 5 years old. I always found it hilarious that an animal could actually talk. Yet his best friend was a human who could understand him perfectly.

My Brother and Me was a great show. I didn't even care that the cast was all black, I just found the show hilarious. I can't believe the show got cancelled after one season. And just because the producers had creative differences. Why can't they all just get along? :roll:

Space Cases.... I'm one of the few members of this forum that actually remembers this show. It's a weird show, but it was still funny. I remembered the rainbow haired chick (Suzie?) the most.

And my god, Oh Yeah! Cartoons. I LOVED that show, it was the birth of so many Nicktoons it's not even funny. My favorite spin off was The Fairly Odd Parents. And to this day, I STILL love watching the shorts/pilot episodes from the aforementioned show. I could watch all the shorts a million times and not get sick of it. It's much better than most of the episodes they play today, but that's just me.

The Amanda Show was great too. Some of the sketches were annoying, but some were just great. My personal favorite was Moody's Point. It's a shame it got cancelled, it could have lasted at least one more season. And LOL at your Amanda Bynes bias! :lol:

Chalkzone was okay, never really got into it. I can't believe it lasted that long though. But like you said, they must have taken A LOT of hiatuses.

Never got into Think Fast, so no real opinion on that.

Franklin was okay, my cousin used to be a huge fan of it. She even used to sing the theme song to it too. XD

And finally, Nick Arcade. I watched some episodes on YouTube, but like Think Fast, never got into that either. I do remember Nadine, that REALLY awful player. I'm pretty sure she got a mention on that "Game Show Garbage" site. As far as celebrities appearing on that show, I'm pretty sure the whole cast of Clarissa Explains it All appeared on an episode once. This was definitely one of the more memorable game shows.

Wow, that was a lot to type up. :lol: Overall, another great list and I look forward to your next installment. :D

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »
We’ve reached the top 50! Let’s get started…

#50: As Told by Ginger
Aired: October 25, 2000-November 21, 2009

Another product of Arlene Klasky and Gabor Csupo, this popular NickToon debuted in late 2000.  The show focused on teenager Ginger Foutley (voiced by Melissa Disney, a distant relative of Walt himself) and her friends and family, as they solved problems and conflicts in their lives, many of which many children could relate to.  As Told by Ginger was very unusual for its time due to the fact that time was actually allowed to pass throughout the series: characters grew in and out of love, aged, and some even died.  The show ran for a total of sixty episodes throughout three seasons, and most episodes were released on DVD.

Scores: Very high longevity; High popularity; Moderate originality and nostalgia; Low impact
Total: 366 points

#49: Figure It Out
Aired: July 7, 1997-December 12, 1999

Although the glory days of Nick game shows had nearly run their course in the late ‘90s, this show could be considered the “last of a dying breed”.  After running casting calls for children with unique talents or hobbies, Figure It Out premiered in the summer of 1997, hosted by former Olympic gold medalist Summer Sanders.  In the same veil as To Tell the Truth and I’ve Got a Secret, the show featured a panel of four celebrities (usually from other Nick shows, but several non-Nick celebrities also appeared), who asked the kid yes-or-no questions in hopes of solving their quirk or ability.  There were three rounds, and if the panel was stumped during a round, the contestant won a prize.  After over 150 episodes and four seasons, the show ended its run just days before the 2000 rolled around.

Scores: High longevity and popularity; Above average nostalgia; Moderate originality; Low impact
Total: 374 points

#48: Little Bill
Aired: November 28, 1999-February 4, 2004

Created by the legendary Bill Cosby, this children’s show was the veteran comedian’s second venture into animation (the first, of course, was Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids in the 1970’s).  The show premiered on Nick Jr. in the fall of 1999, and focused on the titular character, an inquisitive five-year-old boy who was partially based on Cosby himself, and his family and friends.  The show ran for 48 episodes over eight seasons, and reruns are still seen on Nick Jr. from time to time.

