Author Topic: Forming your own path  (Read 1116 times)

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
Forming your own path
« on: September 11, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »
My Algebra teacher gets annoied when we don't do the math the exact way she taught us. I've found my own way of doing the math, and I still get the right answers, and I've maintaied a "B" average thus far (A month and one week). Do you guys think I'm in the wrong, or do you think I've got the right idea by forming my own path?
Crazy, but that's how it goes.

You don't do nothing you don't wanna do
Be nothing phony about you
Keeping it real and do what you feel
You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
Forming your own path
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:01:33 PM »
Well, it depends how efficient your method is, in my opinion. In my Precalculus Honors class, the teacher doesn't really value right answers as much as the most efficient method to get to that answer. There are different ways of doing things, but the one that seems to work is not always the best way.

Yeah, so, as long as you're efficient, you're good. :P

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
Forming your own path
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 06:13:57 PM »
Quote from: ""nicklegends""
Well, it depends how efficient your method is, in my opinion. In my Precalculus Honors class, the teacher doesn't really value right answers as much as the most efficient method to get to that answer. There are different ways of doing things, but the one that seems to work is not always the best way.

Yeah, so, as long as you're efficient, you're good. :mrgreen:

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
Forming your own path
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
Quote from: ""PhantomBPR""

Yeah, so, as long as you're efficient, you're good. :mrgreen:

Just make sure you understand what you're doing. Tests aren't always the best way to judge that. :wink:

Offline tss1011

• Silver Snake
    • View Profile
Forming your own path
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »
There are indeed different approaches to math. This is why all math teachers should begin all explanations with, "You could start..."  :wink:

Offline nicklegends

• Temple Spirit
  • King
    • View Profile
    • The King's Storeroom
Forming your own path
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 08:33:32 PM »
Quote from: ""tss1011""
There are indeed different approaches to math. This is why all math teachers should begin all explanations with, "You could start..."  :wink:

Wow, you just made a parallel between math and Legends in my head! There are a whole bunch of ways to go about doing your task in math, and sometimes the less-obvious way will work out, and you might be caught-up in a dead end if you choose a path too hastily. And it's difficult to decide at each junction what to do... you might choose the wrong path, or, with a bit more thinking beforehand, choose the most logical path and succeed. The temple guards, representative of the teachers, are there to help redirect you and let the other people in your group have a turn at doing things (seeing things thorugh others' perspectives and reconsidering your own).

Wow... I cannot believe that Olmec's temple run and math have so many similarities. :o

Offline tss1011

• Silver Snake
    • View Profile
Forming your own path
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 08:42:43 PM »
I'm glad my words of wisdom have enlightened you.  Remember, the choices are yours and yours alone!

Offline PhantomBPR

• Temple God
  • Kirk Level
    • View Profile
Forming your own path
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »
Quote from: ""tss1011""
Wow, you just made a parallel between math and Legends in my head! There are a whole bunch of ways to go about doing your task in math, and sometimes the less-obvious way will work out, and you might be caught-up in a dead end if you choose a path too hastily. And it's difficult to decide at each junction what to do... you might choose the wrong path, or, with a bit more thinking beforehand, choose the most logical path and succeed. The temple guards, representative of the teachers, are there to help redirect you and let the other people in your group have a turn at doing things (seeing things thorugh others' perspectives and reconsidering your own).

Wow... I cannot believe that Olmec's temple run and math have so many similarities. :o

Well hell. I never looked at it quite like that before. Legends analogys are awesome! ......speaking of which I got caught up on a math test today, but through trial and error, and emplimenting a few of my own techniques, I was able to solve the problem and I'm pretty sure I did well. As far as actually LEARNING the math goes, I plan to have a scientific calculator and a manual by my side for the rest of my life after college.

You gotta eat
You gott eat Checkers!