Author Topic: Interesting Photos from Various Episodes  (Read 8611 times)

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Photos from Various Episodes
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
Yeah, no way that was suppose to be the intended path for Bobby. That path was way too simple. Not to mention that the only temple guard he encountered was in the Cave of Sighs. Even a pathetic win like " :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:" forced the Silver Snakes to encounter at least two guards. I am not sure what happened in the Holes of Python, but I think its enough proof that the Holes of Python should've been a deadend. And this might not be a popular opinion, but I don't think Bobby would've won if he took the long way. He just was not as great as people make him out to be. :roll:

Offline PurpleParrot4Life

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that detail before in the "Henry Hudson" run too. Its very obvious that the door to the Chamber-Pit did not open until sometime after Sherra completed the Chamber objective. I am not sure why this happened though. Perhaps it was a delayed door or it was programmed to open incorrectly? I don't recall any other runs that did this where a door opened later once a team completed an objective. I remember people like outer space use to give Sherra a hard time for taking the direct path, but this is evidence that she had no choice but to go down into the Tomb of the Headless Kings.

As for the King's Storeroom, I am not sure why the door opened. Maybe it was just suppose to be a useless detour where if the team was inattentive, they would enter that room. Didn't that happen in "The War Fan of the 47 Ronin" too where the King's Storeroom opened for Jeremy along with the Ancient Warrior door? I don't remember. But the door to the King's Storeroom didn't open from the Pit though in the "Henry Hudson" run. So I am not sure again what happened there. It kind of reminds me of "The Thornwood Gavel of Judge Roy Bean" where Michael avoided the King's Storeroom altogether while Kelli goes up there for no reason. Except in that run, the King's Storeroom door opened from the Pit.

In the "War Fan" episode, the door from the Chamber to the King's Storeroom did not open; only the door to the Ancient Warriors opened. The door from the Pit to the King's Storeroom did not open either in that episode, so the team had absolutely no access to the room from any direction.

In the "Thornwood Gavel" episode, the Chamber only opened to the Ancient Warriors, and the King's Storeroom was accessible from the Pit. The King's Storeroom then connected back to Michael's path at the Room of the Ancient Warriors.

And as far as the door from the "Upside-Down Compass" goes, I think that the King's Storeroom was meant to be a detour, but not a dead-end. After completing the Storeroom objective, the step would have lowered heading toward the Ancient Warriors. This would end up replicating so many Season Two runs, where that triangle of doors (between Observatory, Medusa's Lair, and King's Storeroom) would bring the team around in circles if they didn't know where they were going. Plus, since we know that the Ancient Warriors was accessible from the Chamber as soon as Sherra completed the Chamber objective, that would have made the King's Storeroom guard avoidable. That means that in nearly every episode, it was possible to avoid at least one guard.

(Back when I first watched this show, I thought that when a team encountered an "avoidable" guard, other doors would open. For example, I thought that it wasn't until Veronica detoured up to the King's Storeroom in "Bifocal Monocle" that the door from the Chamber to the Tomb of the Headless Kings opened... In other words, I thought that the dead-end guard was unavoidable, since the alternate path that avoided that guard was not accessible until the frontrunner encountered him.)

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
As for Shaka Zulu, the Holes of Python had to be a production error. I don't think the producers would give Bobby a layout THAT easy. The treasure chest being opened indicates he definitely would have entered that room instead.

Also, Bobby hits the actuator from the Holes of Python to the Tomb of Ancient Kings twice before the "activated door" sound effect is played. However, he hits that actuator pretty solidly each time. I think that the sound effect was added in after production (especially since the "activated door" noise of the same door sometimes varied between episodes), and they made the door "trigger" a bit later than the first try so that it would give more reason to Bobby hitting the actuator several times.