Scores: Very high popularity; High longevity; Above average originality and impact; Moderate nostalgia
Total: 378 points

#47: Wild and Crazy Kids
Aired: July 4, 1990-Mid 1992

Another popular early ‘90s show, Wild and Crazy Kids may be the messiest game show Nick ever produced.  In this show hosted by Omar Gooding, Donnie Jeffcoat, and Jessica Gaynes, three teams of at least six people (usually all kids) competed in some of the messiest physical stunts ever shown on Nick.  Shenanigans on the show ranged from finding letters painted on Frisbees in a giant pool of pudding to playing polo with giant rubber balls in place of horses.  Occasionally, celebrities would appear on the show, including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris and Hulk Hogan.  The show was cancelled in 1992, but it helped spawned other Nick game shows, especially the similar What Would You Do?.  Reruns aired on Nick GaS for some time, and the show was also even briefly revived in 2002; however, it only lasted for seven episodes.

Scores: High originality; Above average popularity, nostalgia and impact; Moderate longevity
Total: 379 points

#46: Bob the Builder
Aired: February 1, 2001-Mid 2005

Can it make the list?  Yes it can!  Originally created in England in 1999, this stop-motion clay animated series was picked up by Nickelodeon and aired on its Nick Jr. block, with American actors dubbing over the original dialogue.  The show revolves around Bob, a construction worker (voiced by Greg Proops of Victorious and Whose Line Is It Anyway? fame), and his friends, both human and machine, who tackle various construction and repair projects while dealing with a moral of the day.  The show proved to be insanely popular, and soon became the highest-rated show on Nick Jr. and the second-highest rated on Nickelodeon period, only surpassed by SpongeBob.  In 2005, however, the show moved to PBS Kids, where it continues to air new episodes.

Scores: Very high popularity; High originality and impact; Above average longevity; Moderate nostalgia
Total: 383 points

#45: Hey Dude
Aired: July 14, 1989-August 30, 1991

The second original live-action series to air on Nickelodeon (the first was Out of Control), Hey Dude was a popular comedy series that ran for 65 episodes over five seasons.  The show was set on the fictional “Bar None Dude Ranch” in Arizona, where proprietor Mr. Ernst and the numerous teenage hired hands there interacted on a daily basis.  Most of the show was shot on location on an actual dude ranch near Tucson’s property, although most of the set was built from scratch to keep the real ranch’s guests from being bothered by the production.  The show wrapped up production in mid-1991, and the set’s buildings were virtually abandoned—some still stand to this day, as a matter of fact!

Scores: Very high popularity; High originality and impact; Above average longevity and nostalgia
Total: 386 points

#44: Weinerville
Aired: July 11, 1993-June 30, 1997

This show probably wins the award for Nick show with the weirdest title in history.  Puppeteer Mark Weiner (whose last name is really pronounced “whiner”) teamed up with Nick to create this long-running variety show, which combined human characters and puppets to create a distinct live-action show for the live studio audience.  Weiner would also bring up kids from the studio audience and “Weinerize” them, transforming the kids into puppets by having them stick their heads through holes over the bodies of small puppets.  Weinerville was praised by such high-profile shows as Entertainment Tonight and Good Morning America for being the first half-man, half-puppet variety series.

Scores: Very high originality; High popularity and longevity; Above average impact; Moderate nostalgia
Total: 389 points

#43: Cousin Skeeter
Aired: September 1, 1998-May 19, 2003

Another show that combined humans and puppets, this sitcom debuted on Nick as part of the NickelOzone block in late 1998.  The show revolved around the adventures of teenager Bobby Walker and his family, whose lives are changed forever when Bobby’s cousin Skeeter (a puppet voiced by Bill Bellamy) moves in with them.  Throughout most episodes, Skeeter becomes involved in an improbably hilarious situation, and somehow manages to drag Bobby—and usually his family and friends—into the fray.  Only Nick’s second show to feature an all-black cast (Skeeter included), Cousin Skeeter was nominated for Outstanding Youth or Children’s Series in 2000 and 2001, but was inexplicably cancelled in 2003.

Scores: High popularity, originality and longevity; Moderate nostalgia and impact
Total: 390 points

#42: The Angry Beavers
Aired: April 19, 1997-November 11, 2003

Highly publicized up to its debut, The Angry Beavers was a brainchild of animator Mitch Schauer, who was the producer of another well-known cartoon, Freakazoid.  The show debuted in the spring of ’97, and followed the adventures of laid-back Norbert and hyperactive Daggett, two beaver brothers forced to live life on their own after being kicked out of their childhood home.  The show soon became part of the “Big five” NickToons of the late ‘90s, along with Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Rocko.  The show ran for four seasons and 63 episodes, and the first episode was recently shown as part of the UPick block of The 90’s Are All That.

Scores: High popularity, longevity and impact; Above average originality and nostalgia
Total: 393 points

#41: My Life as a Teenage Robot
Aired: August 11, 2003-March 30, 2007

After a pilot called My Neighbor Was a Teenage Robot aired on Oh Yeah! Cartoons in 1999, animator Rob Renzetti began creating a spin-off series for Nickelodeon.  Despite Nick rejecting the show at first, after minor tweaking by Renzetti, the show began airing in 2003.  The NickToon focused on the adventures of teenage android Jenny “XJ9” Wakeman in her quest to battle powerful villains and her ongoing struggle to fit in with the humans around her.  The show instantly proved popular with fans, and even after being prematurely canceled in 2006, reruns continued to air on Nick for about a year.  The show can currently been seen on the NickToons network.

Scores: High popularity, originality and nostalgia; Above average longevity; Moderate impact
Total: 396 points
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:22:51 PM by The Bandit King »

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »
More great shows! Now where to start....

I LOVED As Told by Ginger! I related to this show on so many levels it's not even funny. I'm surprised it lasted until 2009 though, I thought for sure it was cancelled in 2004.

We all know about Figure it Out. Is it any wonder why we used to post all about it in the old Spam Topic in 2009? :lol:

Never liked Little Bill, and not just because I was growing out of those shows by the time it premiered.

My god.... Wild and Crazy Kids premiered literally ON MY BIRTH DATE. I kid you not, July 4, 1990 was the day both this show AND I was born. Man, you really do learn something new everyday. :D

Bob the Builder = never liked. Next.

Ah, Hey Dude.... one of those shows Teenick is beating the dead horse with. It was a forgettable show then, and it's a forgettable show now. Not a bad show, just not great.

Weinerville was sort of forgettable too. Though I always remember the half human, half puppet aspect of the show. When I was a kid, I honestly thought the show was named "Wal Mart." I guess I wasn't a very bright kid. :lol:

Cousin Skeeter was awesome. I think I even taped an episode of it once. Just like with As Told by Ginger, I'm surprised it even lasted THAT long.

Angry Beavers was also awesome. Very underrated cartoon, Dagget and Norbert never failed to crack me up.

And finally, My Life as a Teenage Robot. I watched this show a lot when it premiered in 2003. It was a good show, but it got old pretty fast.

I hope this post/review wasn't too long this time. :P Great review as always!

Offline The Bandit King

• Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:35 PM »
We’ve officially reached the halfway point of the countdown!  Let’s kick it off!

#40: Dora the Explorer
Aired: August 14, 2000-present

Not since Blue’s Clues had the Nick Jr. block seen such a smash hit.  First conceived by Chris Gifford, Valerie Walsh, and Eric Weiner (no relation to Marc), Dora the Explorer followed the adventures of a young Latina girl and her pet monkey Boots as they journey on various treks.  The show soon became a smash hit, becoming the highest-rated program on Nick Jr. a mere two months after its debut.  The show came into some controversy in 2009 when a “tween” version of Dora was introduced, but the show continues to finish in the top 10 ratings-wise week after week.  It may also be argued that Dora is among the best-selling series in Nick history, with possibly only SpongeBob surpassing it in merchandise sales nowadays, which is why the show received a perfect 100 in popularity from me.

Scores: Perfect popularity; Very high longevity; High impact; Above average originality; Low nostalgia
Total: 400 points

#39: What Would You Do?
Aired: August 31, 1991-June 27, 1999

One of Nick’s longest-aired game shows, What Would You Do? premiered in the summer of 1991, when game shows were in full swing on the network.  Hosted by Marc Summers, the show featured kids (and sometimes adults) competing in strange stunts, such as handling disgusting animals or eating strange combinations of foods.  The winner got no money for completing the challenge, but he/she usually did get to smash a whipped cream pie into the loser’s face, occasionally with numerous infamous contraptions, such as the infamous “Pie Slide”.  The show ran for two seasons, though reruns continued to air on Nick through 1999, and it also ran on Nick GaS.

Scores: Very high impact; High popularity and longevity; Above average nostalgia; Moderate originality
Total: 402 points

#38: Dusty’s Treehouse
Aired: Mid 1980-June 29, 1984

After the Pinwheel network changed its name to “Nickelodeon” in 1979, one of the first shows it picked up was this program.  Originally produced at the local CBS flagship in Los Angeles, Dusty’s Treehouse starred veteran voice actor and show creator Stu Rosen, who starred as the titular character.  The show was quite similar to Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood in its delivery, usually involving Dusty interacting with the puppet characters that lived in his treehouse with him, including Maxine the crow, Scooter the squirrel, and Stanley the spider.  The show also featured “field trips” to various places, including factories and zoos.  Dusty’s Treehouse ran on Nickelodeon for four seasons, and is credited by many for introducing small children to Nickelodeon.

Scores: High popularity and impact; Above average longevity and nostalgia; Moderate originality
Total: 404 points

#37: Avatar: The Last Airbender
Aired: February 21, 2005-July 19, 2008

Considered one of the most popular Nicktoons of all time, this anime-inspired cartoon debuted in early 2005 and instantly became a massive hit.  The show, which took place in a mystical nation much like ancient China, revolved around a young boy named Aang and his friends, who were destined to save the world from an evil Lord.  Along the way, they met many unique characters and utilize their abilities to manipulate the classical elements of earth, fire, air and water in a process called “bending”.  The show consistently scored very high in the ratings, even outside its children’s demographic.  Avatar officially ended in 2008, but a live action film was made in 2011 based off the series, and a sequel called The Legend of Korra is set to premier in 2012.

Scores: Very high popularity and impact; High originality; Above average longevity; Moderate nostalgia
Total: 405 points

#36: Invader Zim
Aired: March 30, 2001-December 10, 2002

In 2000, veteran comic book animator Jhonen Vasquez created a highly unusual cartoon series that appealed to teenagers with its dark humor.  One year later, the show was picked up by Nickelodeon, and Invader Zim was born.  The plot revolved around alien Zim and his irreverent robot GIR, hell-bent on taking over the Earth but thwarted by their own incompetence at every turn.  The show was highly praised, and the pilot episode alone won two awards and nominations.  Before the second season aired, however, the show’s ratings began to suffer, so Nickelodeon cancelled the series.  However, Invader Zim built up a massive cult following after its cancellation.  Between June and August of 2006, the 17 episodes that were in production when the show was cancelled were aired on NickToons.  The show is rumored to be returning before the year is out.