I'd also like to point out that Kirk says at that point, "That door's not gunna open. You're gunna have to go up." He never said that to any other contestants then the door from the Holes of Python/Swamp/Spider's Lair/Bamboo Forest to the Tomb of Ancient Kings did not activate. He would always tell the contestants that it was a dead-end and that they would have to go back to the Throne Room/Room of Harmonic Convergence. So (in addition to the treasure chest being opened) since Kirk says to go up, it probably was meant for Bobby to go up to the Treasure Room from the Holes of Python. On a bit of a side note, I wish that the camera had shown whether the Heart Room had opened from the Throne Room, so we could see if he was meant to go up that way (like in so many other Season One episodes) instead of from the Holes of Python to the Treasure Room.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »
I honestly never understood how people like outer space considered that to be a direct path. If the contestant was forced into the direct path route, than I don't consider it a direct path. Which is why I never agreed that Sherra, Leah from "Belle Boyd", and Ryan from "Gwalior" took a direct path.

I really don't like people using the terms "direct path" and "beelining," especially since the contestants often had few decisions of where to go once they entered the temple (most prominently in Season Three). And as far as Seasons One and Two go, most of the "direct paths" could have very easily not been dead-ends (most often the Spider's Lair/Holes of Python/Swamp/Bamboo Forest). That room never led up to the Treasure Room, even though the production team could have utilized that doorway, instead of having the team go back to the Throne Room, up to the Heart Room, and then across the upper floor. And I feel like the Pit/Wall Climb in Season One and early in Season Two worked the same way. From the Wall Climb, it took the contestants the least amount of time to just run along the bottom and try the door to the Throne Room. If it didn't open, then they would use time to climb the wall. Why would they bother wasting time climbing first, especially if those upper doors didn't end up opening and they were forced to go down? That would have wasted their time, and people on this site would probably criticize them for doing so. It would be a lose-lose situation.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
After watching the "Shaka Zulu" run a few times, it makes me wonder if Bobby forced the door open to the Tomb of the Ancient Kings. Right after he hit the actuator for the door on the left (the one he entered the Tomb of the Ancient Kings with), you can here a small noise which sounds like Bobby trying to force the door open. It wasn't the first time this happened, I thought that Billy from "Lost Hammer" also forced the same door open too.

And I am not too fond of the whole "direct path" thing either. The only time I ever hold the direct path against someone is when it is seriously detrimental to their run. Take runs like "The Electrified Key of Benjamin Franklin" and "The Jeweled Necklace of Montezuma", where if the players didn't take the direct path, they would've had a successful solo victory. I never really try to give a season one team a hard time for taking a direct path. I mean sure teams like the "Leonardo Da Vinci" and "Stone Marker" kids got caught up in bad deadends in their temple runs for taking the direct path. But they were from season one and didn't now better at all. And I blame this one the producers for banking on these kids too much for the direct path.

Some people even go as far sometimes to criticize a team for taking a direct path even when the team wins. I mean teams like "The Helmet of Genghis Khan" and "The Lucky Medallion of Atocha" took a direct path and they still won. And people seem to think that Missy and Lea from "Sultan Saladin" were flawed contestants just for taking the direct path.

The only problem with the direct path is that it usually adds an additional temple guard encounter on the team's route to the artifact. Sometimes it adds a couple of more room objectives also. But really, the teams were racing against the clock in the temple and probably just entered the closest door that was unlocked. And like you mentioned, a lot of teams liked the lower door in the Pit because it saved them time from climbing the wall. At the end of the day, there is only probably a dozen or so teams I probably nail for a direct path. But then again, that is not really the number one reason why they lost probably anyways,

Offline The Silver Monkey

• Temple God
  • Olmec
  • It's three pieces, it shouldn't be this hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »
I don't consider "Atocha" to be a direct path. I do consider "Emiliano Zapata" to be one, though, and we all know how thrilling that run was.

If you have seen all 120 episodes of Legends, copy and paste this into your signature for all to see.

If Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have been ruining the music industry since 2008, please copy and paste this into your signature for everyone to see.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
I didn't mean "Atocha", I don't even know why I said that one. :?: But yeah, "Emiliano Zapata" also had a direct path all the way to the artifact. But the path was pretty much set like that, so I don't hold it against the Green Monkeys and they won in the end anyways. And yes, that run was definitely a thriller down to literally the last second.  :mrgreen:

Even some temple losses where we criticize for a team taking a direct path were temple runs where the direct path was the only choice anyways. I mean the direct path was the only choice for runs like "The Keys to the Alhambra", "The Mush Pot Hat of Johnny Appleseed", and "The Mystical Spellbook of the Imperial Wizard". Its not like those teams had other choices. Although it is possible that the "Alhambra" team might've had an alternate route on the top floor. But the Heart Room-Golden Idols door was locked for Lisa...  :o

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »
Here are some more interesting photos I have found:

From Blackbeard's Treasure Map:

This is certainly an "interesting" photo is which one of the contestants is scratching her butt. And it was never edited out. I know this is a rather pointless photo, but I thought it would be worth sharing nonetheless.

From The Mummified Hand of the Egyptian King:

In this photo, why is "The Useless Map of the Chibcha Chieftain" pinned on the now boarded Cave of Sighs entrance? Probably a possible decoration the production crew was messing around with I suppose.

Offline Purple Parrots Fan

• Temple Spirit
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
I mean the direct path was the only choice for runs like "The Keys to the Alhambra", "The Mush Pot Hat of Johnny Appleseed", and "The Mystical Spellbook of the Imperial Wizard". Its not like those teams had other choices. Although it is possible that the "Alhambra" team might've had an alternate route on the top floor. But the Heart Room-Golden Idols door was locked for Lisa...  :o
You mean "The Lost Taj Mahal Turban of Aurangzeb?" Although I suppose that could apply to the "Imperial Wizard" episode as well.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »
Oh wow PPF, you took the whole "interesting photo" thread to a whole new level.  :lol: Seriously, I can't believe I never noticed that butt pick at all. That photo is hilarious and makes that pitiful episode even more hilarious.

And yes, "Lost Taj Mahal Turban" works also. Both that run and "Imperial Wizard" had the exact same path all the way to the artifact on the top floor. In both runs, both teams were forced on the top floor all the way to the Shrine. And like "Johnny Appleseed", those teams were forced down into the lower left hand corner room.

Here is one more image I want to post:

This image is taken from "The Keys to the Alhambra", the moment that Lisa enters the Tomb of the Ancient Kings. If you notice, all the golden doors in the room are open even though she hasn't even opened the sarcophagus in the middle of the room. The problem was that this room was not like this when Steve entered the room. Lisa even tries the key to the Shrine too, so its not like she didn't even know where to go. For whatever the reason, the golden door leading to the Shrine was already open. This might've confused her and caused her to backtrack for whatever reason. I am not saying that it was excusable for her poor performance, but she did TRY to go up to the Shrine. I wonder why the golden doors are like that anyways.

Offline GreenMonkeys#1

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
    • Alt-18 blog
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 07:13:57 AM »
When I saw the Alhambra episode, the Shrine door was opened, why didn't she use it? But It might be like the Kilimanjaro episode when the Gold door was opened but the Shrine wasn't.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:15:22 AM by thechamberofsacredmarkers »

Favorites
Team:  Green Monkeys :mrgreen:
Episode: Lawrence of Arabia's Headdress
Room: Either The Shrine of the Silver Monkey, The Laser Light Room, or the Jester's Court
Season: 2
Contestant: Gator from the Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugpak

Seen all 120 episodes of Legends   :)
Yo Dawg, I heard how much you like the Green Monkeys.   :P  :mrgreen:
Perfect Polly=World's "Smartest" Invention :lol:
I <3 Shaka Zulu! :kiss: Drat That Zulu Drought!!!!! :P  :mrred:

Teams ranked
1. Green Monkeys 280 pts
2. Red Jaguars 270 pts
3. Silver Snakes 269 pts
4. Blue Barracudas 252 pts
5. Orange Iguanas 250 pts
6. Purple Parrots 239 pts