Scores: Very high nostalgia; High originality; Moderate popularity and impact; Low longevity
Total: 406 points

#35: Livewire
Aired: Early 1980-April 26, 1986

One of the first true kid’s “talk shows”, Livewire debuted on Nickelodeon not long after it changed its name from the Pinwheel Network.  Hosted by comedian Fred Newman (who would later go on to voice Skeeter Valentine on Doug), the show dealt with current-event topics of the day.  Livewire also featured guest musicians on most shows, and is famous for giving relatively unknown bands like Twisted Sister and R.E.M. their first television appearances.  Livewire was the #1 rated show on Nick in 1982, and throughout its five-year run, never went below #7 in the ratings.  The show ended production in 1985, but reruns were shown on Nick for about a year until it was finally pulled altogether.

Scores: Very high popularity and longevity; High impact; Above average originality; Moderate nostalgia
Total: 407 points

#34: Welcome Freshmen
Aired: February 1, 1991-October 28, 1996

Called School Students when it aired in Canada, Welcome Freshmen was a very popular sketch comedy series that debuted on Nick in early 1991.  The show played on earlier shows such as Fifteen and Saved by the Bell in that it focused on a group of high school students and their bumbling school vice principal.  However, there was one difference: Welcome Freshmen was a comedy sketch program, featuring several humorous skits involving the children and principal.  In season 3, however, the show moved away from the sketch comedy format, and became a standard sitcom.  This is generally considered to be the reason the show’s ratings began slipping, and it was cancelled soon afterward because of that.

Scores: Very high originality; High longevity; Above average popularity; Moderate nostalgia and impact
Total: 408 points

#33: The Wild Thornberrys
Aired: September 1, 1998-March 11, 2004

Another product of Klasky/Csupo, this Nicktoon debuted, oddly, on the NickelOZone block.  The series followed the exploits of Eliza Thornberry (voiced by Lacey Chabert), the daughter of a wildlife show host, as she and her family travel around the world to film animals.  Eliza is given the power to speak to animals by an African shaman (voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson), and most episodes revolve around Eliza and her pet chimp Darwin as they struggle to help animals with their problems.  The Wild Thornberrys was the first Nicktoon to use one half-hour long story in each episode (every other Nicktoon before it had usually used two fifteen-minute episodes per show).  Two feature-length films were made of the series—one as a crossover with Rugrats—before the show’s cancellation in 2004.

Scores: High popularity and longevity; Above average nostalgia; Moderate originality and impact
Total: 410 points

#32: The Adventures of Pete & Pete
Aired: November 28, 1993-December 28, 1996

This surrealistic live-action show was created by Will McRobb and Chris Viscardi, who would also go on to write for Kablam! and the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.  Set in the town of Wellsville, New York, the show revolved around two brothers, both named Pete (played by Mike Marrona and Danny Tamberelli), and their families as they dealt with the bizarre happenings in their hometown.  Other notable characters included Little Pete’s friend Nona (played by Michelle Trachtenberg) and her father (played by rock legend Iggy Pop).  Pete & Pete was cancelled in 1996, but reruns were aired until 1999 on Nick, and Tamberelli went on to appear on All That and Figure It Out, and has since formed his own rock band, Jounce.

Scores: Very high popularity; High longevity; Above average nostalgia and impact; Moderate originality
Total: 412 points

#31: CatDog
Aired: April 4, 1998-September 22, 2004

If you had told anyone prior to 1998 that a cartoon about a cat and a dog joined together at the butt would become a runaway hit, they would have thought you were outside your mind.  But that’s just what happened when CatDog debuted that very year.  Created by Peter Hannan, CatDog followed the adventures of the titular characters, brothers Cat (Jim Cummings) and Dog (Tom Kenny), as they struggled to fit in amongst society.  The show was constantly ridiculed by critics for its nonsensical nature and improbability, but against all odds, it maintained its moderate-yet-loyal fanbase.  CatDog was cancelled in 2004, but reruns continue to be seen on NickToons, and the entire series has been released on DVD.

Scores: Very high originality; High longevity; Above average popularity and nostalgia; Low impact
Total: 414 points
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:29:45 PM by The Bandit King »

It's baaaaaaaack...

You do the math.

--"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Privacy
Hosting provided by VlexoFree Hosting