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
I think that the doors being open in the Tomb of Ancient Kings in the "Keys to the Alhambra" run had to do with the production crew. I have some very interesting photos from this room, and I have come across some unusual findings (photos courtesy video posted by OlmecFan25 on youtube.com):

The upper left photo was taken when Steve first entered the Tomb of Ancient Kings. Notice that all of the doors on the back wall are closed to begin with. The middle golden door on the back wall holds the temple guard, and it is not open yet because this was taken just before the guard came out. The lower left photo was taken as the guard came out from behind the doors. Notice that as he comes out, the far left golden door (the one that leads to the Shrine of the Silver Monkey) becomes ajar. The upper right photo was taken as the guard was taking Steve away from the temple. I know it is a bit hard to see in this photo, but the far left door is barely in the photo on the left, and the middle and far right doors are more prominent in the center of the photo. What is interesting to note is that the guard is "tangoing" with him not to the middle door, but the one on the far right.

The lower right photo was taken as Lisa entered the room. All of the doors are ajar. The far left door on the back wall was opened when the temple guard came out from hiding. The middle door on the back wall was ajar because the guard burst through to capture Steve. When the guard took Steve out of the temple, he led him to the far right door, which explains why that one was opened. The door on the right-hand side of the room is open because that was the door that gained access to the Tomb of Ancient Kings from the Spider's Lair.

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »
Interesting observations, PP4L on the "Alhambra" run. I never noticed the temple guard taking Steve out of the temple through a different door than the one he came out of to capture Steve. That explains why both of the golden doors on the far right were open when Lisa entered the room. I guess those golden doors in the back of the room served as a purpose other than being decoration too.

I am not sure how the Shrine door got propped open though. Unless it was something due to the temple guard bumping into it and breaking it. Or perhaps the entire room was meant to be a deadend? I highly doubt that though. And Lisa did try to use the key to the Shrine too. So its not like she didn't know that she had to go up there. But we never hear a sound effect at all when she uses the key. Or maybe the door to the Shrine did open, and the sound effect never played at all. Who knows?

And yes, this sort of phenomenon occurred in "The Snow Cone of Mt. Kilimanjaro" also. But in that run, it looked like Heather forced the door open. And I think that door was suppose to be locked anyways. Unlike the "Alhambra" team, Heather had the option to plow through the wall. Its funny how both of these episodes have so many similarities: Both episodes were Red/Silver, both frontrunners were males who met temple guards at the bottom of the central shaft and golden doors room, both second runners never made any additional progress towards the artifact, and both females encountered a locked door to the Shrine in the golden doors room. And both teams were beyond pathetic. :roll: Except for Steve.

• Mayan God
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »
One thing that I find interesting about the "Smashed Printing Plate of Frederick Douglass" episode is that Kirk swears that the teams are searching for a "Smashing Printing Press." Also, when Olmec reveals its location, he calls the room "The Tomb of Ancient Kings" instead of the "Tomb of the Headless Kings." Kind of a throwback from Season One, eh?

Offline The Red Jaguars

• Fogg-up God
  • Recognized Legends God
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
One thing that I find interesting about the "Smashed Printing Plate of Frederick Douglass" episode is that Kirk swears that the teams are searching for a "Smashing Printing Press." Also, when Olmec reveals its location, he calls the room "The Tomb of Ancient Kings" instead of the "Tomb of the Headless Kings." Kind of a throwback from Season One, eh?

Kirk says that quite a few times about certain artifacts on the show. He kept calling "The Medal of Sir Edmund Hillary" as "The Pendant" and called "Robin Hood and Marian's Ladder" as the "Silk Ladder" even though Olmec never mentioned "Silk" at all. But then again, sometimes it made sense too. I mean the "Smash Printing Plate" was essentially a broken plate. And Robin Hood and Marian's Ladder was made of silk.

And yeah, Olmec sometimes blunders the room names also. He called the "Bamboo Forest" the "Bamboo Swamp" in "The Stolen Arm of Shiva". I always loved how Kirk called the Mine Shaft in season two the "Well", even towards the end of the season.  :lol: